Cyclomania ** Symphonies **

Started by Karl Henning, January 23, 2012, 09:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenophanes

I was surprised I have quite a number of sets, especially if I count those who only composed 1 symphony. I will have to get a complete set of Haydn symphonies. 

Boyce, 2, Faerber, Mallon

Mozart, 1, Pinnock

Beethoven, 4, Ansermet, Suitner, Karajan 1962, Leibowitz

Schumann, 3, Wit, Szell, Haitink

Mendelssohn, 1, Dohnanyi

Bizet, 1, Beecham

Lalo, 1, Beecham

Berwald, 1, Kamu

Weber, 1, Georgiadis

Franck, 2, Monteux, Akiyama (Can one have a "set" of a single symphony?)

Brahms, 1, Walter

Bruckner, 1, Tintner

Tchaikovsky, 1, Jansons

Mahler, 1, Chailly

Sibelius, 1, Maazel VPO

Rachmaninoff, 1, Ormandy

Elgar, 1, Downes/Hurst (on Naxos. Maybe this doesn't count as a set!)

Willson, 1, Stromberg

Weill, 1, Alsop

Karl Henning

Apart from mathematically, though — a single element does not a *set* make. Right? : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

trung224

I am a newbie with GMG forum. I don't have so much boxset
   Beethoven: Karajan 62, Klemperer EMI, Szell, Furtwangler (several boxset from EMI, Music and Arts, Tahra), Toscanini, Bohm, Gardiner, Barenboim,Jochum, Ansermet, Abbado
   Brahms: Furtwangler (EMI, Music and Arts), Klemperer, Bruno Walter 60s, Jochum DG, Karajan 60, Szell, Giulini (EMI) Giulini( DG Vienna), Celibidache EMI, Dorati, Rattle, Sanderling.
   Mozart: only the late symphonies boxset von Bohm, Szell, Klemperer, Mackerras, Gardiner
   Haydn: not the complete boxset,
  Schubert: Bohm, Karajan, Abbado, Wand
   Schumann: Szell, Sawalisch, Gardiner, Karajan, Bernstein
   Tchaikovsky: Jansons, New Brilliant's boxset. and late symphonies from Mravinsky, Karajan, Monteux, Fricsay
   Bruckner: Jochum (DG and EMI), Karajan (DG andEMI), Celibidache,Furtwangler (not complete)
   Mahler: EMI, DG complete edition,Brilliant box, Bernstein,Kubelik.
   Sibelius: Maazel, Barbirolli, Sanderling, Sergerstam, Bernstein  Sony
   Shostakovich: Barshai, Mravinsky (Meloyia, not complete)
   Dvorak: Kerstesz, Kubelik
   Mendelssohn: Flor, Karajan
   Rachmaninov: Jansons
   Borodin: Rozhdestvensky
   Nielsen: Blomstedt (EMI)
   Martinu: Jaarvi
   Berwald: Daugaard
   Scriabin: Muti

The new erato

Re cycles:

Can this be the Boulez cycle - boxed at last:

[asin]B004NO5HLG[/asin]

??

Todd

Quote from: The new erato on January 27, 2012, 06:14:46 AMCan this be the Boulez cycle - boxed at last:

I certainly hope so.  I haven't bought a new Mahler cycle in almost two months!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

I'm seriously surprised that DG hasn't put Boulez's Debussy and Ravel recordings in a box set yet. Seems like a logical set to me. :-\

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2012, 07:05:35 AM
I'm seriously surprised that DG hasn't put Boulez's Debussy and Ravel recordings in a box set yet. Seems like a logical set to me. :-\
It's Debussy year. There will be no lack of Debussy sets, from Boulez as well as from others. I'm passing on the current Naxos set, waiting to evaluate what appears....I'm hoping for some good sets of the songs.

kishnevi

Quote from: The new erato on January 27, 2012, 06:14:46 AM
Re cycles:

Can this be the Boulez cycle - boxed at last:

[asin]B004NO5HLG[/asin]

??

MMMMM,  something tells me this a placeholder, and God alone knows what's on it.
Audio CD (December 31, 2020)
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Import
Label: Roc-A-Fella
ASIN: B004NO5HLG

AmazonUK has been listing it for a little while, with a price that's sort of expensive for one CD but very cheap for a whole set, if that's what it is--and no indication of what's on it.  Last time I looked ( a couple of weeks ago) not only did Presto and MDT have no listing for it, but neither did DG's own website.

However, we can assume that we won't actually need to wait almost nine years to find out.

Cato

Quote from: trung224 on January 27, 2012, 06:12:12 AM
   I am a newbie with GMG forum. I don't have so much boxset

Beethoven: Karajan 62, Klemperer EMI, Szell, Furtwangler (several boxset from EMI, Music and Arts, Tahra), Toscanini, Bohm, Gardiner, Barenboim,Jochum, Ansermet, Abbado
   Brahms: Furtwangler (EMI, Music and Arts), Klemperer, Bruno Walter 60s, Jochum DG, Karajan 60, Szell, Giulini (EMI) Giulini( DG Vienna), Celibidache EMI, Dorati, Rattle, Sanderling.
  Schubert: Bohm, Karajan, Abbado, Wand
   Schumann: Szell, Sawalisch, Gardiner, Karajan, Bernstein
   Tchaikovsky: Jansons, New Brilliant's boxset. and late symphonies from Mravinsky, Karajan, Monteux, Fricsay
   Bruckner: Jochum (DG and EMI), Karajan (DG andEMI), Celibidache,Furtwangler (not complete)
   Mahler: EMI, DG complete edition,Brilliant box, Bernstein,Kubelik.
   Sibelius: Maazel, Barbirolli, Sanderling, Sergerstam, Bernstein  Sony
   Dvorak: Kerstesz, Kubelik

Greetings!

Which box sets - per composer - do you prefer the most?

Hören Sie, z.B. am liebsten Sibelius/Segerstam oder Sibelius/Maazel oder...?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

trung224

With  one composer I always really like 3-4 box sets, because i like the extreme interpretation and sound. For example, I love Karajan, Jochum, Furtwaengler and Celibidache box but I hate the so so interpretation of Solti or Barenboim (early with CSO).
   With Beethoven, I love the box sets from Karajan 60, Klemperer, Furtwangler (Music and Arts), Szell.
  With Brahms, my preference is Giulini (Vienna), Furtwangler (Music and Arts), and sometimes Celibidache (EMI)
  With Tchaikovsky 4-6 , I prefer Mravinsky and Monteux

Xenophanes

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 03:19:12 AM
Apart from mathematically, though — a single element does not a *set* make. Right? : )

That's a matter of definition and usage. But I was a little tongue in cheek there, as I like to point out that there are ambiguities at the fringes of classification schemes, which Aristotle pointed out long ago.

Some of my sets are not in a single box, either, but on several separate records or CDs or LPs with the same performers, notably the Beethoven symphonies with Ansermet, which I have complete both on LPs and CDs, and Leibowitz, which takes several CDs. Also, the Berwald and Schuman Symphonies on Naxos are on separate CDs. Then I slipped in the Naxos Elgar Symphonies on 2 separate CDs with two different conductors but the same orchestra.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Xenophanes on January 29, 2012, 04:16:22 PM
That's a matter of definition and usage. But I was a little tongue in cheek there, as I like to point out that there are ambiguities at the fringes of classification schemes, which Aristotle pointed out long ago.

Very good.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: chung on January 25, 2012, 07:05:07 PMBALAKIREV: Golovschin, Svetlanov '90s

RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Anichanov, Butt
Interesting. Golovschin was actually my introduction to Rachmaninov (reissue on Point Classics). I must return to them again, particularly as the Ashkenazy set has lost its lustre for me (Prev and Svet are in my sights for this).

I wasn't aware of a Rimsky cycle by Anichanov, must look out for it.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2012, 07:52:11 PM
Rimsky-Korsakov - Jarvi, Svetlanov
If you've a spare couple of dollars, you should try Kitajenko on Chandos. He is my favourite in 1, and his Antar is fine. The "extras" are less well played, but handy I suppose if you haven't collected them.

MishaK

I'm not much of a cycle collector. Here's what I have. Favorites indicates with asterisk.

Beethoven: Karajan '63, Barenboim*, Toscanini (vinyl), Solti II, Cluytens, Furtwängler, Haitink/LSO, partial cycles by Schuricht, Kubelik, and Antonini*.

Berlioz: Davis

Brahms: Abbado I* (vinyl) & II (CD), Barenboim*, Dohnanyi I*, Karajan 70s, Levine I, Solti, Rattle, Furtwängler, Toscanini, Haitink/BSO, van Beinum, Jochum, Suitner, Wand*.

Bruckner: Barenboim I* (vinyl & CD) & II, Haitink, Wand*. Thinking of adding Inbal and Skrowaczewski.

Debussy: Martinon.

Dvorak: Kubelik.

Haydn: partial cycles by Dorati and Kuijken*.

Mahler: Kubelik*, Solti, DG's complete Mahler anniversary edition.

Martucci: Avalos.

Mendelssohn: Karajan.

Schmidt: N. Järvi.

Schumann: Barenboim I & II*, Haitink, Kubelik/BPO.

Scriabin: Muti.

Shostakovich: Barshai.

Sibelius: Davis II.

Strauss: Kempe

Tchaikovsky: Muti.

Vaughan Williams: Boult I*, Haitink.

Webern: Boulez.

I think that's it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on January 23, 2012, 09:48:42 AM
Whose complete symphony cycles do you have the most of, and how many?

I'm definitely a marginal player here, but I'll start off:

Shostakovich, 3: Maksim Dmitriyevich; Kondrashin; Haitink

Vaughan Williams, 3: Haitink; Handley; Thomson

Prokofiev, 3: Ozawa; Martinon; Järvi

Sibelius, 4: Maazel/Wiener; Blomstedt/SFSO; Berglund/Helsinki; Lenny/NY Phil

Nielsen, 3: Blomstedt/SFSO; Thomson; Schmidt

Lord 'a' mercy, but I'm going to make it five Sibelius cycles, as I found the 5-CD Pittsburgh Symphony box for $17 including shipping . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

BEETHOVEN - The Symphonies - Gardiner, Symphonie Revolutionnaire et Romantique  5XCD
                   - The Symphonies - Bohm, Vienna Philharmonic  LP box
                   - The Symphonies - von Karajan, BPO  LP box (1960's)

SCHUBERT - The Symphonies - Bruggen, Orchestra of the 18th Century 4XCD

BORODIN - Complete Orchstral Music - Tjeknavorian, National Philharmonic Orchestra  LP box

those are the only complete ones I have
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

classicalgeek

Here my major symphony cycles - nearly all in digital format, from CDs ripped and sold, or downloads from a variety ;) of sources.  Obviously I haven't listened to every symphony from every cycle, but favorites from what I have heard are in blue.

EDIT: The asterisks indicate 'near-cycles' - I couldn't not include Bruckner/Celibidache or Mahler/Levine, among others!

Bax [3]: Handley, Lloyd-Jones, Thomson

Beethoven [59]: Abbado I/Berlin PO, Abbado II/Vienna PO, Ansermet, Asahina, Barenboim, Bernstein I/NY Phil, Bernstein II/Vienna PO, Blomstedt, Böhm, Cluytens, Colin Davis, Dohnanyi, Furtwängler, Gardiner,*Giulini/La Scala, Goodman/Huggett, Haitink II/Concertgebouw, Haitink III/London SO, Harnoncourt, Herreweghe, Hogwood, Immerseel, Jochum I [DG], Jochum III/Concertgebouw [Philips], Karajan I/Philharmonia 1950s, Karajan II/Berlin PO 1960s, Karajan III/Berlin PO 1970s, Karajan IV/Berlin PO 1980s, Kegel, Klemperer, Kletzki, Konwitschny, Krips, Kubelik, Leibowitz, Maazel, Mackerras I/Liverpool, Mackerras II/Scottish CO, Mengelberg, Norrington I/London Classical Players, Norrington II/Stuttgart, Ormandy, Pletnev, Rattle, Royal Philharmonic/various conductors, Sawallisch, Scherchen, Schuricht, Solti I/Chicago 1970s, Steinberg, Szell, Toscanini I/1939, Toscanini II/1949-1952, Tremblay, Vänskä, Walter II/Columbia Symphony, Wand, Weingartner, Weller, Zinman

Brahms [37]: Abbado, Barenboim, Bernstein I/NYPO, Bernstein II/Vienna PO, Böhm, Boult II/1970s, Celibidache/Munich, d'Avalos, Dohnanyi I/Cleveland, Furtwägler, Gardiner, Giulini/Philharmonia 1960s, Haitink I/Concertgebouw, Haitink II/London SO, Harnoncourt, Jochum I [DG], Kertesz, Klemperer, Levine I/Chicago, Mackerras, Masur, Muti, Rattle, Rickenbacher, K. Sanderling I/Dresden, K. Sanderling II/Berlin SO, Sawallisch I/Vienna SO, Schmidt-Isserstedt, Solti, Svetlanov, Szell, Toscanini I/NBC Symphony, Toscanini II/Philharmonia, van Beinum, Walter I/NY Phil, Walter II/Columbia Symphony, Wand

Bruckner [16½]: Asahina I/various orchestras, Asahina II/Osaka, Barenboim II/Berlin, *Celibidache/Munich, Chailly, Haitink, Inbal, Jochum I [DG], Jochum II/Dresden [EMI], Karajan, Maazel, Masur, Paternostro, Skrowaczewski, Solti, Tintner, Wand/Cologne Radio

Dvorak [8]: Anguelov, Andrew Davis, Järvi, Kertesz, Kubelik, Neumann II/1980s, Rowicki, Suitner

Elgar [10]: Barbirolli, Barenboim, Andrew Davis, Colin Davis, Elder, Handley, Menuhin, Sinaisky/BBC Phil (from radio broadcasts), Sinopoli, Slatkin

Haydn [2]: Dorati, Fischer

Mahler [23½]: Abbado, Abravanel, Bernstein I [Sony], Bernstein II [DG], Bertini, Boulez, Chailly, de Waart, Haitink, Inbal, Kubelik [DG], *Kubelik [Audite], *Levine, Maazel I/Vienna PO, Maazel II/Bavarian Radio (from radio broadcasts), Neumann, Ozawa, Rattle, Sinopoli, Solti, Svetlanov, Tabakov, Tennstedt, Tilson Thomas

Martinu [3]: Järvi, Neumann, Thomson

Mendelssohn [6]: Abbado, Ashkenazy, Flor, Karajan, Masur, Sawallisch

Mozart [8]: Arigoni, Böhm, Hogwood, Leinsdorf, Mackerras, Marriner, Pinnock, Tate

Nielsen [6]: Berglund, Blomstedt I/Danish Radio, Blomstedt II/San Francisco, Kuchar, Schmidt, Schonwandt

Prokofiev [6]: Gergiev, Järvi, Martinon, Ozawa, Rostropovich, Weller

Rachmaninov [13]: Ashkenazy I/Concertgebouw, Ashkenazy II/Sydney, de Waart, Gergiev/London (from radio broadcasts), Jansons, Maazel, Ormandy, Otaka, Previn, K. Sanderling, Slatkin, Svetlanov I (from LP transcriptions), Svetlanov II [Canyon Classics]

Schubert [13]: Abbado, Blomstedt, Brüggen, Goodman, Harnoncourt, Karajan, Kertesz, Maag, Marriner, Menuhin [EMI], Muti, Suitner, Wand

Schumann [24]: Barenboim II/Berlin, Bernstein II/Vienna PO, Chailly, Dohnanyi, Gardiner, Haitink, Herreweghe, Karajan, Konwitschny, Kubelik I/Berlin PO, Kubelik II/Bavarian Radio, Levine I/Philadelphia, Marriner, Masur, Mehta, Muti II/Vienna PO, Rozhdestvensky, Sawallisch I/Dresden, Sinopoli, Solti, Szell, Vonk, Zinman I/Baltimore, Zinman II/Zurich

Scriabin [5]: Ashkenazy, Golovanov, Inbal, Muti, Svetlanov

Shostakovich [11]: Barshai, Haitink, Inbal, Jansons, Järvi [Chandos and DG], Kitajenko, Kondrashin, Rostropovich, Rozhdestvensky, Maxim Shostakovich, Slovak

Sibelius [19]: Ashkenazy I/Philharmonia, Barbirolli, Berglund II/Helsinki, Bernstein, Blomstedt, Colin Davis I/Boston, Colin Davis II/London [RCA], Collins, Gibson, Järvi II/Gothenburg, Maazel I/Vienna PO, Maazel II/Pittsburgh, Oramo, Rattle, Rozhdestvensky, Sakari, K. Sanderling, Saraste, Watanabe

Tchaikovsky [18]: Abbado, Abravanel, Bernstein, Caetani, Dorati, Haitink, Jansons, Karajan, Maazel, Marriner, Masur, Muti, Noseda (from radio broadcasts), Pletnev, Rostropovich, Rozhdestvensky, Svetlanov [Canyon Classics], Temirkanov

Vaughan Williams [5]: Boult II [EMI], Haitink, Handley, Previn, Slatkin

I also have a bunch of other cycles with just one complete commercial recording: Atterberg, Malipiero, Milhaud, Moyzes, Parry, Stanford, Villa-Lobos, Wellesz, and so on...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Papy Oli

and it's only the "Major" ones....  ;D
Olivier

Lisztianwagner

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg