Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2020, 12:29:12 PM

Sarge and the boys are still here...just quieter than they normally are.

8)
Olivier

Mirror Image

Florestan

:D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Hoping that you and your family and loved ones are all safe and healthy....

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 12, 2020, 12:16:41 PM
Hoping that you and your family and loved ones are all safe and healthy....

We are...thank you.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Herman

I'm out. The misanthropy here is getting too much.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on December 14, 2020, 08:22:57 PM
Well, that had happened before. While I am sure it made most people happy, it also caused a few to leave in protest. It is hard to actually do the math to figure out the net loss and which would be better.
Personally, I stay off  the political threads. No minds have never changed as a result of those threads, just arguments that goes nowhere.

Well said, Paul.

Florestan

I'd just love to take an extended break from this forum on which I spend far more time than I should. Unfortunately, I think I'm addicted to GMG. I wish I coud break this addiction. Any suggestions welcome.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on December 16, 2020, 06:23:34 AM
I'd just love to take an extended break from this forum on which I spend far more time than I should. Unfortunately, I think I'm addicted to GMG. I wish I coud break this addiction. Any suggestions welcome.  :)
I can think of worse addictions, although it does cost me quite a bit of money in CD/LP purchases.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Woodwork. My father is obsessed with woodwork.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Brass Hole

You can apply yourself to books. In fact, if you can do digital, I have an extensive archive of non-fiction and music to gladly help you with.  ;)

prémont

Just skip the dinner board and concentrate upon the music boards.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 16, 2020, 11:20:38 AM
Woodwork. My father is obsessed with woodwork.

That would be nice but unfortunately when it comes to handiwork I have two left hands.

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 16, 2020, 11:23:17 AM
Or drawing.

I used to draw a lot as a kid but there's been ages since I stopped.

Quote from: Brass Hole on December 16, 2020, 12:32:30 PM
You can apply yourself to books. In fact, if you can do digital, I have an extensive archive of non-fiction and music to gladly help you with.  ;)

Well, I'm greatly into reading. Actually, I have a pile of books waiting but the more time I spend here, the less I read. It's a vicious circle, really. Thanks for your generous offer.

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 16, 2020, 11:34:52 PM
Just skip the dinner board

Maybe not the whole dinner (the literature thread is there, after all), just the politics thread. I really, really, really must do that.

Thank you all.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 16, 2020, 08:41:25 AM
I can think of worse addictions

Sure, but this one gets me in trouble with my wife.  :)

Plus, it makes me look like an argumentative and insufferable jerk --- and I am not at all like that in real life.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on December 17, 2020, 12:21:34 AM
Sure, but this one gets me in trouble with my wife.  :)

Plus, it makes me look like an argumentative and insufferable jerk --- and I am not at all like that in real life.

It gets me in trouble with my wife too:

'You are having an affair with your CD collection!'  :-X
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brass Hole

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 17, 2020, 06:35:57 AM
but also some very nice (and knowledgable) people whose posts I enjoy reading and with whom I enjoy chatting too. :)

No doubt about that. 👍

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brass Hole on December 16, 2020, 11:48:33 PM
I think Beethoven related threads are no different than the politics threads...

The sudden profusion of Beethoven work-threads had all the look of Todd checking the "See? I'm here to discuss music, too" box.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot