Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

If one wants to quote Genesis, the familiar Du would be correct, but André's word order was wrong. Sarge was sighted when that vid with the model pianist in the silver dress was posted. I don't know if this can be translated: You need bacon to catch mice. (Mit Speck fängt man Mäuse.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

Wo du bist? is how Kurwenal answers Tristan in Act III.

Jo498

That's not easy to explain. The only admissible word order for a direct questions "Where are you?" is "Wo bist du?" Tristan ask "Wo bin ich?" (Where am I?) and Kurwenal answering takes up this question, "Wo du bist?" and proceeds with his answer. But this is obviously not a real question asked but rather something like "(you ask), where you are?" Therefore it has the word order of a subclause which is a different from a direct question and almost always puts the verb at the end. It seems to be the same as in English in this particular case.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

Thanks, Jo !

I guess syntax can be tricky in many languages depending on the context - formal or familiar.

In classic French, that question would be phrased thus: Où es-tu? In everyday language, the familiar 'tu' is often placed first or second, not third: T'es où? or Où t'es ? The t' is a contraction of the pronoun tu. Maybe you know the pop song by belgian singer Stromae, Papaoute, which is a play on words: « Papa, où t'es? » (Dad, where are you? It's about a boy raised without his father).

Of course when addressing someone formally, the syntax is never played with: Où êtes vous?

Sergeant Rock

I'm here just not very talkative lately. Got other things than music on my mind. Glad to see the "Baron" here again.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on October 02, 2020, 05:44:44 AM
Thanks, Jo !

I guess syntax can be tricky in many languages depending on the context - formal or familiar.

In classic French, that question would be phrased thus: Où es-tu? In everyday language, the familiar 'tu' is often placed first or second, not third: T'es où? or Où t'es ? The t' is a contraction of the pronoun tu. Maybe you know the pop song by belgian singer Stromae, Papaoute, which is a play on words: « Papa, où t'es? » (Dad, where are you? It's about a boy raised without his father).

Of course when addressing someone formally, the syntax is never played with: Où êtes vous?
I didn't know that André.  Any idea when this started becoming common?

And hello Sarge!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 02, 2020, 07:25:22 AM
I'm here just not very talkative lately. Got other things than music on my mind.

Sarge

You take care, Sarge  :)
Olivier

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

I'm here just not very talkative lately. Got other things than music on my mind. Glad to see the "Baron" here again.

Sarge

Stay safe and well.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2020, 07:28:05 AM
I didn't know that André.  Any idea when this started becoming common?

And hello Sarge!

PD

Probably for centuries. If you check the glossary in the Gallimard edition of Maupassant's Contes normands, you'll find all kinds of such language colloquialisms. Also, check on YT, there are clips on the subject. It's the kind of things textbooks and courses never tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5i03JEQ8L8

Excellent short video on common pronunciation issues. She speaks slowly, articulates perfectly and every example is illustrated.

André

Sarge

Keep safe !

Cato

Sarge

Gluecklich ist Sarge angekommen!

I usually have Music in my mind, perhaps too often, either my own creations or those of someone else, e.g. right now the last movement of Bruckner's Fifth Symphony has been spinning thanks to my Inner D. J.   8)

Earlier it had been songs from the new Alexander Tcherepnin CD My Flowering Staff.    0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on October 02, 2020, 09:18:48 AM
Probably for centuries. If you check the glossary in the Gallimard edition of Maupassant's Contes normands, you'll find all kinds of such language colloquialisms. Also, check on YT, there are clips on the subject. It's the kind of things textbooks and courses never tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5i03JEQ8L8

Excellent short video on common pronunciation issues. She speaks slowly, articulates perfectly and every example is illustrated.
Thanks André!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Sarge
Nice to see you here too Sarge.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

I still miss cilgwyn.  :-[
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Symphonic Addict

Looks like John seriously took a rest by not participating on the forum anymore. I hope he's well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on October 10, 2020, 01:17:41 PM
I still miss cilgwyn.  :-[
Me too Johan. I still find the abrupt nature of his departure disconcerting.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 10, 2020, 03:00:10 PM
Looks like John seriously took a rest by not participating on the forum anymore. I hope he's well.
I did PM him and John responded that he just wanted a break to focus on listening to different music.