If you could conduct for one night

Started by Brian, January 03, 2011, 07:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 19, 2013, 11:19:43 AM
Shafran was a great cellist, without a doubt. Thanks for pointing his performance of the Kabalevsky out to me! It looks like it has been reissued on this CD:

Oh boy! Another one for the want list! ::) :D

Oh yes, I have that CD.

By the way, my initial concert was such a Roman Triumph that I have been invited back to conduct.

My second concert has a British Theme.  Here is the programme:

Pre-concert talk:

Vandermolen discusses his life on the international concert circuit, coping with international fame and celebrity and offers advice on how to smuggle CDs past your wife.

Part1

Stanley Bate: Symphony 3

E J Moeran: Cello Concerto

Interval (Vandermolen signs autographs for a small fee)

Part 2

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 6 in E minor

Encore: Elgar: Sospiri

Orchestra: London Philharmonic Orchestra

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 08:53:52 AM
I agree about the Kabelac. I love the way it just keeps building in intensity. That violin solo towards the end is so haunting. :)

Also, I find it very moving when it begins to lose momentum shortly before the end - super work, which I discovered thanks to this forum.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 20, 2013, 09:00:12 AM
If I could conduct for one night . . . I suppose it would be from Chicago to New Orleans
But where would you stop?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 19, 2013, 06:40:26 PM
Maximal Minimalists Series I

Reich: Music for 18 Musicians

-Interval-

Adams: Harmonielehre

Myself conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

Great pieces, but conducting Reich's Music for 18 has to be a boring task. After about Section III, "Alright, you all got this?" - conductor walks off stage.

kyjo

It's Low Countries night!

Adolphe Biarent: Symphonic Poem Trenmor
Rudolf Escher: Musique pour l'esprit en deuil

*intermission*

Leon Orthel: Symphony no. 3
Joseph Jongen: Symphonie Concertante for organ and orchestra (Michael Murray, organ)

Myself conducting the Concertgebouw

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2013, 09:13:00 AM
Great pieces, but conducting Reich's Music for 18 has to be a boring task. After about Section III, "Alright, you all got this?" - conductor walks off stage.

Good point. I would simply play one of the piano parts here. :) This work doesn't need a conductor just a sympathetic ensemble that's on the same page.

Mirror Image

Generation of 1880 Series

Respighi: Three Botticelli Pictures
Malipiero: Violin Concerto No. 1 (Soloist: Frank Peter Zimmermann)

-Interval-

Casella: Sinfonia (Symphony No. 3)

Myself conducting the Orchestra of the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 10:55:20 AM

-Interval-

That's an excellent program idea, John. I especially love the Casella, which is among the most powerful works of the 20th century, I daresay, as well as being the most powerful work by an Italian composer I have ever heard! I would be chomping at the bit even more to attend this concert had you programmed Respighi's Church Windows or Pines of Rome instead of the Three Botticelli Pictures. :) Will your next concert include some Pizzetti, by any chance?

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 11:50:18 AM
That's an excellent program idea, John. I especially love the Casella, which is among the most powerful works of the 20th century, I daresay, as well as being the most powerful work by an Italian composer I have ever heard! I would be chomping at the bit even more to attend this concert had you programmed Respighi's Church Windows or Pines of Rome instead of the Three Botticelli Pictures. :) Will your next concert include some Pizzetti, by any chance?

Yes, I love Church Windows a lot as well, but I wanted to start the program out with something a bit more on the lighter side before getting into the heavier works. Not only that I just love wallowing in the beauty of Three Botticelli Pictures. Yes, I agree with you about the Casella work (my favorite performance is still Alun Francis/Cologne RSO). It's certainly in a league of its' own. Yes, I'll have to include some Pizzetti on the next program as I enjoy his music a good deal.

Gurn Blanston

I thought you only got one night!?!  Man, we better eat dinner early. 0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 10:55:20 AM

-Interval-

Yes, great concert, although I would also have liked 'Church Windows'.

springrite

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2013, 09:13:00 AM

Well, it is Music for 10 Musicians, NOT 19! Hey, you there! #19! F*ck off!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 03, 2011, 12:42:56 PM
Concertgebouw Orchestra

Brahms: Tragic Overture
Magnard: Chant funèbre

Interval

Brian: Third Symphony

I love the Chant Funebre

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 12:29:53 PM
I love the Chant Funebre

Me too, Jeffrey. It's a shame this Timpani disc, which contains the only recording of this stunning work, is out of print:

The other works on this disc (in particular Hymne a Venus) are also magnificent works.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 11:56:53 AM
Yes, I love Church Windows a lot as well, but I wanted to start the program out with something a bit more on the lighter side before getting into the heavier works. Not only that I just love wallowing in the beauty of Three Botticelli Pictures. Yes, I agree with you about the Casella work (my favorite performance is still Alun Francis/Cologne RSO). It's certainly in a league of its' own. Yes, I'll have to include some Pizzetti on the next program as I enjoy his music a good deal.

I wouldn't really consider the Malipiero a "heavy" work, even in comparison to Respighi's Three Botticelli Pictures. Nice Henze avatar, by the way. I couldn't help but notice you had Maconchy up there for only a couple minutes; I guess you didn't want people thinking you are a woman! :D (Forgive me if that is not the reason.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 01:07:38 PM
I wouldn't really consider the Malipiero a "heavy" work, even in comparison to Respighi's Three Botticelli Pictures. Nice Henze avatar, by the way. I couldn't help but notice you had Maconchy up there for only a couple minutes; I guess you didn't want people thinking you are a woman! :D (Forgive me if that is not the reason.)

No, I suppose not. The Schnittke avatar is about to go back up by the way. I think it's too early for Henze as I barely know any of his music and the same applies to Maconchy.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 01:03:02 PM
Me too, Jeffrey. It's a shame this Timpani disc, which contains the only recording of this stunning work, is out of print:

The other works on this disc (in particular Hymne a Venus) are also magnificent works.

Kyle, I have it on an EMI box set of Magnard's symphonies (Plasson).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 02:51:30 PM
Kyle, I have it on an EMI box set of Magnard's symphonies (Plasson).

I'd forgotten about Plasson's recording somehow. :-[ Plasson's recordings of the symphonies can't hold a candle to Ossonce, Sanderling or Ansermet (in no. 3) IMO. BTW your inbox is full, Jeffrey. I've sent you a PM.

Mirror Image

Musical Anarchy Concert Series

Ligeti: Melodien
Ades: Asyla

-Interval-

Sculthorpe: Sun Music I-IV

jochanaan

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 25, 2011, 11:14:30 AM
Very good question! Mine would be quite a long concert :)

Berliner Philharmoniker

Wagner: Prelude from "Tristan und Isolde"
Beethoven: Symphony No.9

Interval

Liszt: Orpheus, symphonic poem No.4
Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

Interval

Mahler: Symphony No.6
Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie

Ilaria
You'd lose the orchestra at the bottom of the Ninth!!! ??? :-[ :P
Imagination + discipline = creativity