Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2022, 10:32:00 PM
There is not much to see.

Since I really liked to know what happened, I decide to google his full name yesterday evening. Perhaps I could find an obituary? Well, be careful what you wish for... since his passing turned out to be particularly tragic: he took his own life.
Think a minute if you really want to know the rather disturbing details you can read by clicking HERE (Google translate will take a minute or so)

Rest in peace, Draško. :(

Thanks Que for finding the real story - Milos and I (like many here) had a number of pleasant exchanges over his years on the forum - always kind and helpful - a sad event, indeed.   :(   Dave

Karl Henning

Since I really liked to know what happened, I decide to google his full name yesterday evening. Perhaps I could find an obituary? Well, be careful what you wish for... since his passing turned out to be particularly tragic: he took his own life.
Think a minute if you really want to know the rather disturbing details you can read by clicking HERE (Google translate will take a minute or so)

Poor fellow!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 10, 2022, 12:16:43 AM
Oddly enough, I have been around for the last few months, reading a few threads here and there, but don't seem to have anything to say. I did add a couple of things on Vaughan Williams's Phantasy Quintet a few weeks ago, but otherwise...

But you'll be glad to know, Andrei, that I've been diligently practising a lot of 'inattentive listening', as recommended by you, and very profitably too. It seems to result, paradoxically, in my listening more, instead of less. Thank you.

And also I have been charmed to bits by Paul McCartney's Working Classical a good deal. Which has been a delightful experience, but if I posted about it here I think many would say that it wasn't 'proper' music, it was facile pap, and would conclude that I was turning into an old softie. To which I would reply that I was always an old softie, so what's new? And I think the world is a better place for having Paul McCartney in it, no matter what we call his 'classical' aspirations.

So you see, here I am, but very quiet. I've also been reading the 'Europe at war' thread, hoping to find some helpful wisdom there. For indeed, the collective opinions to be found at GMG have always been wise and helpful, on balance, even in the heat of disagreement.

I always delight to read a post of your'n, Alan! I would not contemn Working Classical (not having heard it) although it did drop off my radar soon after its initial press release. On the chance that this is my loss, I may just check it out. I do listen to some McCartney every week.

I thought of you this morning as I slipped Tolkien's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight into my tote.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2022, 07:59:49 AM
I always delight to read a post of your'n, Alan! I would not contemn Working Classical (not having heard it) although it did drop off my radar soon after its initial press release. On the chance that this is my loss, I may just check it out. I do listen to some McCartney every week.

That said, no one could pay me to listen to Liverpool Oratorio.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2022, 08:01:26 AM

If I were very rich, I would test your resolve with a large cheque, just for kicks. (I've never listened to it myself.)

Just back home from a day out. Thanks for your call, Karl - I'll try to return it tomorrow.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 10, 2022, 11:15:35 AM
If I were very rich, I would test your resolve, Karl, just for kicks. (I've never listened to it myself.)

(Just back home from a day out. Thanks for your call, Karl - I'll try to return it tomorrow.)

Just listened twice to Working Classical. Pleasant and light, which was what I expected (after all: who among us does not enjoy the string quartet in "Yesterday?"), and I thoroughly enjoy the album. The only aspect of the project which does cause my eyes to roll is the affectation of the title. The string quartet arrangements of "My Love," "Maybe I'm Amazed," "She's My Baby" & "The Lovely Linda" are superior easy-listening, and I think that "A Leaf" & "Tuesday" can hold their head up in the company of the Delius tone-poems. Thanks for the pointer, Alan!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

A tragedy that may have been prevented had someone just known about it. Unfortunately, not many people will know you have depression unless they can see how you are behind closed doors. It is most definitely a silent killer. I remember having some exchanges with him many years ago and he seemed like a pleasant, kind person. A great loss for not only his family, but this forum, too. A sad life he must have had --- if only I had known, I might could've helped him. I lost a good friend when I was high school to suicide, but the writing on the wall wasn't easy to tell. I do believe that his home life was in turmoil and that he was wrestling with some mental issues, but I simply couldn't tell. I know what it's like to feel like you're worthless and all hope is lost, but, thankfully, I overcame this and the main reason is because I have music. Without music, I surely would have died years ago.

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2022, 12:51:22 AM
Terrible. Johan, if you read this: all the best, take care!

I miss my French Baroque buddy, Draško (Milos), who had been a member here for a long time but in later years there were some long episodes of absence. A young guy from Serbia, younger than me at least, also very knowledgeable on Russian music and performers.

Three years ago he disappeared off the radar for the last time.  For a long time I assumed he would be back some time.
Last year Facebook reminded me of his birthday - I totally forgot we connected at some point.
From looking at his FB page with the help of Google translate I could deduct that he must have passed away no longer than a year after his last visit here. Friends had posted memorial posts on his birthday. I reached out to one of them to learn more, but never got a reply....
So sorry to hear that. He was a familiar name here at one time.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

That's terribly sad. Yes RIP Drasko.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2022, 11:58:35 AM
A tragedy that may have been prevented had someone just known about it. Unfortunately, not many people will know you have depression unless they can see how you are behind closed doors. It is most definitely a silent killer. I remember having some exchanges with him many years ago and he seemed like a pleasant, kind person. A great loss for not only his family, but this forum, too. A sad life he must have had --- if only I had known, I might could've helped him. I lost a good friend when I was high school to suicide, but the writing on the wall wasn't easy to tell. I do believe that his home life was in turmoil and that he was wrestling with some mental issues, but I simply couldn't tell. I know what it's like to feel like you're worthless and all hope is lost, but, thankfully, I overcame this and the main reason is because I have music. Without music, I surely would have died years ago.
A very thoughtful post John. My wife's best friend - a most lovely, kind and over-conscientious person took her own life, many years ago (she was the chief bridesmaid at our wedding).

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2022, 11:29:23 AM
Just listened twice to Working Classical. Pleasant and light, which was what I expected (after all: who among us does not enjoy the string quartet in "Yesterday?"), and I thoroughly enjoy the album. The only aspect of the project which does cause my eyes to roll is the affectation of the title. The string quartet arrangements of "My Love," "Maybe I'm Amazed," "She's My Baby" & "The Lovely Linda" are superior easy-listening, and I think that "A Leaf" & "Tuesday" can hold their head up in the company of the Delius tone-poems. Thanks for the pointer, Alan!

Interesting comparison with Delius there, Karl. To my ears there is indeed an Englishness about much of the music - not like Elgar, but more like Malcolm Arnold on a quiet day, or someone like that. The sort of music you'd use to accompany a movie, which would be played while the camera panned across soft hills and valleys. Don't ask me to define it though, please. I suppose it's no more profound than Beatle music is profound - though I must admit to finding Beatle music quite profound.

The title of the album doesn't trouble me overmuch because I can't think of a better one, when I try to.

I am slightly anxious about the fact that I am posting about music (and have tempted you into posting about music) in a thread devoted to Missing Members. And worse, I am not even a Missing Member! I promise to do better.

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2022, 11:52:34 PM
I miss Johan's (Christo) contributions. Unfortunately he has been quite ill. I notice that he still checks in from time-to-time and I have been in contact with him.
Sorry to hear that, Jeffrey, all the best for Johan.

What a tragedy indeed, rest in peace, Draško:(

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2022, 04:45:50 AMAnd btw, what's going on with North Star (Karlo)? He's apparently lurking here but haven't posted anything for a long while.

Cheers, Andrei. I do indeed check in fairly regularly, but will have to work on trying to post something occasionally.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2022, 08:01:26 AM
+1

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on April 11, 2022, 01:14:17 AM
Sorry to hear that, Jeffrey, all the best for Johan.

What a tragedy indeed, rest in peace, Draško:(

Cheers, Andrei. I do indeed check in fairly regularly, but will have to work on trying to post something occasionally.
Good to hear from you Karlo.

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 10, 2022, 12:16:43 AM
Oddly enough, I have been around for the last few months, reading a few threads here and there, but don't seem to have anything to say. I did add a couple of things on Vaughan Williams's Phantasy Quintet a few weeks ago, but otherwise...

But you'll be glad to know, Andrei, that I've been diligently practising a lot of 'inattentive listening', as recommended by you, and very profitably too. It seems to result, paradoxically, in my listening more, instead of less. Thank you.

And also I have been charmed to bits by Paul McCartney's Working Classical a good deal. Which has been a delightful experience, but if I posted about it here I think many would say that it wasn't 'proper' music, it was facile pap, and would conclude that I was turning into an old softie. To which I would reply that I was always an old softie, so what's new? And I think the world is a better place for having Paul McCartney in it, no matter what we call his 'classical' aspirations.

So you see, here I am, but very quiet. I've also been reading the 'Europe at war' thread, hoping to find some helpful wisdom there. For indeed, the collective opinions to be found at GMG have always been wise and helpful, on balance, even in the heat of disagreement.
What a wise post, congrats to you.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: The new erato on April 11, 2022, 01:49:35 AM
What a wise post, congrats to you.

Oh bless you, my dear chap!! Thank you for the compliment. But I need to tell you about an old friend of mine who is a few years younger than I am, and one day I was complaining about some aches and pains, and observing that getting old wasn't much fun. And he looked at me and said, 'Yeah, but think about all that wisdom.'
And I looked back at him, and we both fell about laughing.

ritter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 10, 2022, 07:14:40 AM
Thanks Que for finding the real story - Milos and I (like many here) had a number of pleasant exchanges over his years on the forum - always kind and helpful - a sad event, indeed.   :(   Dave
My feelings exactly. Milos and I shared some interests, and had some pleasant and edifying exchanges of information and viewpoints. A sad loss. :(

Quote from: North Star on April 11, 2022, 01:14:17 AM
.. I do indeed check in fairly regularly, but will have to work on trying to post something occasionally.
Good to see you're doing well, Karlo  :). You know your contributions on GMG are highly appreciated!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 11, 2022, 02:20:03 AM
Oh bless you, my dear chap!! Thank you for the compliment. But I need to tell you about an old friend of mine who is a few years younger than I am, and one day I was complaining about some aches and pains, and observing that getting old wasn't much fun. And he looked at me and said, 'Yeah, but think about all that wisdom.'
And I looked back at him, and we both fell about laughing.

(* chortle *)

Quote from: ritter on April 11, 2022, 05:12:37 AM

Good to see you're doing well, Karlo  :). You know your contributions on GMG highly appreciated!

And so say I!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2022, 11:51:44 PM
A very thoughtful post John. My wife's best friend - a most lovely, kind and over-conscientious person took her own life, many years ago (she was the chief bridesmaid at our wedding).

Sorry to hear about this, Jeffrey. We never know what someone is going through, which is why I try my best to be kind to people. Emphasis on try. ;)