Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: knight66 on September 25, 2016, 10:24:47 AM
Jens is not around to defend himself. So I am not going into any detail, but he was not in any way asked to leave.

The PMs published were not rullings, they were discussions. It is not acceptable for any PMs between any menbers to be published without the prior agreement of the other party. Publishing what is private correspondence between members can lead to various kinds of problems. It is not specified within the current rules, but it has certainly been the practice here in the 10 years I have been around.

It does not matter whether a mod is involved, you need to know that whatever you write on a PM is not going to be published; if it is, it would be removed. The only exception I can think of is where a member has died and is quoted by others by way of a tribute, which I think did happen when Iago passed away.

Knight

It does matter if the note is a ruling or notification rather than a discussion. Are you claiming that moderator's rulings are private communications? They are not, that is the very definition of a star chamber.

Marc

Quote from: knight66 on September 25, 2016, 10:24:47 AM
Jens is not around to defend himself. So I am not going into any detail, but he was not in any way asked to leave.

The PMs published were not rullings, they were discussions. It is not acceptable for any PMs between any menbers to be published without the prior agreement of the other party. Publishing what is private correspondence between members can lead to various kinds of problems. It is not specified within the current rules, but it has certainly been the practice here in the 10 years I have been around.

It does not matter whether a mod is involved, you need to know that whatever you write on a PM is not going to be published; if it is, it would be removed. The only exception I can think of is where a member has died and is quoted by others by way of a tribute, which I think did happen when Iago passed away.

Knight

Well, here's hoping that Jens will return.
He was a valuable member IMO.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on September 25, 2016, 10:28:47 AM
It does matter if the note is a ruling or notification rather than a discussion. Are you claiming that moderator's rulings are private communications? They are not, that is the very definition of a star chamber.

And when you invest your own money in your own forum, you are welcome to make whatever rules you want. For now, this is the way it is. This is NOT a democracy, is not paid for by "the people" and has run very well for the last 15 years without every word from the moderators being made public.

GB
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

knight66

Quote from: Ken B on September 25, 2016, 10:28:47 AM

Ken, I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I explained that the PMs published were discussions.

End of.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Marc

And here's hoping that Jens's leaving won't lead to another rumble.

Wish I had not made my remark.

Let's blabber about music, shall we, plz?

(Don't know what happened to me, I'm in a peaceful mood today. :P)

Ken B

Quote from: knight66 on September 25, 2016, 10:39:34 AM
Ken, I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I explained that the PMs published were discussions.

End of.

Knight

I suggest you re read what I wrote. I agreed that if it was a discussion taking it down was appropriate. But I asked about the policy for rulings and judgments. You have not answered. I read from GB is that moderators do assert that their rulings can be sealed as if they were just private messages. I think that ridiculous and frankly shows a lack of intellectual integrity. It is perfectly true that this is a private enterprise and the moderators have the power to do as they please, but that is different from pretending to be fair or to be following rules.

knight66

Ken, Gurn explained the position. I note your conspiricy theory attitude, and the direct insults. I don't see there will be much fruitful discussion about this with you at this time. What I will say is that I have written to Rob to ask for him to decide on whether a new explicit rule on PMs is needed. Additionally, if a rulling was of general application we would make it known, and indeed that has been done.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Brian

Really sad to hear about Jens. A great contributor and a voice for sanity and very interesting music. Plus, I was busy writing a review of his book! Maybe he couldn't handle the suspense ;D

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on September 25, 2016, 06:39:09 PM
Really sad to hear about Jens. A great contributor and a voice for sanity and very interesting music.

Ditto. I hope he'll return.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on September 25, 2016, 06:39:09 PM
Really sad to hear about Jens. A great contributor and a voice for sanity and very interesting music.

A shame that such a well-informed long-participating poster has left. An example of how moderator intervention, even well intentioned, can result in hard feelings.

ritter

Just a couple of days ago I saw myself sharing with Jens our apparently boundless enthusaism for the Herheim prioduction of Parsifal in Bayreuth. I felt aesthetically very close to him at that moment. But even when he commented on repertoire I'm not really that much into, he was interesting to read, gave insightful contributions, and always with style. I do hope he comes back soon.

Que

Quote from: Scarpia on September 26, 2016, 07:13:54 AM
An example of how moderator intervention, even well intentioned, can result in hard feelings.

True, even the mildest and objectively rather innocent form of intervention can offset an unexpected and undesirable chain of events and result in hard feelings.

But it is also true for doing nothing....

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't....And so it goes.

Q

Mirror Image

Quote from: Que on September 26, 2016, 08:31:08 AM

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't....And so it goes.

Q

So very true.

ritter

In the WAYLTN thread, I brought up Moonfish, who's been absent for ages from GMG. Anyone know of his wherabouts? I (and I know other GMGers) miss him...

ritter

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on September 26, 2016, 01:08:53 PM
I'm missing from that other classical forum if that counts?  :laugh:
We should have built that wall, but it's too late now... :D

Just kidding! Welcome, refugees! Hope you enjoy it at GMG... :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on September 26, 2016, 12:59:47 PM
In the WAYLTN thread, I brought up Moonfish, who's been absent for ages from GMG. Anyone know of his wherabouts? I (and I know other GMGers) miss him...

It's been a little over a year since Peter was last on GMG.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 05, 2016, 01:15:41 AM
I think this may be me shortly, but I like GMG, so unlike TC, I'll be back.
I need a few weeks away from the internet (apart from emails) and I also need to sort my personal shit in my life out.

In the meantime, after my temporary hiatus I'll be listening to Indian.classical music, Hindu devotional music, some metal, some prog rock, some funk, trip hop, some jazz, plus my obligatory Xenakis and then Mahler, Berlioz, Messiaen, Stockhausen and some recent discoveries.

Do come back.  And if you do take a break, don't deactivate your account;  just take a break  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

GioCar

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 05, 2016, 01:15:41 AM
I think this may be me shortly, but I like GMG, so unlike TC, I'll be back.
I need a few weeks away from the internet (apart from emails) and I also need to sort my personal shit in my life out.

In the meantime, after my temporary hiatus I'll be listening to Indian.classical music, Hindu devotional music, some metal, some prog rock, some funk, trip hop, some jazz, plus my obligatory Xenakis and then Mahler, Berlioz, Messiaen, Stockhausen and some recent discoveries.

I'm going to miss your enthusiastic posts...come back soon, amico!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 09, 2016, 12:27:31 AM
Sorry for the red flag, I'll be staying (I wasn't planning to go permanently) but I may disappear now and again.

You know, as a human. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and have really bad days/weeks. My personal life has been a deadly roller-coaster lately (no I don't do drugs). I think the best thing to do sometimes is go for a long walk  ;)

Gio, Karl, Jessop, Petr, etc. I'm still here friends!
;D

(and working on a piano Concerto, orchestral suite and numerous cycles!)

Excellent; carry on.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot