Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on January 28, 2016, 01:27:20 AM
Really? I've only ever seen the UK's Classic FM file soundtracks to games and movies under 'Classical.' Everyone I know don't consider music written for films and games to be classical music.... And in CD shops, soundtracks get their own section separate from classical (usually a couple of aisles away)....are you sure about this M. Croche?

First, if you can stomach it, do scan through the forty or more pages of heated discussion, opinions, and the butthurt and other sorts of offended and insulted responses to those who maintain and insist film music is not classical,' -- it is a mare's nest, to be sure.

BUT... [Slaps own forehead,] doh -- of course the Q is universally addressed in every online and bricks 'n' mortar CD store on the planet, and answered already by what bin do we put it in?

Lol and thank you.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 28, 2016, 07:20:45 AM
First, if you can stomach it, do scan through the forty or more pages of heated discussion, opinions, and the butthurt and other sorts of offended and insulted responses to those who maintain and insist film music is not classical,' -- it is a mare's nest, to be sure.

Ah, that's nothing. If you really want to torture yourself, go through the 345 pages and 6891 posts dedicated to that Ultimate Faker, Havergal Brian. Surprise, no activity since December 15. What's wrong with you guys?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Jo498

I cannot muster any enthusiasm for the film score pro/con discussion, maybe this is also an unpopular opinion considering the popularity of the discussion in the Star Wars music thread...

(My quick answer would be that it is a category mistake; "film music" and "classical music" are different types of classification. There are classical film scores and there are some that aren't. Star wars probably isn't but "Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene" and some Korngold and Shostakovitch probably are.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on January 28, 2016, 09:09:00 AM
(My quick answer would be that it is a category mistake; "film music" and "classical music" are different types of classification. There are classical film scores and there are some that aren't. Star wars probably isn't but "Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene" and some Korngold and Shostakovitch probably are.)

Exactly.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Gents,

While it is the point of this thread to point out unpopular opinions which you may hold, I must request that you refrain from characterizing others' likes or dislikes (and by inference, them) as, boring, innocuous, insipid, stale, tedious, uninspiring, banal, bland, colorless, dead, driveling, flavorless, inane, jejune, least, lifeless, limp, milk-and-water, Milquetoast, nothing, nowhere, tame, tasteless, tiresome, unimaginative, uninteresting, unpalatable, vacant, vacuous, vapid, watery, weak or wishy-washy.

If you please.
Thank you.
Gurn  8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 28, 2016, 02:34:17 PM
Gents,

While it is the point of this thread to point out unpopular opinions which you may hold, I must request that you refrain from characterizing others' likes or dislikes (and by inference, them) as, boring, innocuous, insipid, stale, tedious, uninspiring, banal, bland, colorless, dead, driveling, flavorless, inane, jejune, least, lifeless, limp, milk-and-water, Milquetoast, nothing, nowhere, tame, tasteless, tiresome, unimaginative, uninteresting, unpalatable, vacant, vacuous, vapid, watery, weak or wishy-washy.

If you please.
Thank you.
Gurn  8)

But what does that leave us?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 28, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
But what does that leave us?

Oh, I know you will come up with something, you are a man of multiple resource, Poco!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Perhaps less acting as premium ass holes towards each other would help?  >:D

But please don't take any personal offence, this is just another unpopular opinion!! :D

Q

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Que on January 29, 2016, 02:13:31 AM
Perhaps less acting as premium ass holes towards each other would help?  >:D

But please don't take any personal offense, this is just another unpopular opinion!! :D

Q

On the other hand, whatever the goal, don't you think that striving to be the best [premium] is the best approach?  ;)

prémont

We need a thread for popular unpopular opinions !! :P $:) >:D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 28, 2016, 02:34:17 PM
boring, innocuous, insipid, stale, tedious, uninspiring, banal, bland, colorless, dead, driveling, flavorless, inane, jejune, least, lifeless, limp, milk-and-water, Milquetoast, nothing, nowhere, tame, tasteless, tiresome, unimaginative, uninteresting, unpalatable, vacant, vacuous, vapid, watery, weak or wishy-washy.

In a single word, popular. Look at popular politicians, for instance.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

I don't like this thread. (← unpopular opinion?)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on January 29, 2016, 04:06:44 AM
I don't like this thread. (← unpopular opinion?)
Certainly not around here, anyway.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Monsieur Croche

''It's taste in the mouth, both strange and delightful, is of a pink bonbon filled with snow.''
-- Claude Debussy, on the music of Edvard Grieg.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 09, 2016, 06:09:38 PM
Percolating..................

Got it!!

Mr. Snuffleupagus missed his calling by slumming on Sesame Street. He should've busted a move on Chewbacca and taken his rightful place as Han Solo's sidekick.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Jo498

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 29, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
''It's taste in the mouth, both strange and delightful, is of a pink bonbon filled with snow.''
-- Claude Debussy, on the music of Edvard Grieg.

I have seen this quote mentioned or referred to before. I am not familiar enough with Debussy's kind of irony to tell if this is really meant as negative as it apparently has been understood sometimes.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 29, 2016, 07:46:49 PM
Got it!!
Mr. Snuffleupagus missed his calling by slumming on Sesame Street. He should've busted a move on Chewbacca and taken his rightful place as Han Solo's sidekick.

MASTODON WASTEDON SESAME STREET, film at eleven.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 28, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Ah, that's nothing. If you really want to torture yourself, go through the 345 pages and 6891 posts dedicated to that Ultimate Faker, Havergal Brian. Surprise, no activity since December 15. What's wrong with you guys?

And my prayers have been answered! Post 6892 has just arrived. Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.

ritter

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 30, 2016, 05:51:56 AM
And my prayers have been answered! Post 6892 has just arrived. Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.
They're back!!!!  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ritter on January 30, 2016, 06:29:02 AM
They're back!!!!  :D

We've never been away...just hibernating, waiting for the promised 2 and 14 to appear  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"