Objective review of Republican candidates for President

Started by Todd, August 13, 2011, 07:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

The new erato

Some of these candidates scares the shit out of me.

Karl Henning

Herman Cain, Rick Santorum and Newt: Rum, Sodomy & the Lash
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

Quote from: The new erato on January 05, 2012, 06:35:55 AM
Some of these candidates scares the shit out of me.

They scare you?  How do you think I feel, living in the same country as them?

And, what is worse, living in the same country as the people who seriously think they would be good as President.

Todd

Quote from: The new erato on January 05, 2012, 06:35:55 AMSome of these candidates scares the shit out of me.

Those same candidates are the ones the Obama team would love to run against.  If, by some miracle (?), Ron Paul got the nod, Obama would crush him like a bug in a race that would make '32, '64, and '84 look like hotly contested races.  Santorum would not get crushed quite so badly.  No, he'd be the Republican Walter Mondale.  Gingrich would be a nastier Bob Dole.  Perry doesn't matter.  Bachmann is out.  You have nothing to fear.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 05, 2012, 06:59:22 AM

And, what is worse, living in the same country as the people who seriously think they would be good as President.
Yes, I was thinking of posting that what's really scary is that a sigificant number of people actually vote for them when, as Todd points out; they actually stand few chances of winning.

mahler10th

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 05, 2012, 06:59:22 AM

Yes.  From what I can see from over here, not one of them would get my vote.  Perhaps a kick in the balls and a word to get real would be more appropriate.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 05, 2012, 07:06:26 AMYes.  From what I can see from over here, not one of them would get my vote. 

Good thing they aren't running in Scotland.  In a way, your post reminds me a poll in 2004, when John Kerry polled at something like 90% in one Scandinavian country.  (Can't remember if it was Denmark or Norway.)  I understand why various foreign people may dislike certain candidates, but the US electorate has its own priorities.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DieNacht

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 05, 2012, 07:28:23 AM
It's not a windsurfing climate :(

In case Kerry is a secret reader here: Not quite true.

http://www.datrip.com/home/europe/Denmark/north_sea_areas/Klitmoller/klitmoller.html

Klitmøller
The once sleepy fishing village became northern Europes windsurfing mekka in the mid 90´s. This was the place to go when You wanted to do serious wavesailing at the north sea. The reason for that is the bend in the coastline which gives one of the rare opportunities in Denmark to sail west wind directions more or less sideshore. Plus the sometimes huge waves that come to this part of the coast. So everybody who considered him- or herself as serious wavesailor came here. The wind was good, the waves were good, parking was easy, campgrounds and appartements offered plenty of opportunities to spend the night, parties in the Braendingen or the one or other appartement were legendary, the mood was cult.

In 1995 the guys from the surfers magazine started the first soulwave contest. This contest combined windsurfing,surfing and kiteboarding under the name of soul. Parties have been legendary.

... windsurfing: with winds from the south to southwest musselreef is still one of the best wavesailing locations in Europe. It rains a lot with these conditions and currents are strong but wind and waves allow for very fine wavesailing and jumping. Wave 360´s, aerials, push loops and freestyle tricks at the inside are shown by local danes and visiting germans, swedes or other nordic folks when musselreef is on. The level is very high and conditions can get very challenging. Westerly winds are o.k. inside the bay. They bring also some decent waves but the orientation of the breaks is just not ideal. Still very good jumping though. Northwest is still sailable but no fun. North is full onshore inside the bay but makes the musselreef work again. Northeast after a strom passed brings unreal wavesailing conditions at the musselreef again. Bring waveboards and small sails. 

jowcol

Quote from: Greg on January 04, 2012, 08:04:23 AM
Well, if you can't make yourself look good, I guess making your opponent look bad is the only other option...  :-X

That seems to be the winning formula these days....
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: James on January 05, 2012, 07:23:11 AMPaul would absolutely DESTROY Obama in a debate.

Nonsense.  Ron Paul is a doofus.  All Obama would have to do is mention drug policy and let Paul ramble on like an idiot.  Then Obama could bring up the Fed and currency and banks and let Paul ramble on like an idiot.  Then Obama could bring up foreign policy and let Paul ramble on like an idiot.  An easy winning formula.

Todd

Quote from: toucan on January 05, 2012, 01:36:45 PMAnd then Ron Paul's lamest grandchild can bring up the state of the economy and let Obama ramble like an idiot...

If current trends continue - which is somewhat dependent on the dimwits of Europe getting their collective act together - the economy should be in better shape around election time.  Unemployment will be lower, though still not at anywhere near 5%-6%, and growth should pick up a bit.  Obama will not have the type of conditions that prevailed in 1984, but they will be moving in a positive direction.  That and a comparatively weak Republican candidate in Romney, or any other candidate from the current field, will help.  I'm not a particular fan of Obama, excluding his most recent foreign policy moves which I rather like, I'm just looking at the economic and political realities.  And one of those realities is that Ron Paul is a doofus.

As to anyone who places any credence in the ramblings of Paul and his ilk, I'd love to see an explanation as to how the monetary policy he espouses would be helpful in the current economic climate.  Something more than 'the Fed is printing lots of money' would be nice. 

Todd

Quote from: James on January 05, 2012, 03:57:12 PMIn a fair & balanced debate situation Paul would just rip Obama apart on the issues.

More nonsense.  It is good, though, to see the type of person who supports Paul.  Obama is hardly the sage the left portrays him to be, but he's much smarter than Paul, and much savvier politically.  That's why he is president and why Ron Paul has managed to pass about 0.2% of bills he's introduced in Congress. 

As to his being informed, well, you are easily duped.  Paul is a charlatan, and anyone with basic education in economics knows it.   The reason I asked you - apparently a proud Paul supporter - to explain how Paul's monetary policy ideas will help the economy is because I want to know what you have absorbed, and how you can explain it.  Using references to YouTube to appear informed doesn't work; you appear to be another typical Paul supporter who falls for charlatanism every time, and confuses internet proselytizing for substance.  (I'll leave reading candidates' tomes to others.)  So again, I ask you, or another Paul supporter, please explain how Paul's preferred policies will help.

jowcol

Quote from: James on January 05, 2012, 07:23:11 AM
Paul would absolutely DESTROY Obama in a debate.

I don't think that Obama has much under the surface, but he's performed well in debates.  I would also say that, unfortunately, winning a debate has little to do with the soundness of arguments, but rather how well the person delivers the buzzwords and "warm and fuzzies".   Unfortunately, it's more like the Q&A portion of a a beauty pageant than an intellectual debate.   Obama still might take the swimsuit competition.

I'm not on board with Paul in general, but he has been more consistent in aligning his actions with philosophy than most of the other candidates to date. 
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: James on January 05, 2012, 07:23:11 AM
Paul would absolutely DESTROY Obama in a debate.

Pfffft! Your view is totally corrupt here. ROFLMAO
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA