Favorite Ballets

Started by smitty1931, March 25, 2011, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Here is the Nureyev/Fonteyn/Lanchberry 1967 production of Swan Lake.  Vienna Philharmonic.  Choreography by Nureyev.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7HZDa4y2U

Brahmsian

One of my favourite pieces in all of Swan Lake, is the supplementary number, the Russian Dance in Act III for Pelagia Karpakova, that features a part for solo violin.  It is fantastic, gorgeous!  :)

kishnevi

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 05, 2013, 04:37:11 PM
Hi Greg.  Yes, the 'excerpts' really do not do the work justice.  Also, I highly recommend the Fonteyn/Nureyev/Lanchberry DVD (that has the dark, sad ending of Swan Lake).

I prefer that ending, rather than the triumphant, happy ending (the more widely staged one).

There is more darkness in the music in Swan Lake than one might think, not just beautiful music.

Have you ever seen the Bourne production?  It was shown years ago on PBS, and a revised version is now available on DVD.   Completely queers the story (I am using that verb because of its precision) in a Regietheater sort of way,  but very well done.  Defintely emphasizes the darkness.   I have to admit I'm not usually one for extended classic ballets (I was practically bored to death by a PBS presentation of La Bayadere)--seen Swan Lake (again on PBS, which seems to be the only TV channel interested in ballet) years and years ago in a classic production style that did manage to preserve my interest--hero and heroine soared off into the sky at the end, so I assume that means it used "the happy ending".

Brahmsian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 05, 2013, 06:25:13 PM
Have you ever seen the Bourne production?  It was shown years ago on PBS, and a revised version is now available on DVD.   Completely queers the story (I am using that verb because of its precision) in a Regietheater sort of way,  but very well done.  Defintely emphasizes the darkness.   I have to admit I'm not usually one for extended classic ballets (I was practically bored to death by a PBS presentation of La Bayadere)--seen Swan Lake (again on PBS, which seems to be the only TV channel interested in ballet) years and years ago in a classic production style that did manage to preserve my interest--hero and heroine soared off into the sky at the end, so I assume that means it used "the happy ending".

Hmm, no I haven't Santa Bach.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.  Sounds like I should check it out.   :)

mc ukrneal

A bit on the lighter side, but Javotte, by Saint-Saens, is thoroughly enjoyable. In any case, it is the only recording, and only OOP now, but used versions are available. It is well performed and sounds good.
[asin]B0001FYR0I[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brahmsian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 06, 2013, 04:07:09 PM
A bit on the lighter side, but Javotte, by Saint-Saens, is thoroughly enjoyable. In any case, it is the only recording, and only OOP now, but used versions are available. It is well performed and sounds good.
[asin]B0001FYR0I[/asin]

Neal, one learns something new every day.  I did not know that Saint-Saens wrote a ballet.  :o

Brahmsian

December Ballet Month (DBM), with more Stravinsky:

Stravinsky

L'Oiseau de Feu

Stravinsky conducting

Columbia Symphony Orchestra

[asin]B000PTYUQG[/asin]

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 06, 2013, 04:08:11 PM
Neal, one learns something new every day.  I did not know that Saint-Saens wrote a ballet.  :o
It's his only ballet I believe. You can get a flavor for it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WU4bjtQn_c
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Madiel

Hmmph. As I mentioned in the main listening thread, I'm all ballet-enthused again at the moment, thanks to Daphnis and Chloe and reminiscing about a wonderful Ballet Russes exhibition.

But I don't have much ballet in my collection.  I've got Stravinsky's first three, but I don't love the performances. Then there's Delibes' ballets (relatively recent purchase), and Daphnis, and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet... and Pletnev's piano version of music from Sleeping Beauty... and then I've virtually run out.

I feel like I want to rectify this, but on the other hand I'm not totally in love with listening to ballet music without seeing it. A couple of years ago I saw a performance of Romeo and Juliet live on stage and it was superb, my whole family thought it was probably the best ballet we'd ever seen. It came alive through the combination of the music with physical expression.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Orfeo if the ballet is indeed great music, it can stand on it's own without the choreography, dancers, etc. People listen to opera recordings all the time on here and don't stress about actually seeing it. If the music is good, then everything else is irrelevant at that point, wouldn't you think?

Mirror Image

Of course, I've got to mention my love for Falla's El sombrero de tres picos and El amor brujo. 8)

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2013, 05:28:22 AM
Orfeo if the ballet is indeed great music, it can stand on it's own without the choreography, dancers, etc. People listen to opera recordings all the time on here and don't stress about actually seeing it. If the music is good, then everything else is irrelevant at that point, wouldn't you think?

Well no, not entirely, and I don't think opera stands in the same category.  At the end of the day, one of the primary things that opera characters do is sing, or indeed speak. They are aural characters.  Yes, they also stand on stage and over-act, but there's a strong aural component.

With ballet, the characters you are watching make no sound and have no dialogue. You don't retain anything of them directly in an audio recording. And I think that does make at least some difference. An opera character just standing there can still do something. A ballet character just standing there is just standing there.

I can certainly enjoy the ballet music, and I can hear the difference in quality, for example, between Minkus and Delibes in La Source that shows the talent of the latter. But without movement, far more of the story-telling capacity is lost than occurs with opera.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on December 07, 2013, 06:10:55 AM
Well no, not entirely, and I don't think opera stands in the same category.  At the end of the day, one of the primary things that opera characters do is sing, or indeed speak. They are aural characters.  Yes, they also stand on stage and over-act, but there's a strong aural component.

With ballet, the characters you are watching make no sound and have no dialogue. You don't retain anything of them directly in an audio recording. And I think that does make at least some difference. An opera character just standing there can still do something. A ballet character just standing there is just standing there.

I can certainly enjoy the ballet music, and I can hear the difference in quality, for example, between Minkus and Delibes in La Source that shows the talent of the latter. But without movement, far more of the story-telling capacity is lost than occurs with opera.

At the end of the day, we're listening to music and music is enjoyed as an aural experience. I personally don't need to follow a story or cast of characters to enjoy a piece of music. It's the music itself that I'm attracted to, nothing else.

Brahmsian

Yesterday for DBM , listened to the terrific and entertaining Shostakovich Ballet Suites

[asin]B0002TXT3Y[/asin]

Brahmsian

Now listening to three of these Stravinsky works for DBM, (only one of which I enjoy)  ;D

The Wedding
Renard the Fox
The Soldier's Tale Suite

Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky

I enjoy 'The Soldier's Tale', I can kind of tolerate 'The Wedding', but I cannot stomach 'Renard the Fox'.  :P 

I still love Stravinsky!  :D

[asin]B000PTYUQG[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 08, 2013, 05:47:36 AM
Yesterday for DBM , listened to the terrific and entertaining Shostakovich Ballet Suites

[asin]B0002TXT3Y[/asin]

Yes, those are great, Ray. BTW, have you heard The Bolt in its entirety? You'll dig this ballet. Only one recording exists of the complete score and it's with Rozhdestvensky/Royal Stockholm PO on Chandos.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2013, 07:08:27 AM
Yes, those are great, Ray. BTW, have you heard The Bolt in its entirety? You'll dig this ballet. Only one recording exists of the complete score and it's with Rozhdestvensky/Royal Stockholm PO on Chandos.

No, I haven't John.  I was just going to ask for recommendations of both 'The Bolt', and 'The Limpid Stream', the complete ballets.

Thanks for that recommendation for the complete Bolt recording.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 08, 2013, 07:10:03 AM
No, I haven't John.  I was just going to ask for recommendations of both 'The Bolt', and 'The Limpid Stream', the complete ballets.

Thanks for that recommendation for the complete Bolt recording.  :)

No problem, Ray. The Limpid Stream also exists with only one complete recording and, again, it's with Rozhdestvensky on Chandos.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2013, 08:02:39 AM
No problem, Ray. The Limpid Stream also exists with only one complete recording and, again, it's with Rozhdestvensky on Chandos.

Excellent.  Too bad there are so few recordings of Shostakovich's complete ballets.  :(

Brahmsian

Now listening to Adam's Giselle.  Gorgeous performance!  :)

Bonynge
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

[asin]B002HI6XUO[/asin]