Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 27, 2020, 06:40:20 AM
Thank all for the expressions of concern. Rest assured I am not physically ill. Not to involve you all too much in the soap opera of my life, I have a disabled dependent I must care for, who requires 24/7 supervision, and who will never live an independent life. Combined with other responsibilities, time available for listening to music is nil, now and for the foreseeable future.

More power to you, and do chime in when you have a moment !

Iota

That sounds really tough, SH. I echo what Andre says above and wish you all the best.  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 27, 2020, 06:40:20 AM
Thank all for the expressions of concern. Rest assured I am not physically ill. Not to involve you all too much in the soap opera of my life, I have a disabled dependent I must care for, who requires 24/7 supervision, and who will never live an independent life. Combined with other responsibilities, time available for listening to music is nil, now and for the foreseeable future.

All good things from me too.
Do not forget that you need to look after your own mental and emotional well being both for yourself and to be the best carer that you can be. That can be difficult without feeling selfish but it is a very important point.

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on September 26, 2020, 11:18:54 AM
Talk Classical is to GMG what Arithemtic is to Calculus.
Browsing through Talk Classical I get a certain feeling of being new to an internet forum or rather to the internet as such (which was more than 25 years ago in my case) and there seems nothing more entertaining than Mozart vs. Beethoven, vote your favorite Mahler movement and other silly rankings. But in combination with the inclination to sign up and comment because "someone is wrong on the internet."

https://xkcd.com/386/
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on September 28, 2020, 05:17:22 AM
Browsing through Talk Classical I get a certain feeling of being new to an internet forum or rather to the internet as such (which was more than 25 years ago in my case) and there seems nothing more entertaining than Mozart vs. Beethoven, vote your favorite Mahler movement and other silly rankings.

Precisely.

QuoteBut in combination with the inclination to sign up and comment because "someone is wrong on the internet."

https://xkcd.com/386/

Never felt any such inclination. Even the wrongness is at a higher level on GMG.   ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Andante

I do wonder why so many music forums have closed, has it all been said?
I notice that on TC games involving music seem to be popular but not for me.
Are our forums old hat now? ??? ??
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Madiel

Forums in general are old hat to a certain extent, yes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

But doesn't that make it all the more amazing that Talk Classical seems as naively fun and fresh (and silly and occasionally cringey) as the fora or even earlier discussion groups of 15-25 years ago. Apparently there is still an appeal to that stuff. Like discovering that some candy one had had as a kid and totally forgotten about does still exist in the same package with the same flavour.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

The new erato

If you have any opinions today you shoot of a short Twitter, and that is that. Or even worse, just an instagram picture.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on September 27, 2020, 08:48:38 AM
All good things from me too.
Do not forget that you need to look after your own mental and emotional well being both for yourself and to be the best carer that you can be. That can be difficult without feeling selfish but it is a very important point.
+1 Well said Fergus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

AlberichUndHagen

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: André on September 27, 2020, 07:50:21 AM
More power to you, and do chime in when you have a moment !

+1 All best to you, (formerly) Baron Scarpia.

We also haven't heard from Sarge or Karlo much at all recently. I miss their contributions as well...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

North Star

Quote from: kyjo on October 01, 2020, 02:22:38 PM
+1 All best to you, (formerly) Baron Scarpia.

We also haven't heard from Sarge or Karlo much at all recently. I miss their contributions as well...

Hi Kyle, I'm still here, but I should try to post more often again.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

André

kyjo

Quote from: North Star on October 01, 2020, 03:00:28 PM
Hi Kyle, I'm still here, but I should try to post more often again.

Great to hear from you! And yes, you should ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948