Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyD.

Quote from: Pat B on July 05, 2016, 10:14:10 AM
#LullabiedByBeauty

Wand's Bruckner discography is out of control.)

I have (I guess one of) his Bruckner's 9ths on dvd, like it. Nothing replaces Karajan in the church though imo. My favorite piece (by far) of Bruckner's.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: AndyD. on July 05, 2016, 08:30:13 AM
I do apologize, I don't think of you as a preposterous, pretentious boob (though it tickles me to say it). And that part about whining was not cool. Forgive, please.

That's quite all right, Andy. I am entirely willing to plead guilty to "pretentious"; it's "preposterous" and "boob" to which I object.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

AndyD.

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 05, 2016, 11:18:55 AM
That's quite all right, Andy. I am entirely willing to plead guilty to "pretentious"; it's "preposterous" and "boob" to which I object.

LOL! But "preposterous boob"...it's kinda fun to say. Try it (whilst summoning up the most over the top, officious mannerism): "you preposterous BOOB!". Trust me, you'll at least get a smile.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Monsieur Croche

Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonate and the Grosse Fuga are failures on an epic scale, and both pieces are excessively ugly-sounding.

... or, those particular objects as subject aside, people adore and revere the weirdest things.

~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Jo498

Do you find the first three movements of op.106 also ugly? And is the failure of these works mainly their ugliness or something else? It sound as if the ugliness came on top of the epic failure...
(overall probably not that unpopular, at least not in former times)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Uhor

Music is very small and underdeveloped.

71 dB

Quote from: Uhor on August 21, 2016, 12:31:57 AM
Music is very small and underdeveloped.
Compared to what? Noise?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: AndyD. on July 05, 2016, 11:14:24 AM
I have (I guess one of) his Bruckner's 9ths on dvd, like it. Nothing replaces Karajan in the church though imo. My favorite piece (by far) of Bruckner's.

Yup! to both of those pretentiously preposterous propositions. 
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Karl Henning

Postpreporous!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on August 17, 2016, 10:08:19 PM
Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonate and the Grosse Fuga are failures on an epic scale, and both pieces are excessively ugly-sounding.

Don´t be too harsh on the poor devil, next time he´ll do better, so much so as your benevolent advice, expert guidance and renowned compositional skills would undoubtedly be of invaluable service to him...

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Florestan on August 21, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
Don´t be too harsh on the poor devil, next time he´ll do better, so much so as your benevolent advice, expert guidance and renowned compositional skills would undoubtedly be of invaluable service to him...

Uh, you do know that Luigi needs absolutely no help or advice from anyone?  :)
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 29, 2016, 07:46:49 PM
Got it!!

Mr. Snuffleupagus missed his calling by slumming on Sesame Street. He should've busted a move on Chewbacca and taken his rightful place as Han Solo's sidekick.

Let's not forget the Mr. Snuffleupagus debacle!! Just because it hasn't come up in a while doesn't mean the issue has gone away!!

How can one not be aghast at Mr. Snuffleupagus's thoroughly shoddy treatment and all-around snubbing at the hands of the Hollywood "elite"??

Where was Mr. Snuff when the Hollywood snobs were handing out the lead in television's famous "ALF"??

Where was the consideration when it came time to pick a mega-saurus in the blockbuster Jurassic Park III? Spino??? Way to go Spielberg.....

And, what? That sniveling, half-pint canine as Toto?? Don't get me started!!!!!!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Uhor

If total serialism were a problem, it was abandoned before it was solved.

Wanderer

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on August 17, 2016, 10:08:19 PM
...are failures on an epic scale, and both pieces are excessively ugly-sounding.

This does describe most of the aural products of Xenakis, Stockhausen or the Durmstrang ilk rather more accurately than it does Beethoven.

Wanderer

Quote from: 71 dB on August 21, 2016, 08:18:09 AM
Compared to what? Noise?

Apparently.

Quote from: Uhor on August 22, 2016, 05:14:21 PM
If total serialism were a problem, it was abandoned before it was solved.

Bummer.

Todd

Resurrecting this thread.  Don't know if it has been mentioned before in this thread, but upon re-listening to Op 130, I must say that the revised ending is much better than the Grosse Fugue, and there is a somewhat plausible chance that I never listen to the fugal ending again.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jo498

It was probably in another thread but I remember a little discussion, probably with poco sf and amw about the pros/cons of the fugue vs. the replacement finale. Some favored to have the fugue as a separate piece and preferred the replacement as finale but I don't think anyone found that the fugue is a weaker piece than the replacement.
And elsewhere I have seen statements like that the replacement was a weak and banal piece; there are also at least two recordings by rather famous ensembles that contain only the fugue (Hagen and Artemis) which I find discographically repulsive because I think the listener should be able to decide which one he prefers.
So I guess your opinion qualifies as unpopular... ;)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Discussing possible titles for the Foote thread is more interesting than his music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 04, 2017, 02:09:44 AM
Discussing possible titles for the Foote thread is more interesting than his music.
+1  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr