Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 06, 2022, 01:54:15 AM
Hi Fergus,
This did happen once before and she did eventually return. I'm hoping that, sooner or later, she will reappear, but it is a bit worrying.

+1

Regarding cilgwyn, he sent me a very kind and characteristically enthusiastic reply to my message to him at the Art-Music Forum. I interpreted his reason that he's no longer active on GMG as being the forum was encouraging him to spend too much money on CDs; he also mentioned that he had accidentally deleted his account one night when he had one too many (;D). So nothing too serious, I guess....I once again encouraged him to return but haven't heard back yet.... :-\
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Thanks, Kyle, good to know your message to cilgwyn didn't go unnoticed. He should come back. That forum is getting spiritless more and more. A shame.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 07, 2022, 08:17:54 PM
+1

Regarding cilgwyn, he sent me a very kind and characteristically enthusiastic reply to my message to him at the Art-Music Forum. I interpreted his reason that he's no longer active on GMG as being the forum was encouraging him to spend too much money on CDs; he also mentioned that he had accidentally deleted his account one night when he had one too many (;D). So nothing too serious, I guess....I once again encouraged him to return but haven't heard back yet.... :-\
That's reassuring to know Kyle and thank you for letting us know. I had quite a lot of interactions (often humorous) with him on the forum and wondered if I'd offended him in some way (although I couldn't think how) when his account suddenly vaporised. I shall always be grateful to him for introducing me to the marvellous 'A Vision of Judgement' by P. Racine Fricker.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

+1

Excellent news, Kyle. 8) I don't think I've interacted too often with cilgwyn, but I recall he was quite knowledgeable and was easy to get along with. His reason for leaving makes zero sense to me, but this was his choice. Hopefully, he will return at some point in the future.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2022, 07:29:17 PM
Excellent news, Kyle. 8) I don't think I've interacted too often with cilgwyn, but I recall he was quite knowledgeable and was easy to get along with. His reason for leaving makes zero sense to me, but this was his choice. Hopefully, he will return at some point in the future.

He's not the first person to leave for the sake of his budget. Remember Octave?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on July 08, 2022, 07:48:05 PM
He's not the first person to leave for the sake of his budget. Remember Octave?

But to leave the forum for this reason without any explanation to anyone else is bizarre to me. I mean I'm not saying that any of us deserve an explanation, but when you've communicated with someone for so long and log in the next day and they've deleted their account is kind of odd, wouldn't you say? Also, the other Jeffrey left many messages with cilgwyn and he never got with him on any of them and they had an excellent rapport with each other.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2022, 08:38:29 PM
But to leave the forum for this reason without any explanation to anyone else is bizarre to me. I mean I'm not saying that any of us deserve an explanation, but when you've communicated with someone for so long and log in the next day and they've deleted their account is kind of odd, wouldn't you say? Also, the other Jeffrey left many messages with cilgwyn and he never got with him on any of them and they had an excellent rapport with each other.
I think that I sent him two PMs at different times; one on an earlier occasion, which I did get a nice response to.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2022, 09:51:43 PM
I think that I sent him two PMs at different times; one on an earlier occasion, which I did get a nice response to.

Very nice, Jeffrey. Maybe, one day, he'll return.

aligreto

+1

:laugh:

DaveF

I see KlassiskDronning has deleted his account.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

MusicTurner

The name, ~ClassicalQueen, could suggest a female.

DaveF

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 16, 2022, 02:46:23 AM

Yes, I did wonder (I know a little bit of Danish, as well as loving Berwald's Drottningen av Golconda), but s/he mainly posted about Heavy Metal in the brief time s/he was a member - again, not purely a male interest...  Perhaps I should have translated my post into Finnish, as s/he did on one occasion, which would have solved the problem  :)

prémont

Quote from: DaveF on July 16, 2022, 12:01:42 AM
I see KlassiskDronning has deleted his account.

But he/she has apparently re-registered yesterday (se members-register).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DaveF

Ah, good - I thought we deserved more than a couple of days.

I see in another post that "most guys do admit I am pretty".  Looking more and more likely that she's a lady.

Karl Henning

Or not.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 16, 2022, 07:28:50 AM
Or not.

Well, the word queen makes me rather think of a drag.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 16, 2022, 10:12:17 AM
Well, the word queen makes me rather think of a drag.  :-\

There is indeed that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

You could just ASK, people.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on July 16, 2022, 02:28:37 PM
You could just ASK, people.
;D

I don't get where that preoccupation came from, but the Queen is part of a worrisome trend recently where people are friendly to a newcomer in the "welcome" section, then become needlessly hostile when the new person starts posting elsewhere. Judging by the reaction, you'd think finding Franz Schubert cute was a human rights violation.

I think it's probably because we have almost all known each other for years now and are unaccustomed to people having different perspectives. Whatever the reason, I hope the board is more welcoming in future.

VonStupp

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2022, 02:56:02 PM
[...] but the Queen is part of a worrisome trend recently where people are friendly to a newcomer in the "welcome" section, then become needlessly hostile when the new person starts posting elsewhere. Judging by the reaction, you'd think finding Franz Schubert cute was a human rights violation.

I don't think I characterized this as such in my reply within the Schubert thread.

The question was posed whether or not you think Schubert was attractive, and I answered that I didn't and explained why from a fairly accurate historical perspective as I understand them (short, squat, destructive drinker, and syphilitic are in fact not qualities I find particularly attractive all at once). Queen took offense at that summation personally it seems.

I do think Coffee and Queen were reacted to harshly in their recent thread creations though, and if I was a product of that, I will attend to it better.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."