Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cato

Quote from: Maciek on September 04, 2016, 01:31:26 PM
So, against my better judgment, I peeked into the last page of this thread, and saw the post from Wanderer with the quote from André, which in turn led me to Christo's reply - and now I feel so totally embarrassed! But in a nice way, also. Thank you for remembering me, guys! I do lurk sometimes (what better proof than this post ;D). And even do an occasional search for recording recommendations... ;D Even if I am not very active, and don't read the forum regularly, this place still remains very important to me. I mean really very important! I have learned so much here, and continue to learn, and have got to know wonderful people here, and will probably be getting to know more wonderful people. Thank you!

YAY!  Maciek is big, bad, and back in action! 0:)  How are things in Poland and with the family?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

NorthNYMark

Since this thread seems to be as much about returning members as absent ones, it seems a good place to reintroduce myself. I've been inactive for about a year now, but probably hadn't posted regularly enough in the years before that for folks to have noticed my absence. After the busy-ness of buying a first house and going through more of a jazz and pop listening period, the classical bug has hit again, and I just read through the entire complete Beethoven sonatas thread over the weekend! Thanks again to all the members who make the site such a valuable source of information!

Mirror Image

Welcome back, NorthNYMark! Good to see you again. 8)

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: NorthNYMark on September 06, 2016, 07:22:15 PM
Since this thread seems to be as much about returning members as absent ones, it seems a good place to reintroduce myself. I've been inactive for about a year now, but probably hadn't posted regularly enough in the years before that for folks to have noticed my absence. After the busy-ness of buying a first house and going through more of a jazz and pop listening period, the classical bug has hit again, and I just read through the entire complete Beethoven sonatas thread over the weekend! Thanks again to all the members who make the site such a valuable source of information!

Welcome back - we are practically kin (I'm orig. from Rochester).  Well, that's an exaggeration ??? but welcome back indeed!
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2016, 07:35:49 PM
Welcome back, NorthNYMark! Good to see you again. 8)

Thanks, John! Good to see you again as well.

(And please feel free to call me Mark-- the screen name is simply meant to suggest "Mark, from Northern New York," though I'm not sure it reads that way).

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on September 06, 2016, 07:40:19 PM
Welcome back - we are practically kin (I'm orig. from Rochester).  Well, that's an exaggeration ??? but welcome back indeed!

Thanks, Ghost Sonata! I grew up mainly in the Cleveland area, but lived in Rochester for many years, first as a grad student at U of R, and then for a few more years teaching at SUNY Geneseo. Currently in remote Canton, in the North Country--I miss many things about Rochester.

Mirror Image

Quote from: NorthNYMark on September 06, 2016, 07:52:25 PM
Thanks, John! Good to see you again as well.

(And please feel free to call me Mark-- the screen name is simply meant to suggest "Mark, from Northern New York," though I'm not sure it reads that way).

Will do, Mark. :) By the way, you'll have to refresh my memory, what composers are you into? I remember us having several common favorites.

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2016, 08:58:10 PM
Will do, Mark. :) By the way, you'll have to refresh my memory, what composers are you into? I remember us having several common favorites.

I think our main areas of overlapping interest include Shostakovich, Bartok, Ligeti, and Sibelius. I also enjoy the Second Vienna School, but don't remember whether you do. I also listen to a lot of Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, and Liszt, which I recall are not favorites of yours. I also enjoy exploring various 19th and 20th century (and beyond) composers whose works get discussed here.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: NorthNYMark on September 06, 2016, 09:37:22 PM
I think our main areas of overlapping interest include Shostakovich, Bartok, Ligeti, and Sibelius. I also enjoy the Second Vienna School, but don't remember whether you do. I also listen to a lot of Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, and Liszt, which I recall are not favorites of yours. I also enjoy exploring various 19th and 20th century (and beyond) composers whose works get discussed here.

We do have some composers in common indeed. Yes, I love the Second Viennese School. I like Beethoven and Brahms. Shostakovich is a composer I haven't spent much time with lately, but I do clearly like his music a lot. Bartok is, of course, an absolute favorite. Ligeti I enjoy but I wouldn't say he's a 'favorite'. Sibelius is another one of my favorite composers.

André

Quote from: Maciek on September 04, 2016, 01:31:26 PM
So, against my better judgment, I peeked into the last page of this thread, and saw the post from Wanderer with the quote from André, which in turn led me to Christo's reply - and now I feel so totally embarrassed! But in a nice way, also. Thank you for remembering me, guys! I do lurk sometimes (what better proof than this post ;D). And even do an occasional search for recording recommendations... ;D Even if I am not very active, and don't read the forum regularly, this place still remains very important to me. I mean really very important! I have learned so much here, and continue to learn, and have got to know wonderful people here, and will probably be getting to know more wonderful people. Thank you!

Mack the Knife !  ;) You're my hero !

You opened my ears to polish music a decade ago. At the time I knew only of Chopin, Lutoslawski and Penderecki. I'm proud now to have a whole section of my collection devoted to all these other wonderful classical and modern composers ! Welcome back !!

NorthNYMark

Mirror Image

I'll be taking a prolonged break from GMG and probably will return in December or early January. I've got some things in my life that I need to attend to. All the best to my friends here. It's been fun! But don't for a second think this is goodbye, because, it's not, it's merely a much overdue break and a need to focus on things in my actual life.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2016, 08:41:23 PM
I'll be taking a prolonged break from GMG and probably will return in December or early January. I've got some things in my life that I need to attend to. All the best to my friends here. It's been fun! But don't for a second think this is goodbye, because, it's not, it's merely a much overdue break and a need to focus on things in my actual life.

I hope all is well and I am looking forward to seeing you back here soon!

Harry

OMG the posting quota will go down dramatically.. :laugh: :laugh:
Settle your things, and come again.
After all you keep the CD'S companies alive single handedly.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Best luck and come back soon (with a new avatar, of course)!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: NorthNYMark on September 06, 2016, 07:22:15 PM

Welcome back!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Rinaldo

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 08, 2016, 10:18:58 PM
OMG the posting quota will go down dramatically.. :laugh: :laugh:

Reminds me of the comment on Rosalyn Tureck's death: "The average tempo of Bach-playing by live artists has immediately increased 10%."

Will miss you, John. We had our spats in years past but I can safely now say we've become friends.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."