Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 05:16:28 PM
RE: ZD7 - basically a new member shows up who talks exactly like ZD7, has the same taste in music...

What?!#@ I didn't mention Brahms once as Ghost Sonata!  :laugh:
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on September 02, 2016, 06:02:21 PM

Give it time....and glad of your return.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on September 02, 2016, 06:02:21 PM

;D ;D
Sorry for blowing your cover and I apologize if I embarrassed you too.
Just wanted to say welcome back to yourself and the other people who have re-joined us again lately.
I think Id better bow out of this thread now and get back to listening.. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on September 02, 2016, 05:58:08 PM
The Dragon (that is, I) left over something even less substantial than an insubstantial quarrel. I added a word to Gurn's list of undesirable personal attributes not to be used - "dimwitted" - I think it was and I breathed fire that it was censored.  The humor, I thought, was obvious and no offense intended to anyone.  But, never underestimate the possibility of being misunderstood in this medium.  Little did I realize until the next morning that the appellation applied to me, doubly so, for not dealing with the situation proactively and for abandoning a fun and informative forum.  The Dragon (that is, I) was very sad to lose his friends, withered, and died.  Many months passed before the possibility of resurrection as a ghost arose.  Good name, I thought, for I definitely felt as insubstantial as a specter might and with the same desire to reach out to the living.  Hat tip to DSCH71 for blowing my cover.  I wondered how I was ever going to come out from under the sheet.  Boo!  Apologies and a grateful thank you to those who missed Z7.

Welcome back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 06:06:02 PM
;D ;D
Sorry for blowing your cover and I apologize if I embarrassed you too.
Just wanted to say welcome back to yourself and the other people who have re-joined us again lately.
I think Id better bow out of this thread now and get back to listening.. :)

Not a problem, frankly relieved and grateful to you.  :)

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on September 02, 2016, 06:08:56 PM
Not a problem, frankly relieved and grateful to you.  :)

Ah but what if he's an impostor? Perhaps this nefarious so-called "Ghost Sonata" as merely stolen the identity of ZD7?

Or is thinking that possible .... dimwitted?

;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DSCH71 on September 02, 2016, 03:21:03 PM
Come on dude - why does it have to serve a purpose? Its just a bit of fun: changing your identitiy.
As the others pointed out already you change your avatar regularly - I seen you change it 2 or 3 times in one day even.
Like I said to Harry already people need to pay a bit more attention to whats going on - I hope you aren't making some comment about me changing my username: I mean, good grief I been using the same avatar for a while now and I put my name in my Signature so how could you not know who I am :o

All I'm saying is user name changes are more confusing for me. I can change avatars 20 times a day if wanted to, but other members' reactions would probably be "Oh, MI is at it again." ;D I'm not just making a comment about your user name change, but to anyone that's felt the need to do so. You're confusing me! :D That is all. Peace! 8)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 02, 2016, 07:10:59 PM
All I'm saying is user name changes are more confusing for me. I can change avatars 20 times a day if wanted to, but other members' reactions would probably be "Oh, MI is at it again." ;D I'm not just making a comment about your user name change, but to anyone that's felt the need to do so. You're confusing me! :D That is all. Peace! 8)

No worries, thanks for your reply - Im all for a peaceful life too! :D

Florestan

Welcome back, ZD7! Good to see you again!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wanderer

Quote from: Que on September 02, 2016, 04:51:51 PM
I really hope he returns soon... I really like him and appreciated him as a very valued member and very amiable and civil person.

Same here.

The Dragon (that is, I)

Welcome back!

For what is worth, I also find name changes confusing (avatar changes not so much) and as for signatures, I have them disabled since virtually forever (some of them were elaborately long and disruptive of thread flow).

Wanderer

Good name, I thought...

It is good, keep it! Too much emphasis on symphonies in this forum, anyway.  $:)

Cato

Is your new name a reference to the Strindberg work?

Yes, welcome back, Wandering Prodigal Dragon!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Wanderer

Quote from: André on September 01, 2016, 02:40:13 PM
I, too, miss Maciek  :( 

And his famous quote of 'Ban them all !'  :laugh:

8)

I also hope he'll return someday.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Ken B on September 02, 2016, 06:36:12 PM
Ah but what if he's an impostor? Perhaps this nefarious so-called "Ghost Sonata" as merely stolen the identity of ZD7?

Or is thinking that possible .... dimwitted?

;)

Drat! Busted AGAIN!!  :'(  You guys are waaay too clever and smart for a dimwitted dragon and his spurious specter.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Cato on September 03, 2016, 03:54:33 AM
Is your new name a reference to the Strindberg work?

Yes, welcome back, Wandering Prodigal Dragon!  0:)

Thank you so much.  Yup, and along with it the Beethoven, of course; Strindberg's play (and its focus on death and deceit) seemed an apt analogy for my stealth op. It's an incredible play and one that rewards re-readings, if you can stomach it, that is.  Always wondered how much I might be missing by not being able to read the orig. Swedish.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on September 03, 2016, 05:23:20 AM
Thank you so much.  Yup, and along with it the Beethoven, of course; Strindberg's play (and its focus on death and deceit) seemed an apt analogy for my stealth op. It's an incredible play and one that rewards re-readings, if you can stomach it, that is.  Always wondered how much I might be missing by not being able to read the orig. Swedish.
Hey! You can read Maupassant in French! Cut yer whining!  :P :laugh:

I can barely manage GdM in French, slowly.  :(

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Ken B on September 03, 2016, 08:44:40 AM
Hey! You can read Maupassant in French! Cut yer whining!  :P :laugh:
I can barely manage GdM in French, slowly.  :(

J'aime me plaindre : ça fait s'enfuir les Furies, tu sais? Because of his journalistic style and the fact he was writing for the masses, Maupassant is an easy read.  You're Canadian, it's in your blood, man!  In any case, he translates well.  Some authors are nearly untranslatable, Strindberg I suspect is one, but dunno for certain.  Kafka's a good example of untranslatable, his prose is more musical and also funnier than English translations can muster.  And then, there's someone like Poe; I think the French are right - Edgar's better in French than in English...  And speaking of whining, glad you came back to the fold, Ken B. Missed ya'! 0:)

Mirror Image

I still lament the departure of Sid. He was a person I met on Talk Classical about seven years ago and we enjoyed correspondence until his leaving GMG. Very knowledgeable person with a keen sense of wanting to know music from the inside out.

It's a shame to think about really all the great people forums lose over time. Sometimes it's real life duties or obligations that come beckoning. Sometimes it's complete dissatisfaction with a forum itself. Whatever the cause may be, it's never a good thing to bid farewell to someone you've enjoyed conversing with about this passion that we all share and want to share with others.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2016, 06:59:39 PM
I still lament the departure of Sid. He was a person I met on Talk Classical about seven years ago and we enjoyed correspondence until his leaving GMG. Very knowledgeable person with a keen sense of wanting to know music from the inside out.

Yes its shame about Sid - he left TC now too so he's nowhere to be found (as far as I know).
From what I could tell he just got pissed off with the negativity and politics of being in a social media group - can kind of understand his displeasure sometimes.
This is quite a good group though and certainly much less hostile/trolly than TC for instance - we aren't doing too bad: had a lot of people rejoin us in the last few months which is good :).

Maciek

So, against my better judgment, I peeked into the last page of this thread, and saw the post from Wanderer with the quote from André, which in turn led me to Christo's reply - and now I feel so totally embarrassed! But in a nice way, also. Thank you for remembering me, guys! I do lurk sometimes (what better proof than this post ;D). And even do an occasional search for recording recommendations... ;D Even if I am not very active, and don't read the forum regularly, this place still remains very important to me. I mean really very important! I have learned so much here, and continue to learn, and have got to know wonderful people here, and will probably be getting to know more wonderful people. Thank you!