Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 18, 2016, 01:12:02 PM
Hah! Thanks, Jessop, but I had full confidence that GMG would be fine without me even for that brief period of my absence. In fact, GMG has existed way before my time, so, again, I had no worries. :)

Next time, though, you have to be away for more than three days before posting a departure message.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Mirror Image

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on September 18, 2016, 04:16:13 PM
Next time, though, you have to be away for more than three days before posting a departure message.

Well, to my credit, I was gone for eight days, but, yes, I shouldn't have posted a departing message since we all know I can't stay away for too long. I've got GMG-itis! ;D

Btw, I read your post a page or two back in response to my departure and I'm proud to call you my friend as well. :)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 18, 2016, 04:38:07 PM
Well, to my credit, I was gone for eight days, but, yes, I shouldn't have posted a departing message since we all know I can't stay away for too long. I've got GMG-itis! ;D

Btw, I read your post a page or two back in response to my departure and I'm proud to call you my friend as well. :)

Hey, we all need all the friends we can get!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Mirror Image

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on September 18, 2016, 06:41:59 PM
Hey, we all need all the friends we can get!

In true Karl fashion: QFT.

hpowders

Folks, I enjoyed my one week stay on your forum.

I must do it again sometime.  :)

Regards,

hp
"Why do so many of us try to explain the beauty of music thus depriving it of its mystery?" Leonard Bernstein. (Wait a minute!! Didn't Bernstein spend most of his life doing exactly that???)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: hpowders on September 21, 2016, 09:13:23 AM
Folks, I enjoyed my one week stay on your forum.

I must do it again sometime.  :)

Regards,

hp
But the poll regarding your username hasn't closed yet! We need to confirm the result!!!!

GioCar

Quote from: jessop on September 21, 2016, 03:01:48 PM
But the poll regarding your username hasn't closed yet! We need to confirm the result!!!!

Don't be too upset. He'll be back in few days as usual

Marc

Jens (jlaurson) has left the GMG building?
He's now a guest....

That's truly a pity.

:(

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Marc on September 24, 2016, 08:08:16 AM
He's now a guest....

That's truly a pity.

Yes, he's gone. He pm'd me with an explanation for his decision shortly before deleting his account.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Marc on September 24, 2016, 08:08:16 AM
He's now a guest....

That's truly a pity.

What? That's a shame. I liked Jens.

Jo498

Because his "Faschist" thread title was changed by mods? Seems like an overreaction...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Marc

Quote from: Jo498 on September 25, 2016, 08:39:34 AM
Because his "Faschist" thread title was changed by mods? Seems like an overreaction...

Dunno about that.
Was it a 'Diner' thread?

North Star

Quote from: Marc on September 25, 2016, 09:38:25 AM
Dunno about that.
Was it a 'Diner' thread?
Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688 - 1758), first named 'First International Union of Faschists' by Jens.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Marc on September 25, 2016, 09:38:25 AM
Dunno about that.
Was it a 'Diner' thread?
No, about Fasch.
I recall a "Faschist" too but cannot find it. Was that the tread name? Or just his article's hook?
I would object to such a change. Of course I objected to Saul being singled out too.
However a note on the thread says it was edited to remove a PM that was published without permission. Removing that was entirely proper.

Update: on further thought maybe it wouldn't be proper if the PM was from a moderator discussing an alleged infraction. That is not actually a private personal message, it is a ruling of the adjudicators and they should have no right to seal their judgments. Is this a Star Chamber?

So I ask Knight66, was the PM removed from a moderator or moderators giving a ruling?

Ken B

Quote from: Marc on September 25, 2016, 10:16:16 AM

I was unaware concern for the rights of members or transparency deserves mockery. Thanks for enlightening me.

Marc

Quote from: Ken B on September 25, 2016, 10:21:05 AM
I was unaware concern for the rights of members or transparency deserves mockery. Thanks for enlightening me.

Dunno if clarification is needed, but it's just my reaction to a rather sad story. It shouldn't have happened.
A mouse turned into an elephant IMHO.
But I won't put the blame.

knight66

Jens is not around to defend himself. So I am not going into any detail, but he was not in any way asked to leave.

The PMs published were not rullings, they were discussions. It is not acceptable for any PMs between any menbers to be published without the prior agreement of the other party. Publishing what is private correspondence between members can lead to various kinds of problems. It is not specified within the current rules, but it has certainly been the practice here in the 10 years I have been around.

It does not matter whether a mod is involved, you need to know that whatever you write on a PM is not going to be published; if it is, it would be removed. The only exception I can think of is where a member has died and is quoted by others by way of a tribute, which I think did happen when Iago passed away.

Knight

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.