Happy 4th of July ...

Started by Mark, July 04, 2007, 04:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

... to all you Americans. :)

I'm celebrating (well, I'm not; it's more of a coincidence) by going to see an American singer/songwriter in concert at London's Hammersmith Apollo this evening.

Tori Amos

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Hollywood

Being a U.S. expat and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution living here in Austria, I felt it was my patriotic duty to play my John Philip Sousa cds full blast in honor of today being the 4th of July.  8)

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

hornteacher

I feel the love!

Lots of Copland on my listening list today.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mark on July 04, 2007, 04:58:42 AM
... to all you Americans. :) ................

Mark - thanks for the celebratory message!  Dave  :)

Mark

Quote from: SonicMan on July 04, 2007, 08:02:47 AM
Mark - thanks for the celebratory message!  Dave  :)

You guys are more than welcome, Dave. Hope you had a good day.

I had a great evening in Ms Amos' company, incidentally. She wore a stars and stripes all-in-one catsuit (meow!), and belted out some of her best songs with her three-piece band. Place was packed, and the light show was worthy of a stadium rock gig. Very different from her much more intimate, one-woman-and-three-keyboards tour of two years ago.

God bless America for Tori Amos. :)

George

Quote from: Mark on July 05, 2007, 01:24:28 AM
You guys are more than welcome, Dave. Hope you had a good day.

I had a great evening in Ms Amos' company, incidentally. She wore a stars and stripes all-in-one catsuit (meow!), and belted out some of her best songs with her three-piece band. Place was packed, and the light show was worthy of a stadium rock gig. Very different from her much more intimate, one-woman-and-three-keyboards tour of two years ago.

God bless America for Tori Amos. :)

Glad you had a good time, Mark!  :)

greg

fireworks outside until 11:30........
that's nice and all, but i wish fireworks had a mute button.

George

Quote from: greg on July 05, 2007, 05:16:25 AM
fireworks outside until 11:30........
that's nice and all, but i wish fireworks had a mute button.

I hear ya greg!

It got old by the time I was 16.  :-\

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on July 05, 2007, 11:54:12 AM
I hear ya greg!

It got old by the time I was 16.  :-\

George - LOL!  ;D  I grew up in southern MI near the Ohio border - we always got 'fireworks' on the 4th of July (and @ other times - oops!) - favs were M-80s & Cherry Bombs - got old by my later teens, although I did a few 'interesting' innovations (not to be discussed - rather juvenile!).

In North Carolina, fireworks are outlawed (except for sparklers - give me a BREAK!), athough once you cross the border into South Carolina, plenty of 'factory outlet' stores for fireworks - interesting contrast!

But just a week or so ago and about 2 miles from my house in a housing development, some guy was trying to make 'homemade' fireworks - an explosion occurred - looked at some of his xrays a few days later after the 'accident' - he blew off all of his fingers & half of one hand + lost one eye; lesson - don't try to make your own!  :o  Dave -  :)

George

Quote from: SonicMan on July 05, 2007, 02:25:26 PM
George - LOL!  ;D  I grew up in southern MI near the Ohio border - we always got 'fireworks' on the 4th of July (and @ other times - oops!) - favs were M-80s & Cherry Bombs - got old by my later teens, although I did a few 'interesting' innovations (not to be discussed - rather juvenile!).

:)

In North Carolina, fireworks are outlawed (except for sparklers - give me a BREAK!), athough once you cross the border into South Carolina, plenty of 'factory outlet' stores for fireworks - interesting contrast!

Indeed! Sparklers? Those aren't fireworks, those are matches to light the real stuff with.  ;D

But just a week or so ago and about 2 miles from my house in a housing development, some guy was trying to make 'homemade' fireworks - an explosion occurred - looked at some of his xrays a few days later after the 'accident' - he blew off all of his fingers & half of one hand + lost one eye; lesson - don't try to make your own!  :o  Dave -  :)

Youch!!  :-\

mahlertitan

Fireworks still going strong 2:00 AM in the morning, needless to say i had no sleep last night!

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on July 05, 2007, 02:37:20 PM

Indeed! Sparklers? Those aren't fireworks, those are matches to light the real stuff with.  ;D

Your right - my wife bought some sparklers a few years ago - she was out on the deck at night dancing around w/ them - I refused to participate! Maybe just a 'macho thing' from my younger years?  ;D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on July 05, 2007, 02:42:56 PM
Your right - my wife bought some sparklers a few years ago - she was out on the deck at night dancing around w/ them - I refused to participate! Maybe just a 'macho thing' from my younger years?  ;D

Dude, I am totally with you. No sparklers, no chick flicks and no clothes shopping "for the hell of it."  >:(

;)

hornteacher

Quote from: SonicMan on July 05, 2007, 02:25:26 PM

Yes, and I live near the NC/SC border and needless to say there were a lot of people out here with more than just sparklers.  The cops were very busy last night.