GMG's Top 10 Composers

Started by mc ukrneal, January 20, 2011, 01:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who are your top 10 classical composers?

Johan Sebastian Bach
Samuel Barber
Bela Bartok
Ludwig van Beethoven
Alban Berg
Hector Berlioz
Leonard Bernstein
Johannes Brahms
Benjamin Britten
Anton Bruckner
Frederic Chopin
Aaron Copland
Claude Debussy
Antonin Dvorak
Gabriel Faure
George Gershwin
Frederic Handel
Franz Joseph Haydn
Charles Ives
Gyorgy Ligeti
Franz Liszt
Gustav Mahler
Felix Mendelssohn
Olivier Messiean
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Francis Poulenc
Sergei Prokofiev
Giacomo Puccini
Sergei Rachmaninov
Maurice Ravel
Gioacchino Rossini
Domenico Scarlatti
Arnold Schoenberg
Franz Schubert
Robert Schumann
Dmitri Shostakovich
Jean Sibelius
Richard Strauss
Igor Stravinsky
Peter Tchaikovsky
Giuseppe Verdi
Antonio Vivaldi
Richard Wagner

mc ukrneal

I thought it might be interesting to see how our breakdown of the 'favorite 10' compared to the one being done at the New York Times. I included the same choices as they did, allowing for up to 10 votes by each member. I thought this could be fun and lead to some interesting discussion.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Faure, Haydn, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Schubert, Schumann, Tchaikovsky
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Luke

Put Janacek on the list or I take this to the highest authority   >:(   >:(  >:(  ;D  ;D  $:)  $:)

(Not voting till he is there, and I'm sure he's in many other top 10s too)

Luke

p.s. - I like 'Alan Berg'!!!    ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Luke on January 20, 2011, 02:18:52 AM
Put Janacek on the list or I take this to the highest authority   >:(   >:(  >:(  ;D  ;D  $:)  $:)

(Not voting till he is there, and I'm sure he's in many other top 10s too)
Well, we could add people, but I was thinking it would be interesting to compare directly with the NYT version.  We could have another poll later on where we add a few or subtract a few along the way. Alternatively, you could vote for just 9 here (or fewer).

Wanderer

I like the alphabetical listing; so, among the listed choices, for me it would be Beethoven, Berlioz, Brahms, Bruckner, Liszt, Mozart, Ravel, Schubert, Schumann and R. Strauss (left out Bartók, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky and a number of others, listed and unlisted - more votes needed!).

PS. Who's Alan Berg? :-)

Brian

Alan Berg, and Anton Dvorak!

Once I ticked Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, and Shostakovich (imho the top 5), it started getting difficult. Brahms was an easy add, as were Dvorak and Schubert, but then it was merely my own taste which led me to Sibelius and Chopin as my final two. I feel bad about leaving out Berlioz.

I am rather ashamed that none of the 6 GMGers who voted before me included Shostakovich in their top 10.  >:(

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2011, 03:37:33 AM
I am rather ashamed that none of the 6 GMGers who voted before me included Shostakovich in their top 10.  >:(

You should be.

The Diner

You could probably guess mine if you've been paying attention. I had trouble with the tenth one so I threw Sibelius a bone.

Sergeant Rock

Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Haydn, Mahler, Mozart, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Strauss, Wagner

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

And how is it that Cato    0:)    was apparently the first vote for Arnold Schoenberg?!   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

The Diner

Quote from: Cato on January 20, 2011, 04:22:59 AM
And how is it that Cato    0:)    was apparently the first vote for Arnold Schoenberg?!   :o

Because Cato has peculiar tastes?  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on January 20, 2011, 04:22:59 AM

I came very close to voting for him. It came down to Strauss vs Arnie...and my sentimental side won. Arnie takes eleventh place.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Wanderer on January 20, 2011, 03:29:09 AM
PS. Who's Alan Berg? :-)
Hah. I wish I could say that I did that on purpose to see if you were checking, but I knew I'd end up mis-spelling a couple! And then I went ahead and gave Dvorak a new name too! I think I will leave it though (that way you can hold it over me if you want  :o ). Thankfully, you all knew who was meant.

Lethevich

Bartók, Bruckner, Debussy, Dvořák, Fauré, Haydn, Schoenberg, Schumann, Sibelius, Verdi.

That was surprisingly easy, the only big personal ommission for me was RVW.

Edit: I forgot Brahms? What? Ditch Fauré!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 20, 2011, 04:30:41 AMIt came down to Strauss vs Arnie...and my sentimental side won. Arnie takes eleventh place.

Sarge

Strange that your "sentimental side" picked "Strauss" over "Arnie." One would think that your sentimental side would call Strauss "Richie" and Bruckner "Big Tony" rather than giving the eleventh guy a pet name!  0:)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2011, 06:35:14 AM
Strange that your "sentimental side" picked "Strauss" over "Arnie." One would think that your sentimental side would call Strauss "Richie" and Bruckner "Big Tony" rather than giving the eleventh guy a pet name!  0:)

;D :D ;D

Cato

Quote from: mn dave on January 20, 2011, 04:23:43 AM
Because Cato has peculiar tastes?  ;)

Mrs. Cato will verify that, especially if I crank up any of my quarter-tone collection  :o   in her presence!  That usually does not happen, unless for some reason I want to suffer greatly!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

MishaK

Bach
Beethoven
Berg
Brahms
Bruckner
Debussy
Ligeti
Mahler
Mozart
Wagner

Mirror Image

I voted for my three B's (Bruckner, Berg, Bartok), my three S's (Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Sibelius), Ravel, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, and Mahler.