Mid-Week Poll of your listening thread behavior

Started by mc ukrneal, February 08, 2012, 05:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you usually post on the Listening thread?

I post and then I listen.
0 (0%)
I start the piece and then I post right.
1 (4.5%)
I listen for a while (but not to the end) and then post.
7 (31.8%)
I listen all the way through and then, when I am done, I post.
2 (9.1%)
I listen and post later in the day.
4 (18.2%)
I don't really pay attention, but I post while the piece is playing.
2 (9.1%)
We have a listening thread? What rock have I been under?
1 (4.5%)
I don't like posting in the listening thread.
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

mc ukrneal

I love discussing our musical habits. Curious how you post on the listening thread when you listen to something. Interested in your typical behavior - I am sure most of us have done it several different ways.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

chasmaniac

I post from work, where I can't listen, so it's all post facto for me.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

North Star

I certainly don't post before listening, unless I'm listening to an album or a playlist, and the work is coming up soon. Mostly I post if I'm listening at the same time, but I can post even days after. And I don't post always.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

DavidW

I'm 3/4 I don't like posting on the listening thread, 1/4 post later in the day after I listen (sometimes later in the week).

It's just too much to follow that thread.  A parade of covers from people who treat it like twitter.  If I post anything I don't even know if anybody replied to me because it's immediately buried in the avalanche of posts.

I would prefer it if the listening thread was just highlights of the week's listening instead of what you're doing at the very minute.  It would be concise, much more interesting and enjoyable and easy to follow. :)

not edward

90% of my posts are post facto; often they're made during brain-reboot breaks at work.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

mahler10th

I post always in the process of listening.  Which means I am not 'listening' when I post, but am before and after the post.  I agree that in many ways it is pointless simply putting up a cover and a few words.  I think Harry is the Daddy for this Thread, as he takes the time to explain his liking for things, and what it is in the music that makes him tick.  Most (not all) of the rest of us, including my very fine self, just shot-post a picture and a few words resulting in what DavidW rightly calls
Quote"...A parade of covers from people who treat it like twitter..."
Sad, innit?

Todd

Almost always after I listen.  Sometimes right after, sometimes later in the day. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lethevich

It should be like Twitter, I think - a fertile and restless ground breeding further discussion elsewhere, where everything is new and the old is swiftly forgotten :) It makes it easy for people to drop in and out of, and doesn't matter whether they want to keep up or not.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

I hardly post there just for the sake of posting. Sometimes it's "thread duty"; other times, it's to mark a first listen, though not for every first run, or simply because I feel like putting down a thought or two about the piece, since I don't maintain a log offline. And when I do post, the piece will be playing.
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mahler10th

I can name more than two composers I have been 'introduced' to in the Listening Thread.  The two in particular have become close to me, Rautavaara and Atterberg.  There are many more, but they are the closest ones.  So regardless of any griping I may be guilty of, this is still my most visited thread and still damned interesting whichever way I look at it.  We couldn't do without it.  This thread has even changed my opinions on certain works and performances - the sometimes controversial goners, missed by me (MForever and Scarpia), were always helpful if not incisive in this regard.  I miss the good old ding-dongs, haven't had one for a while... >:D

springrite

Either de facto or preemptive, but never during.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

nesf

I listen for a while to make sure I'm actually in the mood for a piece and then post (far too often).
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

Conor71

I listen for a little while then make a post - a lot of the time I am posting about something I have listened to several times before!.
I agree Harry is the king of this thread - his posts always make for interesting reading. I would love to add a bit more to my posts but I dont really have the literary skills or the knowledge so its often just a twitter style post for me :)

nesf

Quote from: Scots John on February 08, 2012, 07:15:10 AM
I can name more than two composers I have been 'introduced' to in the Listening Thread.

Actually, on this, it's a) made me curious about composers I'd never listened to and b) given me an idea what some posters listen to and if there is a cross section between them and I, I'm made quite curious as to what they're also listening to. I also like getting feedback and advice based on what I've been listening to and being able to ask questions about a particular album that I see appearing.  The Twitter feed is both a boon and a curse, if it was just your 3 top albums of the week then you'd miss out on a lot of decent but not quite top end albums and composers unless people were deliberately not picking their top 3 each week. *

*Edit: I still think a "Top 3 Albums" thread would be a good read. Just different purposes for me.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

eyeresist

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2012, 06:10:10 AMIt's just too much to follow that thread.  A parade of covers from people who treat it like twitter.

This. The only way to keep up with the thread is to constantly refresh the window throughout the day, and I have other things to do. I've posted a couple of times when something I'm listening to has particularly excited me, but generally I don't think everyone has to know the minutiae of my listening habits. If I have an interesting listening experience, I may post about it in the thread of the composer concerned.

P.S. the problem with cover shots is that I browse with images turned off. If posters can't be bothered to type the name of what they're listening to (which I think would be easier than hunting down the Amazon link), I usually can't be bothered clicking "Show picture".

DavidW

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on February 08, 2012, 06:53:37 AM
I don't see what the objection is to cover shots. 

I don't have any objection to cover shots, I have an objection to hundreds of them over a few days. :D

It's just a case of overload.  I either avoid the thread or I just look at the latest page with generous use of the page down key.  Does anyone actually read and follow that thread?

Que

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2012, 08:44:27 PM
I don't have any objection to cover shots, I have an objection to hundreds of them over a few days. :D

It's just a case of overload.  I either avoid the thread or I just look at the latest page with generous use of the page down key.  Does anyone actually read and follow that thread?

I do, or at least I quickly browse through new posts mostly once a day. It provides a lot of interesting information actually: insights in other members' tastes and listening habits, and new or unknown interesting recordings pass by. It also provides opportunity to engage in discussions that can be followed up in specific topic threads.

Indeed it is, as others said, our own GMG equivalent of "Twitter" and has as such an important social/community function too. It could be regarded as the more successful version of the "The Classical Chat Thread" you yourself once started... 8)

Parade of images? I personally like it better that the continuous parade of silly polls (this one not included)! 0:)

Q

mc ukrneal

Some very interesting comments! It has always been interesting how everyone uses the thread differently.

I don't know if twitter style or more detailed approach is better, rather they are just different. Perhaps as an experiment it would be interesting to see if there is interest in a thread that takes more time with each post and provides more listening detail. That could be very interesting, though it would need to differentiate itself drom the current listening thread.

I know for myself, I started adding a text description of everything I listen to in my posts (piece/composer/main participants). This is not because I knew others might be reading without pictures, but rather, as I went back and looked at old posts, many pictures were removed or no longer available. THus, the only way to know which picture had been posted was if it was also written in text. So I now make this a habit just in case the pictures get deleted/moved/etc. This way the record is still there. But now knowing that others don't look at pictures, I will try to make sure I do it in other threads as well.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!