Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: VonStupp on July 16, 2022, 03:57:52 PM
I don't think I characterized this as such in my reply within the Schubert thread.

The question was posed whether or not you think Schubert was attractive, and I answered that I didn't and explained why from a fairly accurate historical perspective as I understand them (short, squat, destructive drinker, and syphilitic are in fact not qualities I find particularly attractive all at once). Queen took offense at that summation personally it seems.

I do think Coffee and Queen were reacted to harshly in their recent thread creations though, and if I was a product of that, I will attend to it better.

VS
Definitely not attributing it to you specifically (and I did think it funny how small of an objection syphilis was to them  ;D )

bhodges

For the record, and whether goaded or not, the Danish metal person became highly abusive to some of the posters here, which is why the account was deleted. The same person attempted to re-register as ~ClassicalQueen, and was excised again.

Nothing wrong with metal fans here -- I know we have many -- but to burst into a classical music forum (and with somewhat preconceived notions about classical listeners), seeking instant affirmation for a different art form, and then getting angry at the tepid response (to put it mildly) is a bit naïve.

Carry on.

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on July 16, 2022, 02:28:37 PM
You could just ASK, people.

I respect their privacy, even if they sashay in a Schubert thread.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 16, 2022, 04:37:48 PM
I respect their privacy, even if they sashay in a Schubert thread.

Well no, you don't. The reason I said that you could just ask is because all of the speculation here on this other thread is not "respecting their privacy".

It's academic now in this particular case.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Arsenic33

Quote from: Brewski on July 16, 2022, 04:24:10 PM
For the record, and whether goaded or not, the Danish metal person became highly abusive to some of the posters here, which is why the account was deleted. The same person attempted to re-register as ~ClassicalQueen, and was excised again.

Nothing wrong with metal fans here -- I know we have many -- but to burst into a classical music forum (and with somewhat preconceived notions about classical listeners), seeking instant affirmation for a different art form, and then getting angry at the tepid response (to put it mildly) is a bit naïve.

Carry on.

--Bruce

Hello Bruce I am so sorry I really didn't mean to post anything against the community guidelines or abusive content. I misunderstood their comments I took it too negatively. Please don't delete my account.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2022, 02:56:02 PM
;DI think it's probably because we have almost all known each other for years now and are unaccustomed to people having different perspectives. Whatever the reason, I hope the board is more welcoming in future.

My particular response to this member (KlassiskDronning) was in their metal thread and I answered honestly and there was some good feedback in that thread from various members. If you ask a question, especially one that is of a subjective nature, then expect to get different responses, but it didn't come as a surprise that many members don't care much about metal. As for the member Coffee, I could've definitely been much nicer and I won't deny I acted rather harshly to the idea of his thread idea. I suppose my post in the metal thread was more a reaction to my more negative responses to Coffee and trying to do better.

bhodges

Quote from: Arsenic33 on July 17, 2022, 06:20:12 AM
Hello Bruce I am so sorry I really didn't mean to post anything against the community guidelines or abusive content. I misunderstood their comments I took it too negatively. Please don't delete my account.

Apology accepted. Please enjoy the board, and all the helpful people here.  :)

--Bruce

Arsenic33

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 16, 2022, 10:12:17 AM
Well, the word queen makes me rather think of a drag.  :-\

Just to clarify, I was using the actual terminology
Of "Queen" meaning female ruler, which ultimately originates from old Norse/Anglo-Saxon Kvine/cwen meaning "woman"
Look it up in any dictionary it will show you the etymology of the word.
Of course "drag queen" is a male actor playing a woman.

Arsenic33

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 16, 2022, 02:46:23 AM
The name, ~ClassicalQueen, could suggest a female.

Of course I am a female.💋

MusicTurner

Quote from: Arsenic33 on July 17, 2022, 07:39:06 AM
Of course I am a female.💋

Thank you for the update on the matter :)

Karl Henning

We all of us were simply DYING to know ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

prémont

Quote from: Arsenic33 on July 17, 2022, 07:38:01 AM
Just to clarify, I was using the actual terminology
Of "Queen" meaning female ruler, which ultimately originates from old Norse/Anglo-Saxon Kvine/cwen meaning "woman"
Look it up in any dictionary it will show you the etymology of the word.
Of course "drag queen" is a male actor playing a woman.

Well, the translation to "Queen" was a bit confusing, since this word has several more meanings than "Dronning". But thanks for the clarification.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brewski on July 17, 2022, 07:36:58 AM
Apology accepted. Please enjoy the board, and all the helpful people here.  :)

...and the other people here.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Any person who cannot stand, or take as a personal insult,  the least criticism of their beliefs / taste / customs has no business registering on any internet board. Just saying.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: VonStupp on July 16, 2022, 03:57:52 PM
The question was posed whether or not you think Schubert was attractive, and I answered that I didn't and explained why from a fairly accurate historical perspective as I understand them (destructive drinker, and syphilitic

Aber, aber, mein lieber Herr Von Stupp --- those two conditiions were fairly common back then. Excluding drinking* and syphilitic people from one's company in the early 19th century meant turning oneself into a reclusive monk.  ;D

*back then it was safer to drink wine or beer than water, to begin with...  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 17, 2022, 09:22:58 AM
Aber, aber, mein lieber Herr Von Stupp --- those two conditiions were fairly common back then. Excluding drinking* and syphilitic people from one's company in the early 19th century meant turning oneself into a reclusive monk.  ;D

*back then it was safer to drink wine or beer than water, to begin with...  ;)

Of course, the specific obection was destructive drinker. There was nothing especially prudish about VS's exceptions.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 17, 2022, 09:29:18 AM
Of course, the specific obection was destructive drinker. There was nothing especially prudish about VS's exceptions.

What evidence is there for Schubert being a destructive drinker?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 17, 2022, 09:36:02 AM
What evidence is there for Schubert being a destructive drinker?

That is more than I can speak to. Just reporting that this was the non-monastic objection ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 17, 2022, 09:49:32 AM
That is more than I can speak to. Just reporting that this was the non-monastic objection ....

Oh, but I never implied Von Stupp was prudish. My reply was good-humoured.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 17, 2022, 10:22:27 AM
Oh, but I never implied Von Stupp was prudish. My reply was good-humoured.  :)

So it was.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA