Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2022, 12:51:22 AM
Terrible. Johan, if you read this: all the best, take care!

I miss my French Baroque buddy, Draško (Milos), who had been a member here for a long time but in later years there were some long episodes of absence. A young guy from Serbia, younger than me at least, also very knowledgeable on Russian music and performers.

Three years ago he disappeared off the radar for the last time.  For a long time I assumed he would be back some time.
Last year Facebook reminded me of his birthday - I totally forgot we connected at some point.
From looking at his FB page with the help of Google translate I could deduct that he must have passed away no longer than a year after his last visit here. Friends had posted memorial posts on his birthday. I reached out to one of them to learn more, but never got a reply....

Oh my ! That's terrible  :(. I tried to contact him a couple of years back - still have him on my email contact list - and never got a reply. I'm so sad to hear that. He made me discover some great composers and interpreters, even sent me a few discs of serbian music. RIP Milos...

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2022, 04:45:50 AM
And an Indian guy from Chennai whose username I can't remember right now.

You are likely referring to Navneeth (Opus 106).

He was my very first classical music "friend" I made around 2005 when we were both discovering classical music for the first time. We met on a forum called Beethoven Radio (a Hartford, Connecticut radio station). Which is no longer.

I still think a lot about him and miss him dearly.

prémont

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2022, 05:53:47 AM
You are likely referring to Navneeth (Opus 106).

He is sometimes active at Symphony Share. Yes, certainly a nice guy.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Also a very nice Chilean guy who went by several usernames, the one I remember otomh being Antoine Marchand (French for Ton Koopman).

His last username was Gordo. As far as I can see, he has deleted all his accounts.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 09, 2022, 06:05:13 AM
His last username was Gordo.

Yes, that's him alright.

QuoteAs far as I can see, he has deleted all his accounts.

Oh! Too bad.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

I miss my French Baroque buddy, Draško (Milos), who had been a member here for a long time but in later years there were some long episodes of absence. A young guy from Serbia, younger than me at least, also very knowledgeable on Russian music and performers.

Three years ago he disappeared off the radar for the last time.  For a long time I assumed he would be back some time.
Last year Facebook reminded me of his birthday - I totally forgot we connected at some point.
From looking at his FB page with the help of Google translate I could deduct that he must have passed away no longer than a year after his last visit here. Friends had posted memorial posts on his birthday. I reached out to one of them to learn more, but never got a reply....

I had no idea of this happening; like you,  I believed he would randomly return as so often before.  I learned a lot from from Milos, and found him to be a very agreeable person.   :'(

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Spotted Horses

Sorry to hear that. I remember a few years ago he re-registered and I was elated, then disappointed that he disappeared again.  He had interesting views to share on various topics.

Would you feel comfortable sharing a link to his Facebook page?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Very sorry to hear about Draško.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2022, 04:45:50 AMAnd btw, what's going on with North Star (Karlo)? He's apparently lurking here but haven't posted anything for a long while.

I'm friends with Karlo on Facebook and, honestly, he's not even active there very much. I suppose he's got some kind of life now, which is what I should be doing. ;)

Que

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 09, 2022, 09:12:25 AM
Would you feel comfortable sharing a link to his Facebook page?

There is not much to see.

Since I really liked to know what happened, I decide to google his full name yesterday evening. Perhaps I could find an obituary? Well, be careful what you wish for... since his passing turned out to be particularly tragic: he took his own life.
Think a minute if you really want to know the rather disturbing details you can read by clicking HERE (Google translate will take a minute or so)

Rest in peace, Draško. :(

Elgarian Redux

Now that I think of it, there are many members who have been absent for quite a while. In no particular order: Elgarian, ukrneal, Ghost Sonata (aka Zauberdrachen No. 7), Dancing Divertimentian, bwv1058. Also a very nice Chilean guy who went by several usernames, the one I remember otomh being Antoine Marchand (French for Ton Koopman). And an Indian guy from Chennai whose username I can't remember right now. I do hope they are all safe and sound.

And btw, what's going on with North Star (Karlo)? He's apparently lurking here but haven't posted anything for a long while.

Oddly enough, I have been around for the last few months, reading a few threads here and there, but don't seem to have anything to say. I did add a couple of things on Vaughan Williams's Phantasy Quintet a few weeks ago, but otherwise...

But you'll be glad to know, Andrei, that I've been diligently practising a lot of 'inattentive listening', as recommended by you, and very profitably too. It seems to result, paradoxically, in my listening more, instead of less. Thank you.

And also I have been charmed to bits by Paul McCartney's Working Classical a good deal. Which has been a delightful experience, but if I posted about it here I think many would say that it wasn't 'proper' music, it was facile pap, and would conclude that I was turning into an old softie. To which I would reply that I was always an old softie, so what's new? And I think the world is a better place for having Paul McCartney in it, no matter what we call his 'classical' aspirations.

So you see, here I am, but very quiet. I've also been reading the 'Europe at war' thread, hoping to find some helpful wisdom there. For indeed, the collective opinions to be found at GMG have always been wise and helpful, on balance, even in the heat of disagreement.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2022, 10:32:00 PM

Since I really liked to know what happened, I decide to google his full name yesterday evening. Perhaps I could find an obituary? Well, be careful what you wish for... since his passing turned out to be particularly tragic: he took his own life.
Think a minute if you really want to know the rather disturbing details you can read by clicking HERE (Google translate will take a minute or so)

What a sad story.

Florestan

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 10, 2022, 12:16:43 AM
Oddly enough, I have been around for the last few months, reading a few threads here and there, but don't seem to have anything to say. I did add a couple of things on Vaughan Williams's Phantasy Quintet a few weeks ago, but otherwise...

But you'll be glad to know, Andrei, that I've been diligently practising a lot of 'inattentive listening', as recommended by you, and very profitably too. It seems to result, paradoxically, in my listening more, instead of less. Thank you.

And also I have been charmed to bits by Paul McCartney's Working Classical a good deal. Which has been a delightful experience, but if I posted about it here I think many would say that it wasn't 'proper' music, it was facile pap, and would conclude that I was turning into an old softie. To which I would reply that I was always an old softie, so what's new? And I think the world is a better place for having Paul McCartney in it, no matter what we call his 'classical' aspirations.

So you see, here I am, but very quiet. I've also been reading the 'Europe at war' thread, hoping to find some helpful wisdom there. For indeed, the collective opinions to be found at GMG have always been wise and helpful, on balance, even in the heat of disagreement.

Excellent.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 09, 2022, 12:27:32 AM
Very sorry to hear that. I wish him the best.

+1 from here, regarding Christo.

MusicTurner

aligreto

What a terrible tragedy indeed.

Spotted Horses

A life of sadness and isolation. We must bear witness to such circumstances, which may be taking place, unnoticed, in plain sight. All the more shocking because the report on his death is dated 19 days after his last post here, and the circumstances indicate that his death was at least two weeks before the report was published. It is a stark reminder that although we "know" people we encounter on a forum such as this, we have no idea.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

André

Extremely sad. Milos is the one who led me to read Ivo Andric and Mesa Selimovic, names that were unknown to me at the time. During a few years we had a steady stream of disc exchanges, back and forth. I do recall him mentioning his mother's health a couple of times, but he kept his life to himself.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2022, 08:49:10 AM
I replied to one of his posts recently on the listening thread.  If you weren't so busy with your endless Takemitsu posts you probably would have noticed! $:) :D

:P