Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

Quote from: Scarpia on March 15, 2017, 11:18:05 AM
I wouldn't put it in quite those terms, but I think of a symphony as use of sound to create an abstract musical narrative. Introduction of a text makes it something other than a symphony, as I think of it. It seems to me that Beethoven's 9th is a cantata by another name.

Can you think of any cantata using such a form?  The movement is structured as something like a rondo or a theme and variations (both common forms for a finale, even if stretched to unusual proportions here), and imitations of vocal music were already a part of Beethoven's symphonies, notably the Fifth.  It doesn't contain any stand-alone arias or parts that can function outside of the whole, and it ties up the discourse begun in the earlier movements.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

JRJoseph

I can't seem to get a handle on Bartok's music.  It seems so harsh most of the time.  Also, hearing Bach's organ music for more than 10 minutes gets on my nerves.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: JRJoseph on March 15, 2017, 12:41:25 PM
I can't seem to get a handle on Bartok's music.  It seems so harsh most of the time.  Also, hearing Bach's organ music for more than 10 minutes gets on my nerves.
Remove the word Bach from your sentence and that is  my feeling as well.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 15, 2017, 08:24:16 AM
It bothers me when composers insert vocals into a symphony.

If there is not mutual consent between the symphony and the composer, the composer could be hauled in by the police, with some very serious legal charges -- and consequences -- coming their way.  Ditto if the symphony went about inserting vocals into the composer without the composer's permission.

Best regards

~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

DaveF

There have never been four such great composers simultaneously working at the top of their game as in the two decades between 1575-94.  (Byrd, Palestrina, Lassus, Victoria.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Ken B

Quote from: DaveF on March 15, 2017, 01:58:24 PM
There have never been four such great composers simultaneously working at the top of their game as in the two decades between 1575-94.  (Byrd, Palestrina, Lassus, Victoria.)

I hadn't thought of it quite that way. Very interesting observation!

kishnevi

Perhaps not two decades, but
c. 1890
Brahms
Bruckner
Tchaikovsky
Sibelius
Debussy
Elgar
Verdi
Saint Saens
Mahler
Grieg

were all alive and producing music.

Madiel

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 15, 2017, 07:00:01 PM
c. 1890
Brahms
Bruckner
Tchaikovsky
Sibelius
Debussy
Elgar
Verdi
Saint Saens
Mahler
Grieg

The Chopin/Schumann/Liszt/Mendelssohn generation weren't too shabby either.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

1720-40: JS Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, F. Couperin, Telemann, Zelenka, Rameau, D. Scarlatti...
1820-40 Beethoven, Schubert, Berlioz, Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt....
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on March 15, 2017, 11:50:06 PM
1820-40 Beethoven, Schubert, Berlioz, Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt....
Beethoven and Schubert were dead most of that time, and Chopin, Schumann and Liszt were kids in 1820. Dave was talking about a 20 y period during which a number of great composers were continuously in excellent form.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 15, 2017, 07:00:01 PM
c. 1890
Brahms
Bruckner
Tchaikovsky
Sibelius
Debussy
Elgar
Verdi
Saint Saens
Mahler
Grieg

2016 was also quite a good year. 2017 hopefully will be too.

Jo498

o.k., but still 1830-50 would qualify for Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Schumann (I know that some died a few years before the end of the decade)

And any two subsequent decades 1860-1950 would also work fine, I guess.

e.g. 1860-1880: Wagner, Verdi, Brahms, Bruckner...
1870-90: Verdi, Brahms, Bruckner, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Franck...
etc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Don't know whether this is unpopular, but it's certainly false, as several previous posters have peremptorily showed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2017, 08:35:07 AM
Don't know whether this is unpopular, but it's certainly false, as several previous posters have peremptorily showed.
These days it's popular to be false.

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on March 16, 2017, 02:59:05 AM
Beethoven and Schubert were dead most of that time, and Chopin, Schumann and Liszt were kids in 1820. Ken was talking about a 20 y period during which a number of great composers were continuously in excellent form.
All true, but it's DaveF's observation, I cannot take credit for it.

jochanaan

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 15, 2017, 06:45:08 PM

Maybe I'm the complete opposite of you, I don't know but Bartok's music isn't harsh enough most of the time for me (but his quartets are quite consistently heavy)...
Miraculous Mandarin?  1st Piano Concerto?  Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion?
Imagination + discipline = creativity

DaveF

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 15, 2017, 07:05:04 PM
While I agree with you, you're forgetting about literally every decade in the 20th century  ;)

Well, no, I'm not - I'm as well acquainted with 20th-century music as with 16th-century.  Heck, nearly half of it was composed during my lifetime :o  If Bach, Haydn, Beethoven and Wagner had all been active at the same time, I might change my mind.  But in the end my opinion remains an opinion, and it remains unpopular - which is why it's in this thread.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Madiel

Having an unpopular opinion is very popular all of a sudden.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: DaveF on March 16, 2017, 12:14:52 PM
If Bach, Haydn, Beethoven and Wagner had all been active at the same time, I might change my mind.  But in the end my opinion remains an opinion, and it remains unpopular - which is why it's in this thread.

You like those composers who were to their contemporaries the most avant-garde, cutting edge and 'experimental' composers of their time.  If you were alive then, the likelihood you would have preferred the older masters of former yester-years is high.

OMG, you're average!  Average opinions, as a rule, are not unpopular opinions.  Just sayin'

From any era of music, there are great riches to be had from other than "The Usual Suspects.

Best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: DaveF on March 16, 2017, 12:14:52 PM
Well, no, I'm not - I'm as well acquainted with 20th-century music as with 16th-century.  Heck, nearly half of it was composed during my lifetime :o  If Bach, Haydn, Beethoven and Wagner had all been active at the same time, I might change my mind.  But in the end my opinion remains an opinion, and it remains unpopular - which is why it's in this thread.
Hear hear! And pre baroque music is often overlooked, especially when compared with the immensely popular composers of the 20th century