Objective review of Republican candidates for President

Started by Todd, August 13, 2011, 07:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: toucan on January 22, 2012, 07:18:44 AM
What you're saying is, you'd rather be fooled by the promises of Democrats, than heed the calls for budgetary discipline of Republicans...

It's an obvious point, I suppose, but the only people who "heed the calls for budgetary discipline" are Democrats. That's why they raise taxes, when they do, because paying for what you buy with tax revenue is budgetary discipline. Republicans used to care about this but that was a long, long time ago. In budget terms they are a bunch of sociopaths now, driving the country into ever more extreme crisis while spouting preposterously dissonant rhetoric about "discipline". What a joke!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Lethevich

>42% of SC Evangelicals voted for Gingrich - the guy who admitted to cheating on his wife dying of cancer, then cheated on 2nd wife. Only 13% vote for Paul, married to same woman for 54 years.

Reddit is great at picking quotes and figures out of context, but this one in particular is fun.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Todd

So Gingrich, a known douchebag, won in South Carolina (Birthplace of the Civil War!®).  I was thinking about possible presidential tickets if he wins the nomination.  Since Rick Santorum is a douchenozzle, it would almost seem natural for him to be the VP candidate if Newt gets the nod.  Together, Newt and Rick would constitute the complete package.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jowcol

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 22, 2012, 07:24:19 AM
Um, wasn't it a Republican who worsened the budgetary discipline?

If either side had a plan for budgetary discipline that wasn't based on sound bytes or wishful thinking, I'd be much happier. I don't think we've seen much from either party since 2000.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 22, 2012, 08:52:06 AM
>42% of SC Evangelicals voted for Gingrich - the guy who admitted to cheating on his wife dying of cancer, then cheated on 2nd wife.

I don't get how they lap up the I asked God for forgiveness, and He forgave me, but I cannot be bothered to maintain civil discourse with my ex, ain't that just all her fault, now? gambit. To state the obvious: if you cannot be humble before your fellow creature, we have only your word that you can be humble before the Almighty.

Of course, not all Evangelicals think of humility as a Christian virtue . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jno CapehartBut here's the statistic in the exit polls that isn't getting nearly as much play as it should and spells trouble with a capital "T" for Romney. When asked, "Which one of these candidate qualities mattered most in deciding whom to support today?," 38 percent of those who said "Is a true conservative" went for Gingrich. Romney got just 2 percent of that vote. Two.

RTWT here
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

. . . .and another illuminating statistic:

Quote from: EJ DionneExit polls showed Romney carrying only one income group, voters earning $200,000 or more a year.

RTWT here
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The disconnects are many and puzzling.  What was the Palmetto State thinking?  Newt cannot possibly fly as a realistic candidate . . . and thus, the longer it takes Mitt to woo the party, the longer a shot he is revealed to be:

Quote from: Jennifer RubinThen Gingrich went into his "I'm not a lobbyist" routine, which has long since failed the laugh test.

"A worse nominee than 2008?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Not sure where to post this - seemed like the best place. Pretty interesting study on how conservatives and liberals see the world:
http://news.yahoo.com/conservatives-liberals-dont-see-eye-eye-literally-132412890.html

QuoteConservatives & Liberals Don't See Eye-to-Eye, Literally

If you walk away from holiday dinners fuming that conservative Uncle Morton just can't see your point of view, or that liberal Aunt Betty just doesn't get it, a new finding may make it easier to cool your jets. According to the study, conservatives and liberals pay attention to their environments differently, meaning the two sides of the political spectrum quite literally don't see eye-to-eye.

Conservatives pay more attention to negative stimuli compared with liberals, the study found...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Todd

I confess I do love watching Gingrich talk about shaking up the establishment, etc.  He was once, what, second in line to be President.  He's the real outsider. 

Despite all the hard work Mitch McConnell and Eric Cantor put in, Obama could be a two-termer.  I've stated before that I would not be averse to such an outcome, if only for the entertainment offered by a wide open 2016 election.  The caveat is that at least one house of Congress must remain under Republican control.  Preferably they get the Senate, too.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 23, 2012, 06:36:40 AMNot sure where to post this - seemed like the best place. Pretty interesting study on how
conservatives and liberals see the world:

Biology serves as the basis for political belief?  I'm a bit skeptical.  How, for instance, would Russian Stalinists fit into this outlook?  How about Igbo Nationalists?  LDP reformers?  How about Swedish Greens?  Perhaps the good researchers at the University of Nebraska should peek outside the US before trying to tie biology to political beliefs.

Karl Henning

Geo. Will chimes in:

Quote from: Geo. WillSo, because Gingrich might sparkle during 4½ hours of debates, he should be given four years of control over nuclear weapons? Odd.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

New polls show Gingrich leading in Florida. Just saying.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on January 23, 2012, 12:37:39 PMNew polls show Gingrich leading in Florida. Just saying.

There's over a week left.  Romney needs to open the floodgates on the ads.  Sorry, sorry, I meant the unaffiliated Super PAC that has been supporting Romney needs to open the floodgates on the ads.

Karl Henning

Aye, lots of time for things to grow yet more ... interesting ...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Quote from: Todd on January 23, 2012, 12:53:45 PM

There's over a week left.  Romney needs to open the floodgates on the ads.  Sorry, sorry, I meant the unaffiliated Super PAC that has been supporting Romney needs to open the floodgates on the ads.

Don't worry, he's been advertising here.  But obviously his operation could some improvement.

I am now receiving daily robocalls urging me to vote for Romney.
1) Florida is a closed primary, meaning only people registered as Republicans can vote in the primary.
2) My mother and I have been registered for over thirty years as Democrats.
Draw your own conclusions.

jowcol

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 23, 2012, 06:17:35 PM
Don't worry, he's been advertising here.  But obviously his operation could some improvement.

I am now receiving daily robocalls urging me to vote for Romney.
1) Florida is a closed primary, meaning only people registered as Republicans can vote in the primary.
2) My mother and I have been registered for over thirty years as Democrats.
Draw your own conclusions.

It's subliminal programming.   This is how Romney the media Romney can influence like Romney your opinion love Romney without your must vote  Romney knowing about it.

At least on GMG you are safe from the pernicious tentacles of the Super PACs.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

What happens, would you expect, if Gingrich should manage to win in Florida?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 06:06:02 AMWhat happens, would you expect, if Gingrich should manage to win in Florida?

Everything shifts to Super Tuesday.  Fat times for local TV stations.

In related news, I was shocked to learn that Mitt Romney is rich, at least based on his tax returns.

Karl Henning

Mitt's taken to wearing jeans. Sure, that's authentic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA