General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread

Started by Geo Dude, January 15, 2012, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

My brain finally clicked in, and realized I have just received this
[asin]B01DOV8GYI[/asin]

I have yet to actually play it.  Not comprehensive: 8 suites amounting to 89 minutes of music. Released this past October.

bioluminescentsquid

Perhaps it would be better to post this in a "identify this piece" thread, but I'm putting this here.

Who's the composer/performer of this piece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHsLZTLA0eM

Must be a 17th century French composer, based on the style and also harpsichord choice (Tibaut  1681, in the collection of Yannick Guillou) - but who? Too "frenchy" for Frobeger, and definitely not Louis Couperin (I'm pretty confident that I know most of his work). I initially thought Chambonnieres, but I'm not familiar with all his music. However, what I've heard sounds pretty similar to the Courante (?) in the start. Or is it D'Anglebert (not too familiar with his work either)?

Another hint: If my perfect pitch (more of a curse than a blessing when you're a baroque music enthusiast) is correct, at 392 hz tuning the piece should be in D major. The rest of the suite seems to also be in D.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2017, 05:32:47 AM
In fact I like this one because the rubato's so sensual, and I think the harpsichord sounds cool in the high notes, which cut through the sound like botrytis in premier cru Sauternes. She's also recorded some Clerambault, which is well worth catching I think.
I hope I mentioned that this one clicked for me - I love it! The rubato is indeed delightful, and I enjoy the tender touch.

As for Chambonnieres, I'm listening to Sempe's recording - awesome! I never would guess that Sempe had a tender side to him until I heard his Louis Couperin, and this recording reminds me a lot of the Couperin (although much more cheerful and daintier). Still would like to explore Baumont and Lengelle's recordings.

And I also learned how to pronounce his name. I've always suspected that it wasn't pronounced "Sham-bon-eries!"
https://forvo.com/word/jacques_champion_de_chambonni%C3%A8res/

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 26, 2017, 09:20:35 PM
I hope I mentioned that this one clicked for me - I love it! The rubato is indeed delightful, and I enjoy the tender touch.

As for Chambonnieres, I'm listening to Sempe's recording - awesome! I never would guess that Sempe had a tender side to him until I heard his Louis Couperin, and this recording reminds me a lot of the Couperin (although much more cheerful and daintier). Still would like to explore Baumont and Lengelle's recordings.

And I also learned how to pronounce his name. I've always suspected that it wasn't pronounced "Sham-bon-eries!"
https://forvo.com/word/jacques_champion_de_chambonni%C3%A8res/

I do not know the piece, but it might be from this CD:

http://www.lescyclopes.org/fre/7/pieces-de-clavessins
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 26, 2017, 11:48:48 PM
Sounds too early for le Roux, though...

I have ordered the CD, an it will be delivered in about a week. Then I can say more.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 27, 2017, 12:03:29 AM
I have ordered the CD, an it will be delivered in about a week. Then I can say more.

I've found it on Spotify. Quite a nice CD, although I still think I like earlier stuff more. But as I thought, the piece was not on the disc - in fact, the CD was scored for 2 harpsichords.
I'm wondering if it's Lengelle's Chambonnieres, which is also done on the 1681?

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 27, 2017, 12:22:14 AM
I've found it on Spotify. Quite a nice CD, although I still think I like earlier stuff more. But as I thought, the piece was not on the disc - in fact, the CD was scored for 2 harpsichords.

Yes, I just found out. This I own and will give a listen to day, and then I can tell you.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 27, 2017, 12:22:14 AM

Yes, that's right. Have just listened to it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 27, 2017, 08:11:00 AM
Which suite is it?

It is the second track of her second cd, a courante in D

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 27, 2017, 09:37:11 AM
It is the second track of her second cd, a courante in D
Ok. This is a surefire signal that I should check this disc out, since it sounds quite nice. Thanks!

Edit: Wait, what do you mean by second CD? I didn't know that she had multiple Chambonnieres CD's...?
I hope that the audio quality in the CD sounds much better than the youtube, although I do like the sound of this harpsichord.

Mandryka

The first CD

The second CD

the audio quality of the second is excellent; the performances have plenty of fluidity and forward motion, wide awake, often extrovert, always lively, I'm glad to have it.

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 27, 2017, 03:12:58 PM
Nor did I know her first CD. Where did you find it?

I don't know, I've had it for years, if you want I'll upload it.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 26, 2017, 09:25:05 AM
[asin]B00015EL7M[/asin]

A great, no, a fantastic performance!  :)

Q

Yes I agree this is outstanding.

Mandryka

I'd be interested to know what people think of Jane Chapman's Chambonnières.

GrowlingGecko

Can anybody point me towards where Philip Corner's detailed harmonic analysis of Mysterious Barricades is as I have been unable to find it?