Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 01:03:03 AM
Member ZD7 has been back for a few weeks now with a new nick "Ghost Sonata" - no one else noticed? (I thought it was obvious) :o

No it was not obvious, how could it. We do not know how members look like, apart from a few, me included. Changing names is a highly disturbing item. Existing members should tell all on the forum that they changed their nick name. To avoid confusion!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Rinaldo

What's with all these new usernames, anyway? Of all the internet forums I've been to, GMG has the highest self-reinvention rate, by far. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. I just find it kinda weird!

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 02, 2016, 01:06:45 AM
No it was not obvious, how could it. We do not know how members look like, apart from a few, me included. Changing names is a highly disturbing item. Existing members should tell all on the forum that they changed their nick name. To avoid confusion!

Not to be rude but I think maybe some of you guys need to pay a bit more attention - im a keen observer of the forum and know everyone here because im interested in them.
How could you not know? - Im pretty sure he even used that avatar a while back.
Changing nicks is no big deal and shouldn't upset anyone - look at the rate people change their avatars and usernames.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 01:03:03 AM
Member ZD7 has been back for a few weeks now with a new nick "Ghost Sonata" - no one else noticed? (I thought it was obvious) :o

Personally, I never understood why some members change their screen names and what purpose could it possibly serve other than to cause some general confusion.

Cato

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 02, 2016, 01:15:15 AM
What's with all these new usernames, anyway? Of all the internet forums I've been to, GMG has the highest self-reinvention rate, by far. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. I just find it kinda weird!

Two words:

Witness Protection  $:) ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Parsifal

Quote from: Jo498 on September 02, 2016, 12:16:28 AM
I think both Zauberdrachen and Elgarian left over rather insubstantial quarrels with some other member which is really deplorable; I hope they come back some day!

My understanding is the Elgarian did not leave because of a "quarrel" but because of egregious one-sided abuse.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 02, 2016, 06:24:56 AM
Personally, I never understood why some members change their screen names avatars on a daily basis and what purpose could it possibly serve other than to cause some general confusion.

;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 02, 2016, 06:24:56 AM
Personally, I never understood why some members change their screen names and what purpose could it possibly serve other than to cause some general confusion.

Come on dude - why does it have to serve a purpose? Its just a bit of fun: changing your identitiy.
As the others pointed out already you change your avatar regularly - I seen you change it 2 or 3 times in one day even.
Like I said to Harry already people need to pay a bit more attention to whats going on - I hope you aren't making some comment about me changing my username: I mean, good grief I been using the same avatar for a while now and I put my name in my Signature so how could you not know who I am :o

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 02, 2016, 12:53:32 AM
If we cannot even hold piece on this forum, how can we expect to get peace in this world I wonder.

Well, Harry, I think you've answered your own question.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Que

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 06:52:06 AM
My understanding is the Elgarian did not leave because of a "quarrel" but because of egregious one-sided abuse.

I really hope he returns soon... I really like him and appreciated him as a very valued member and very amiable and civil person.

Anyway, although I think we tend to follow a pretty broad minded moderating policy: if there is any personal abuse, we'd like to know.
Zero tolerance on that, as far as I'm concerned.

Q

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 03:21:03 PM
Come on dude - why does it have to serve a purpose? Its just a bit of fun: changing your identitiy.
As the others pointed out already you change your avatar regularly - I seen you change it 2 or 3 times in one day even.
Like I said to Harry already people need to pay a bit more attention to whats going on - I hope you aren't making some comment about me changing my username: I mean, good grief I been using the same avatar for a while now and I put my name in my Signature and youre confused if its me or not ::).
I don't know why you would expect every or any member to notice. I'm not sure why you would chastise any member for not realizing that a member had changed their name. For the record, I didn't realize it and probably never would have if someone hadn't said (not that it matters to me either). I wouldn't even have posted about it, except you did it twice.

For the record, I've never changed my avatar and I suspect members would fall off their chairs if I did.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 02, 2016, 05:12:01 PM
I don't know why you would expect every or any member to notice. I'm not sure why you would chastise any member for not realizing that a member had changed their name. For the record, I didn't realize it and probably never would have if someone hadn't said (not that it matters to me either). I wouldn't even have posted about it, except you did it twice.

For the record, I've never changed my avatar and I suspect members would fall off their chairs if I did.

I didn't chastise anyone or say every member would notice - All I said was I think people don't pay enough attention around here.
RE: ZD7 - basically a new member shows up who talks exactly like ZD7, has the same taste in music and has the same avatar and people are confused who it is?
Maybe I pay a bit more attention than your average GMG member and remember stuff about people - that's just because Im interested.
people are what this forum is all about.
The reason I posted about it twice was because I think ZD7/Ghost Sonata is a very valuable and interesting member and Im going to notice if they are or aren't around - but nobody else did.. ok ::)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 02, 2016, 05:12:01 PM

I think my floor is safe.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 05:16:28 PM
I didn't chastise anyone or say every member would notice - All I said was I think people don't pay enough attention around here.
RE: ZD7 - basically a new member shows up who talks exactly like ZD7, has the same taste in music and has the same avatar and people are confused who it is?
Maybe I pay a bit more attention than your average GMG member and remember stuff about people - that's just because Im interested.
The reason I posted about it twice was because I think ZD7/Ghost Sonata is a very valuable and interesting member and Im going to notice if they are or aren't around - but nobody else did.. ok ::)
And yet you just did it again. Sigh.

Let's just say I get what you are trying to say and leave it at that...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 05:16:28 PM

We're all "interested." But there are many dozens of active members, some of whom know each other far better than others, and no one can be expected to keep track of everybody especially when they go about changing names and avatars all the time.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Jo498 on September 02, 2016, 12:16:28 AM
I think both Zauberdrachen and Elgarian left over rather insubstantial quarrels with some other member which is really deplorable; I hope they come back some day!

The Dragon (that is, I) left over something even less substantial than an insubstantial quarrel. I added a word to Gurn's list of undesirable personal attributes not to be used - "dimwitted" - I think it was and I breathed fire that it was censored.  The humor, I thought, was obvious and no offense intended to anyone.  But, never underestimate the possibility of being misunderstood in this medium.  Little did I realize until the next morning that the appellation applied to me, doubly so, for not dealing with the situation proactively and for abandoning a fun and informative forum.  The Dragon (that is, I) was very sad to lose his friends, withered, and died.  Many months passed before the possibility of resurrection as a ghost arose.  Good name, I thought, for I definitely felt as insubstantial as a specter might and with the same desire to reach out to the living.  Hat tip to DSCH71 for blowing my cover.  I wondered how I was ever going to come out from under the sheet.  Boo!  Apologies and a grateful thank you to those who missed Z7.
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Christo

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 06:52:06 AMMy understanding is the Elgarian did not leave because of a "quarrel" but because of egregious one-sided abuse.
I really hope not and find it sad to read this. I know Elgarian as a very kind and very well-informed member, whose opinions I always valued. Hope to see him back, here.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948