Contemporary Symphonists

Started by Grazioso, March 28, 2011, 10:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazioso

All right, who's writing them and which are worth a listen? Any particular composers or recordings that stand out?

By "contemporary symphonist," I mean a living composer who's written at least two symphonies (and for practical purposes, at least some of which are available on CD). Here are some I'm aware of:

Adams (if you include the Chamber Symphony with Dr. Atomic)
Aho
Bolcom
Coates
Cooman
Corigliano
Glass
Hailstork
Henze
Hersch
S. Jones
Kaipainen
Kancheli
Kochan
MacMillan
Norgard
Part
Pavlova
Rautavaara
Rorem
Ruders
Sallinen
Silvestrov
Tuur
Vasks
Vine
Yoshimatsu
Zwilich

Please correct any errors.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

lescamil

I'll throw in another good word for Kalevi Aho. Speaking of which, his 15th symphony (!) is getting its world premiere this Friday and it will be broadcasted on Radio 3. I am personally extremely excited, having heard most of the other symphonies and I feel that he is one of the most consistent composers today. Aho has written a TON of music and, from what I have heard, he has had very few "duds" that fail to impress, even his early works that reek of Shostakovich.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Grazioso on March 28, 2011, 10:37:13 AM

By "contemporary symphonist," I mean a living composer who's written at least two symphonies

If we stick to living, I find the field a lot thinner than it was only 10-15 years ago, when figures like Simpson, Arnold, Rochberg and Holmboe were still around.

But anyway: of those still among us, I probably like Sallinen (symphonies 4, 5 and 8 specifically) the most. Norgard (also on your list) is another Nordic symphonist you should check out. Christopher Rouse has written 2 symphonies (I like #2 quite a lot, haven't heard the 1st).

You didn't list Elliott Carter, still kicking at 102, and the author of a couple of symphonies. You didn't list Penderecki either - symphonically a mixed bag, but I like #3 a lot, and was favorably impressed by #8. Dutilleux (another extremely old guy still composing) has written 2 symphonies, I think.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Cato

Penderecki I would think should be on your list, although I know that some people do not care for that direction in his music.

Jay Greenberg?  Schirmer has taken him on as one of their composers!

Leif Segerstam
has written (supposedly) around 200 symphonies: I have not been impressed by the two I have heard.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Grazioso on March 28, 2011, 10:37:13 AM
All right, who's writing them and which are worth a listen? Any particular composers or recordings that stand out?

By "contemporary symphonist," I mean a living composer who's written at least two symphonies (and for practical purposes, at least some of which are available on CD). Here are some I'm aware of:

Adams (if you include the Chamber Symphony)
Aho
Bolcom
Coates
Cooman
Corigliano
Glass
Hailstork
Henze
Hersch
S. Jones
Kaipainen
Kancheli
Kochan
MacMillan
Norgard
Part
Pavlova
Rautavaara
Rorem
Ruders
Sallinen
Silvestrov
Tuur
Vasks
Vine
Yoshimatsu
Zwilich

Please correct any errors.

Of your list, Part, Vine, Rautavaara, Norgard, and Rorem stand out the most to me. Adams can't really be counted as he's not a true symphonist or shall I say hasn't dedicated any time into expanding on this side of his art.

Grazioso

Quote from: Velimir on March 28, 2011, 10:48:58 AM
If we stick to living, I find the field a lot thinner than it was only 10-15 years ago, when figures like Simpson, Arnold, Rochberg and Holmboe were still around.

It's funny: I have around 700 symphonies in my collection, including many deceased 20th-century composers like Simpson, Arnold, and Holmboe, but I realize I have precious few symphonies by composers who are still with us :(

But anyway: of those still among us, I probably like Sallinen (symphonies 4, 5 and 8 specifically) the most. Norgard (also on your list) is another Nordic symphonist you should check out. Christopher Rouse has written 2 symphonies (I like #2 quite a lot, haven't heard the 1st).

I have a few Norgard discs; his 3rd symphony is a favorite. What's Sallinen's style like?

You didn't list Elliott Carter, still kicking at 102, and the author of a couple of symphonies. You didn't list Penderecki either - symphonically a mixed bag, but I like #3 a lot, and was favorably impressed by #8. Dutilleux (another extremely old guy still composing) has written 2 symphonies, I think.

Quite right. Heard a couple of Penderecki's essays in the genre a number of years back; they didn't make much of an impression at the time, but I should give them another try.

Grazioso

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2011, 11:04:45 AM
Of your list, Part, Vine, Rautavaara, Norgard, and Rorem stand out the most to me. Adams can't really be counted as he's not a true symphonist or shall I say hasn't dedicated any time into expanding on this side of his art.

Vine I've yet to hear, but want to. I'll second the vote for Part (though I haven't heard the recent 4th yet), Rautavaara (all in a convenient box set now), and Rorem. I wish Rorem would give the genre another go after all these decades of focusing elsewhere.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Grazioso on March 28, 2011, 11:14:12 AM
Vine I've yet to hear, but want to. I'll second the vote for Part (though I haven't heard the recent 4th yet), Rautavaara (all in a convenient box set now), and Rorem. I wish Rorem would give the genre another go after all these decades of focusing elsewhere.

Vine is an excellent symphonist. I think his obscurity outside of Australia is a shame (as is Sculthorpe for that matter). It's very hard to describe Vine's symphonies: Minimalist, almost sometimes electronic sonorities, Bartokian, splashes of Neoclassicism, Impressionism, and Expressionism here and there. They're pretty much all over the map. You just have hear them. There is only one set of them available and its on the ABC Classics label. You can buy it on Amazon for around $20, but that may seem like a lot for 2-CDs. It's worth it I think. Here's a link:

[asin]B000BZDG1E[/asin]

The new erato

I recommend Sallinen strongly. I find him to be a latter day Sibelius, at least mystery and nature-lyricism runs rampant in his work. What I've heard of Nørgårs (3 + 7 is very good); I'm still undecided on Rautavaara. The Vine cycle is good. Henze is a nut I've never managed to crack.

lescamil

I was personally very disappointed with Arvo Pärt's Symphony No. 4. I don't hear anything "Los Angeles" about it, and I have lived here my whole life. It is also one of his most static pieces, and that really says something about the piece, considering Pärt's other recent works. He should really stick to vocal music. On the other hand, I really love the other three symphonies (even the second one, which is pretty maligned).

I'm surprised that no one has expanded on James MacMillan, another composer who has written solid music consistently. His three symphonies are all very similar works, all composed in a serious vein. The first symphony, subtitled "Vigil", is the last part of his "Triduum" cycle of works (the others are The World's Ransoming [a cor anglais concerto] and his Cello Concerto). It is an extremely dark work with some incredibly intense moments. The second symphony is, believe it or not, a transcription of his Piano Sonata for a full orchestra, but with many added elements. It comes across as a very atmospheric work, and the piano sonata that it was based on is representative of the desolation of the Scottish winters. The third symphony, subtitled "Silence", is perhaps the most interesting of the three, with a lot of influences coming from the Far East (some obvious, not so obvious), and it is music that "depicts silence", in the words of the author of the liner notes.

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

Lethevich

David Matthews has written seven symphonies, although I have heard none of them. They seem somewhat relevent to fans of the English style and I will inevitably check them out in future.

Like lescamil, I feel that Pärt's inclusion as a contemporary "symphonist" cruely draws attention to his latest quite poor effort - but I suppose if he was willing to put his name to that, more may come, and it's the title that matters. His only superb symphony was published exactly fourty years ago :-X

Tüür's general vocabulary seems somewhat daunting to some, but his 3rd symphony is rather baltic in sound and well-worth checking to fans of the style, although there is no Vasks-style delightfully wooly Romantic padding in it.

Henze is a major voice, albeit an echoing one - but even his most recent, the tenth, is a work of quite some interest and his most accessable so far. Kancheli is easy to dismiss as a gimicky composer, but what a gimmick it is, and you need only a couple of his works. The seventh symphony is quite poor, but okay easy-listening, but the fifth and sixth are inimitable. They can be criticised from all number of directions but the experience still manages to drown out these thoughts. But he's long since abandoned the form.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: lescamil on March 28, 2011, 03:25:21 PM
I was personally very disappointed with Arvo Pärt's Symphony No. 4. I don't hear anything "Los Angeles" about it, and I have lived here my whole life. It is also one of his most static pieces, and that really says something about the piece, considering Pärt's other recent works. He should really stick to vocal music. On the other hand, I really love the other three symphonies (even the second one, which is pretty maligned).

I'm surprised that no one has expanded on James MacMillan, another composer who has written solid music consistently. His three symphonies are all very similar works, all composed in a serious vein. The first symphony, subtitled "Vigil", is the last part of his "Triduum" cycle of works (the others are The World's Ransoming [a cor anglais concerto] and his Cello Concerto). It is an extremely dark work with some incredibly intense moments. The second symphony is, believe it or not, a transcription of his Piano Sonata for a full orchestra, but with many added elements. It comes across as a very atmospheric work, and the piano sonata that it was based on is representative of the desolation of the Scottish winters. The third symphony, subtitled "Silence", is perhaps the most interesting of the three, with a lot of influences coming from the Far East (some obvious, not so obvious), and it is music that "depicts silence", in the words of the author of the liner notes.

I agree about Part's fourth symphony. It was quite disappointing, especially considering how effectively he has composed for orchestra with his Symphony No. 3, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten, Tabula Rasa, among others.

As far as James MacMillan is concerned, I haven't heard anything by him. This will soon change however.

Lethevich

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
As far as James MacMillan is concerned, I haven't heard anything by him. This will soon change however.

Same! Lescamil's description has me intrigued. I am aware of MacMillan's basic style, and it's highly enjoyable, but wasn't aware of any symphonies penned by his hand.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on March 28, 2011, 04:49:24 PM
Same! Lescamil's description has me intrigued. I am aware of MacMillan's basic style, and it's highly enjoyable, but wasn't aware of any symphonies penned by his hand.

I just bought a slew of MacMillan recordings. Stay tuned in the "Purchases" thread. :D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Grazioso on March 28, 2011, 11:11:39 AM
I have a few Norgard discs; his 3rd symphony is a favorite. What's Sallinen's style like?

Generally quite tonal in the style of post-Sibelius Nordic composers, with the "mystery and nature-lyricism" as noted by erato...he also has quite a harsh and "military" side, reminiscent of Prokofiev or Hindemith, which manifests in pieces like the 4th Symphony.

I must check out Carl Vine; many recs for him here. I'm kind of put off by that cover photo though - it looks like a dog turd sitting on the snow  :o
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on March 28, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Generally quite tonal in the style of post-Sibelius Nordic composers, with the "mystery and nature-lyricism" as noted by erato...he also has quite a harsh and "military" side, reminiscent of Prokofiev or Hindemith, which manifests in pieces like the 4th Symphony.

I must check out Carl Vine; many recs for him here. I'm kind of put off by that cover photo though - it looks like a dog turd sitting on the snow  :o

I do need to revisit Norgard too! My goodness so much to listen to! Anyway, yes, the cover for the Vine symphonies is not very flattering, but, ultimately, it's the music that counts, right?

The new erato

Quote from: toucan on March 28, 2011, 04:59:23 PM
There is one living composer who is a very great composer who wrote two symphonies: that's Henry Dutilleux. In fact, his second Symphony ends on the chords with which Métaboles begins: isn't that something?

How could we all forget that! I'm a firm fan. Interesting how Dutilleux, in comparison to Carter, has managed to slip from the public eye.

Maciek

At least one of Krzysztof Meyer's symphonies is available on CD (no. 7 on Dux).

Same goes for Wojciech Kilar (September Symphony on CD Accord).

Luke

Quote from: lescamil on March 28, 2011, 03:25:21 PM

Doesn't he mean the 'Los Angeles' of the title, though deriving from and inspired by the commission, to refer to angels. I agree, though, that Part's later orchestral works, and indeed most of his music of the last 20 years, is disappointing. But I've discussed that elsewhere.

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on March 28, 2011, 03:52:17 PMKancheli is easy to dismiss as a gimicky composer, but what a gimmick it is, and you need only a couple of his works. The seventh symphony is quite poor, but okay easy-listening, but the fifth and sixth are inimitable. They can be criticised from all number of directions but the experience still manages to drown out these thoughts. But he's long since abandoned the form.

Agree on all this. You need to pick and choose with Kancheli though - the 'gimmick' is relatviely consistent, but sometimes he lets himself down badly. The two concertante viola pieces are an example - Vom Winde beweint is exquisite, filled with the best Kancheli, convincing and full of conviction, passionate, wonderful. Styx is just hideous. For a starter, I'd go for the two symphonies you suggest, the ECM disc with a la duduki and Trauerfarbenes Land, and the Bashmet/Kakhidze Vom Winde coupled with Bright Sorrow.

lescamil

Quote from: Maciek on March 29, 2011, 12:21:57 AM
At least one of Krzysztof Meyer's symphonies is available on CD (no. 7 on Naxos).

Don't you mean the Dux recording with the Double Concerto? I think only some string quartets of his are on Naxos. Also, here's to hoping more of Meyer's works get recorded.

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall