Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on June 15, 2011, 07:05:10 AM
(Early) Webern.

It's not Op 1, is it? Greg once posted a clip of Op 1 in a game like this and I was captivated by it, just like I am by this.

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2011, 07:57:14 AM
It's not Op 1, is it? Greg once posted a clip of Op 1 in a game like this and I was captivated by it, just like I am by this.

I have Op. 1 in mind. I remember hearing quite a bit of Mahler in it during my first, and I think my only listen.
Regards,
Navneeth

Amfortas

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2011, 07:57:14 AM

No it isn't the Webern Passacaglia, nor Webern at all. This comes from a later date. It's from a symphony, but I would not expect anyone to identify the exact work The composer is know on the board, and he's well worth getting to know better.
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

DavidW

Dark, brooding symphony I would think either Pettersson or a late Arnold symphony. ;D

Amfortas

Quote from: DavidW on June 15, 2011, 08:07:37 AM
Dark, brooding symphony I would think either Pettersson or a late Arnold symphony. ;D

Closer with both, more concise than Pettersson, more consistently brooding than Arnold.

His style combined 12-tone elements with tonal methods. You could say he composed 'melodically' with 12-tone, not a strict dodecaphonist.
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

Brian

Lethevich

Quote from: Amfortas on June 15, 2011, 08:23:46 AM
Closer with both, more concise than Pettersson, more consistently brooding than Arnold.

His style combined 12-tone elements with tonal methods. You could say he composed 'melodically' with 12-tone, not a strict dodecaphonist.

Sounds kinda like Searle - I'll guess him as Brian has already done Frankel. I tend to closely associate the two.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Amfortas

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 15, 2011, 08:35:27 AM
Sounds kinda like Searle - I'll guess him as Brian has already done Frankel. I tend to closely associate the two.

:o well, you inadvertantly guessed: Benjamin Frankel - Lento, the third and final movement of Symphony 4, op. 44

Good work melomaniacs!  ;D

EDIT: I just saw Brian had guessed Frankel just before the last post...so he's the 'winner' :)

DavidW

Ha!  I've heard that work but I didn't recognize it!  Well it's been a few years I should have a fresh listen.  He was one of the most underrated composers I can think of. :)

Amfortas

Quote from: DavidW on June 15, 2011, 09:08:32 AM
Ha!  I've heard that work but I didn't recognize it!  Well it's been a few years I should have a fresh listen.  He was one of the most underrated composers I can think of. :)

Totally agree, if you can even call him 'rated' at all, since most have never heard of him. I notice that several of the CPO CDs are now out of print  :(

Brian

Quote from: Amfortas on June 15, 2011, 08:39:12 AM
EDIT: I just saw Brian had guessed Frankel just before the last post...so he's the 'winner' :)

I knew Frankel previously only from his - was it a viola concerto? Think so. On CPO. Pity to hear those discs are going out of print - that clip has me raring to hear the rest of the symphony. Really enjoyed it.

Perhaps now that I finally won the right to post a clip fair and square, I'll just redirect folks to the clip I uploaded earlier, unfairly and in a presumably ovaloid fashion:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12672585/mysteryclip5.mp3

Amfortas

Quite the antidote to my last one: extroverted and scintillating. I like it but can't begin to guess at this point

listener

GOTTSCHALK   Grande Tarantelle for piano and orchestra ?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

Quote from: listener on June 15, 2011, 11:09:03 PM
Tarantelle

Excellent guess - it is a tarantella, though not by Gottschalk!

Amfortas

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2011, 02:52:14 AM
Excellent guess - it is a tarantella, though not by Gottschalk!

Not the Tarantella by Elliott Carter (1936)?

J.Z. Herrenberg

I know it... But can't remember! For one reason or another, I was reminded of Rachmaninov's Paganini Variations.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brian

Not much keenness for this one so I'll wait for the Americans to have lunch over it - wishing it had been Carter! drat - before revealing the answer. If nobody's identified the correct tarantella by then...

Amfortas

And what about Alan Rawsthorne?

Brian

Oooh, if that's what Rawsthorne sounds like, I need to be listening to more Rawsthorne.

No, this work technically is a 20th century piece, but only barely, and indeed only on a technicality! It was orchestrated in the 20th century...

karlhenning