Objective review of Republican candidates for President

Started by Todd, August 13, 2011, 07:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on January 20, 2012, 11:49:32 AM
Dude, I'm listening to Monk Plays the Duke, cuz I know you dig it, too : )

That's a good reason to listen to something.  ;D

Todd

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 20, 2012, 10:29:07 AMHow do these people get away with being so corrupt

Since when is obstinacy the same as corruption?  His behavior is perhaps a bit baffling, because he will have to release them eventually, at which point the world will be shocked to learn that he is a wealthy man with a large income who pays a tax rate many people envy.  I don't know how I'll take the news.  The delay in releasing will then be a non-issue.

While I know rich people are inherently bad – they must be, they're rich – I must say that Gingrich's revelation that he paid 31% makes him look less presidential.  What, he couldn't hire good accountants and lawyers to lower his bill?  Does this show that he knows how to select the right people to fill key positions?

Remember, this election will follow the same logic as 1992: It's the economy, stupid.  If things improve enough, and are getting better, Barry gets another four years, barring some major surprise in the fall.  If not, he's vulnerable.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

We cannot have a president named Newt.  (There must be a Seussian poem in there somewhere.)

Karl Henning

Not having So. Carolina seal the deal for Mitt is just so right, though.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on January 20, 2012, 11:58:31 AMNot having So. Carolina seal the deal for Mitt is just so right, though.

Yes, much better to have it decided in Florida, that bastion of well managed elections.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

As much as Newt hates ABC, I see a nice tie-in if he wins: Presidential Wife Swap.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Todd on January 20, 2012, 11:52:03 AM
I must say that Gingrich's revelation that he paid 31% makes him look less presidential.  What, he couldn't hire good accountants and lawyers to lower his bill? 

Maybe he just loves his country, and knows it needs the money more than he does.   ;D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Wendell_E

Quote from: toucan on January 20, 2012, 10:44:10 PM
Question to Newt: if elected, will Callista be the First Lady or is there another girl in training right now?

And if wife #2's claims that Callista is willing to share are true, will there be a Second or Third Lady?  Who would have thought, it be a Catholic, rather than one of the Mormons, who wanted to practice polygamy?

Probably a moot point.  It's getting harder and harder to see Michelle not getting four more years.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

jowcol

Quote from: Ataraxia on January 20, 2012, 11:44:51 AM
I only know she's evil. I really, really, really hate politicians so I don't pay much attention until it's time to vote at which point I vote for the lesser evil.

I'm sure Cthulhu and all the elder ones fear Bachmann too.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

drogulus

Quote from: toucan on January 20, 2012, 10:44:10 PM
Question to Newt: if elected, will Callista be the First Lady or is there another girl in training right now?

Newt: Let me answer that by saying how despicable it is for you to raise this question and yes, both.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

I must admit that I find the attacks on Newt Gingrich's personal life uncalled for and beside the point.  The man is a loathsome douchebag based solely on political grounds.

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on January 21, 2012, 06:59:43 AM
I must admit that I find the attacks on Newt Gingrich's personal life uncalled for and beside the point.  The man is a loathsome douchebag based solely on political grounds.

I'm inclined to agree with your point, but Newt makes it very, very difficult to ignore his behavior given the colossal level of hypocrisy involved in his constant moralizing, as well as his revolting brandishing of his religious conversion. Just because Newt can find a god somewhere gullible enough to forgive him doesn't mean we have to. In the end, though, voters aren't going to make Newt the next President. He's a twofer, both corrupt and fanatical. The closer you get to him the more odious he appears. Ask his former colleagues, who for some strange reason don't love him.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

Quote from: drogulus on January 21, 2012, 07:38:57 AMI'm inclined to agree with your point

I was joking.  The man is loathsome all the way around and should be criticized accordingly.

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on January 21, 2012, 07:42:12 AM

I was joking.  The man is loathsome all the way around and should be criticized accordingly.

Of course, this is not just infidelity, it rises to the level of creepiness. I mean, how does anyone put up with this guy? If I was in a room with him I'd be tempted to slowly edge my way out: "Uh, excuse me, but I need to feed the parking meter." And I don't have a car.

Superhorn

I'm voting for Santa Claus as President, with the Tooth Faity for Vice President.  They'll do a much better job than any of the Republicans.

;D                                    ;D                                        ;D                                              ;D

Superhorn

Oops. That should read Tooth Fairy,not Tooth Faity.  Finger slip,as usual.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: toucan on January 22, 2012, 07:18:44 AM
What you're saying is, you'd rather be fooled by the promises of Democrats, than heed the calls for budgetary discipline of Republicans...
Um, wasn't it a Republican who worsened the budgetary discipline?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!