Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amfortas

Guessing the new clip:

.....Prince Igor (Borodin).....?
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

mszczuj

mszczuj

This is not the most popular work of its composer, and is really very rare performed complete, but some parts of it are more frequently recorded. One of them is even sort of a hit and you can find them on some favorite-super hits-encores records and played by Boston or Cincinnati Pops. Alas this hit is one of less interesting pieces of its composer. I think the piece of our clip is much much more enjoyable.

Once again link to the clip:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/OdGyfV_M/aa_aa_a_aa.html?

Amfortas

Something by Khatchaturian?
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

mszczuj

This composer is rather more popular than Khatchaturian and rather more popular than Borodin.

Amfortas

mszczuj

The Mystery Composer had never been in Russia.

Hattoff

One of Sibelius' little known choruses?

mszczuj

When Sibelius was born Finland was in Russia.

Hattoff

mszczuj

The Mistery Composer is rather more popular than Sibelius.

listener

soounds quasi-oriental, a chorus from SAINT-SAËNS Samson and Delilah?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

canninator

Shooting from the hip..Carl Orff?

mszczuj

Quote from: listener on July 27, 2011, 12:06:47 AM
soounds quasi-oriental,

Yes. This was the purpose of the composer.

a chorus from SAINT-SAËNS Samson and Delilah?

No.

The Mystery Composer is rather more popular than Saint-Saëns.

Quote from: Il Furioso on July 27, 2011, 12:09:00 AM
Shooting from the hip..Carl Orff?

Or than Orff.

Hattoff

Verdi? Getting desperate, but no, but yes, Verdi.

mszczuj

Quote from: Hattoff on July 27, 2011, 03:17:47 PM
Verdi? Getting desperate, but no, but yes, Verdi.

No.

And yes. The Mystery Composer is rather more popular than Verdi,

listener

'Dervishes' was the first word that came to my mind, but none in Berlioz Damnation..or L'Enfance de Christ, but yea, more famous than Verdi, and rarely heard complete although we did have an example of creative programming locally when some excerpts complemented a performance of Liszt's Fantasia on themes from Beethoven's The Ruins of Athens.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mszczuj

Quote from: listener on July 27, 2011, 09:20:59 PM
Beethoven's The Ruins of Athens.

[asin]B000001GZ6[/asin]

Chor der Derwische: Du hast in deine Ärmels Falten den Mond getragen (CD4 Track 04)

RIAS-Kammerchor
Berliner Philharmoniker
Bernhard Klee

I had to choose fragment without german words - so it was not so spectacular as it is when listened from the beginning.

Oh, and I had to be little unfair with one answer. I didn't mention that The Mystery Composer was rather more popular than Tchaikovsky.

listener

Amfortas

Paganini: Variations on "Carnival of Venice"?