Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 29, 2021, 07:06:45 AM
His profile says he logged in today.

Ah, okay. That's good --- he's just lurking then. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2021, 07:01:24 AM
I haven't seen Florestan for awhile. I hope he's okay.

I'm okay, John, thanks for asking. I just try to scale down the time I spend here as much as possible.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on January 29, 2021, 07:31:53 AM
I'm okay, John, thanks for asking. I just try to scale down the time I spend here as much as possible.  :)

Very good to to hear, although I wish you'd post more.

Madiel

Stop having a life, Florestan. It's upsetting.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2021, 07:27:24 PM
Very good to to hear, although I wish you'd post more.

I don't post anymore purposefully. If I posted antyhing, I'd be checking GMG every 10 minutes for potential replies --- which is exactly the very thing I try hard to avoid.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2021, 09:29:39 PM

:laugh:

Honestly, it's a liberating experience. Resisting the urge to check GMG first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed, not interrupting the reading of a book every quarter of an hour in order to see what's new on GMG, having more time for, well, listening to music rather than talking about it and last but not least not having to endure my wife's bitter complaints about neglecting my (family) life. Bliss, I tell you.  8)

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2021, 12:54:49 AM
Honestly, it's a liberating experience. Resisting the urge to check GMG first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed, not interrupting the reading of a book every quarter of an hour in order to see what's new on GMG, having more time for, well, listening to music rather than talking about it and last but not least not having to endure my wife's bitter complaints about neglecting my (family) life. Bliss, I tell you.  8)

I know what you mean. I've cut down on another forum significantly, just reading and posting in a couple of threads then logging out, but am sticking with GMG at the moment as it's pretty harmless.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2021, 09:29:39 PM

Demoralizes the rest of us ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2021, 12:49:58 AM
I don't post anymore purposefully. If I posted antyhing, I'd be checking GMG every 10 minutes for potential replies --- which is exactly the very thing I try hard to avoid.  :D

Well, it's certainly good that you're busy in your life --- or, in your case, a good kind of busy. If I had a girlfriend with whom I wanted to spend more time with, GMG would most certainly suffer as a result, but she'd have to understand that I need personal time for music. If she didn't then she's not the one for me! ;D

prémont

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 30, 2021, 07:01:08 AM
..., but she'd have to understand that I need personal time for music. If she didn't then she's not the one for me! ;D

Quite true. Fortunately my wife for the last 40 years has had that understanding, all the same she isn't that interested in CM herself. During some periods i do not purchase that many new CDs, and then she gets worried and asks me if there is something wrong.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 30, 2021, 07:01:08 AM
If I had a girlfriend with whom I wanted to spend more time with, GMG would most certainly suffer as a result, but she'd have to understand that I need personal time for music. If she didn't then she's not the one for me! ;D

Well, John, no offense meant in any way --- but I'm not talking about a girlfriend, I'm talking about a wife (and a son as well).  ;D

That's probably why I think Mozart is my number one composer hands down --- if on a desert island I could take the complete works of one and only one composer, it would be WAM without the slightest blinking of an eye.  He was married with children yet he composed an amazing quantity of amazingly qualitative music, all the while eating, drinking, playing billiards and f...g his wife. I can score only 5 out of his 6 achievements.  :P

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2021, 08:50:10 AM
Well, John, no offense meant in any way --- but I'm not talking about a girlfriend, I'm talking about a wife (and a son as well).  ;D

That's probably why I think Mozart is my number one composer hands down --- if on a desert island I could take the complete works of one and only one composer, it would be WAM without the slightest blinking of an eye.  He was married with children yet he composed an amazing quantity of amazingly qualitative music, all the while eating, drinking, playing billiards and f...g his wife. I can score only 5 out of his 6 achievements.  :P

Yeah, I struggle to make time for billiards too... ;)  :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 30, 2021, 07:32:36 AM
Quite true. Fortunately my wife for the last 40 years has had that understanding, all the same she isn't that interested in CM herself. During some periods i do not purchase that many new CDs, and then she gets worried and asks me if there is something wrong.

Well, one doesn't have to have to same interests of course, but that's great your wife understands that you need time with music. Also, congratulations on 40 years! That's amazing.

Mirror Image

No offense taken, my friend and, yes, a wife is much different than a girlfriend, especially when you have children involved. I was more or less making a general statement that whoever I'm with will have to understand how I need alone time with music.

steve ridgway

I can score only 5 out of his 6 achievements.  :P

Obviously - as Mrs. Mozart hasn't been on the scene for quite some time. ;)

Florestan

Handelian has deleted his account. If the reason is what I suspect it to be, here we have another case of political animosity (plus a gross, uncalled for insulting remark which is perplexing to me, coming as it does from one of the most civil GMGers) driving away a member. Sad.

Makes me seriously reconsidering my position about political threads. They really stimulate the worst in people and should probably be banned.

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on February 12, 2021, 02:49:45 AM
Handelian has deleted his account. If the reason is what I suspect it to be, here we have another case of political animosity (plus a gross, uncalled for insulting remark which is perplexing to me, coming as it does from one of the most civil GMGers) driving away a member. Sad.

Makes me seriously reconsidering my position about political threads. They really stimulate the worst in people and should probably be banned.

Too bad that a respected member leaves (and deletes all his post) for that reason, if you are right.. BTW I have always thought, that political (and religious) threads should be banned in a civilized music forum like this one. If people want to discuss politics there are many alternative options.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

The new erato

Very sad as he was one of the few sharing my passion for Handel.

Why someone would join a classical music forum to become embroiled in political threads is beyond me. And if you choose to do it, you should have a strong stomach and count to one hundred before you post anything at all.

But I also find some people inexplicably quick to take offense. Why they then choose to partake in potentially poisonous threads I don't understand. Better to stay away and remember why one joined in the first place.

steve ridgway

Quote from: The new erato on February 12, 2021, 04:50:46 AM
Why someone would join a classical music forum to become embroiled in political threads is beyond me.

Yes, it's a nice forum to get away from all that stuff.

Mirror Image

Gentlemen, this is something that I've been saying for quite some time now. I sometimes contribute to the US political thread, but it isn't the reason as to why I post here. This is a music forum first and foremost. You would think since you know who left office, things would quieten down, but it seems to be going as strong as ever. I'm with San Antone and have certainly considered spending time on another forum, which I've done, but I don't understand how this forum can flourish if we have members leaving left and right with no new blood coming into the scenario or maybe there are new members signing up, but they just lurk in the shadows, because of their feeling that this many of this veteran members would rather spend their time talking politics then music.