Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on December 11, 2021, 06:23:03 AM
What Gurn said.

An incredibly knowledgeable guy, but didn't suffer fools lightly (and when he was here, there were a few).

Witness the exchange with Eric Anderson which spotted horses found 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 11, 2021, 06:27:05 AM
Good, I think at least an explanation regarding that sample was needed, for those not knowing anything, like myself.

Quite so, it helps to know who/what people are talking about. That clip that SH found was rather mild, many of the worse ones had been deleted. If I can say one thing in retrospect about Michael: he was no diplomat! :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 11, 2021, 10:04:10 AM
Quite so, it helps to know who/what people are talking about. That clip that SH found was rather mild, many of the worse ones had been deleted. If I can say one thing in retrospect about Michael: he was no diplomat! :-\

8)

Nobody's perfect 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Yes, I knew (not personally) Michael from several different fora, including one German language one and he usually managed to be unnecessarily abrasive, get into lengthy arguments and sometimes got banned. But he certainly knew a lot about music.

r.i.p.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on December 11, 2021, 10:10:12 AM
Yes, I knew (not personally) Michael from several different fora, including one German language one and he usually managed to be unnecessarily abrasive, get into lengthy arguments and sometimes got banned. But he certainly knew a lot about music.

r.i.p.

I had heard that about him getting banned frequently. He lasted here close to 5 years, which speaks to the level of tolerance here I think.

Not just knew a lot, but explained it well enough to help many people, myself included, form or modify some tastes. It was a sad dichotomy of traits... :-\

R.I.P., indeed.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brewski on December 11, 2021, 06:23:03 AM
What Gurn said.

An incredibly knowledgeable guy, but didn't suffer fools lightly (and when he was here, there were a few)...

It wasn't so much that he didn't suffer fools gladly, but that almost everyone that didn't accept his point of view was a fool. I remember at one point he agreed with me and I briefly felt as though blessed by god, then I thought, "hold on, who appointed him god?" He did, obviously.

I get the feeling that he was more amiable in real life than on internet fora. Always sad to hear of the passing of a person in the prime of life.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 11, 2021, 02:24:10 PM
It wasn't so much that he didn't suffer fools gladly, but that almost everyone that didn't accept his point of view was a fool. I remember at one point he agreed with me and I briefly felt as though blessed by god, then I thought, "hold on, who appointed him god?" He did, obviously.

I get the feeling that he was more amiable in real life than on internet fora. Always sad to hear of the passing of a person in the prime of life.

I echo your sentiments on all aspects of your post.

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 11, 2021, 02:24:10 PM

Did he have a shark avatar or was that someone else?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on December 14, 2021, 09:28:03 AM
Did he have a shark avatar or was that someone else?

No, you're right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

I don't recall the shark, but he did have fearsome teeth.

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on December 14, 2021, 10:47:51 AM

André LOL!  :laugh:  Sorry that he passed at such a young age (now that I'm in my 70s) - I remember a few exchanges w/ him that never became hostile, but also many w/ others that were vituperative to say the least.  Dave :)

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 14, 2021, 10:47:51 AM
;D

I know that he could be very difficult but I am sorry to hear the news of his passing
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

I'm very sorry about his passing of course. At one point we exchanged emails and disc recommendations, and he was very courteous. But then he went on one of his abusive phases and I called him out on that, which pissed him  :-X.

Spotted Horses

M forever was a member who I sincerely wished could have had the self-possession to follow the forum rules, because his contribution was otherwise extremely interesting, some of the most valuable content posted to the board. Snyprr (?) was another.

And members who I wish could up their game enough to get banned, that's another catagory.  :laugh:
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 15, 2021, 06:20:44 AM
M forever was a member who I sincerely wished could have had the self-possession to follow the forum rules, because his contribution was otherwise extremely interesting, some of the most valuable content posted to the board. Snyprr (?) was another.

Was Snyprrr banned? If so I didn't realize that. I thought he had just left on his own accord. I do miss him and his amusing Snyprrrisms.  :D

Spotted Horses

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 15, 2021, 06:22:58 AM
Was Snyprrr banned? If so I didn't realize that. I thought he had just left on his own accord. I do miss him and his amusing Snyprrrisms.  :D

His contribution was quite insightful when he managed to focus his attention on music.

MusicTurner

I think it's fair to say that his style became increasingly less focused, besides apparently being attracted by the very obvious magnetism of the Trump train.

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 15, 2021, 06:42:26 AM
I think it's fair to say that his style became increasingly less focused, besides apparently being attracted by the very obvious magnetism of the Trump train.

He had personal failings which made the MAGA-verse his sweet spot.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

I did not realize he was a MAGA-nut.  :o

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 15, 2021, 08:29:09 AM
I did not realize he was a MAGA-nut.  :o

They kind of found one another.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA