Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 2091741 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15780 on: May 01, 2020, 11:26:49 AM »
Maybe think about the Abbado Mahler at Lucerne. I'm no Mahlerian, but when those recordings came out a mate of mine reviewed them for the BBC and thought they were consistently outstanding, and I'm sure he preferred them to the earlier ones.  There was a special relation between Abaddo and the Lucerne orchestra, which in any case was a scratch orchestra with some top players in it. They loved him, and were thrilled to have him there after a difficult time with cancer.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:32:31 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #15781 on: May 01, 2020, 11:30:21 AM »
Maybe think about the Abbado Mahler at Lucerne. I'm no Mahlerian, but when those recordings came out a mate of mine reviewed them for the BBC and thought they were consistently outstanding, and I'm sure he preferred them to the earlier ones.  There was a special relation between Abaddo and the Lucerne orchestra, which in any case was a scratch orchestra with some top players in it. They loved him, and were thrilled to have him there after a difficult time with cancer.

I'm interested in those, but I don't think they're available on CD, and I'm not really interested in collecting a video cycle on DVD at the moment (for one, because I don't have a DVD player). But especially with the way you describe, it sounds like something I would be interested in.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Bloch, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #15782 on: May 01, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »

That particular performance is on DVD/blu-ray and isn’t available on CD.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline hvbias

« Reply #15783 on: May 01, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
I'll give this request another try in this thread, anyone have suggestions for great CDs of Stanchinsky's piano music? I have Nikolai Fefilov's disc on Etcetera and some of those pieces are amazing. If I didn't know Rachmaninoff as well as I do, blind I would think some of them are his pieces. Intended as a compliment, maybe someone out there would take this as an insult  :laugh:

Of course the more obvious comparison that is made is to Scriabin.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #15784 on: May 02, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
I'll give this request another try in this thread, anyone have suggestions for great CDs of Stanchinsky's piano music? I have Nikolai Fefilov's disc on Etcetera and some of those pieces are amazing. If I didn't know Rachmaninoff as well as I do, blind I would think some of them are his pieces. Intended as a compliment, maybe someone out there would take this as an insult  :laugh:

Of course the more obvious comparison that is made is to Scriabin.

I've been looking at this recent release:

Samples here: https://grandpianorecords.com/Album/AlbumDetails/GP766

Sounds good to me.

Offline hvbias

« Reply #15785 on: May 02, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
I've been looking at this recent release:

Samples here: https://grandpianorecords.com/Album/AlbumDetails/GP766

Sounds good to me.

Will listen to it tonight, it looks like she is eventually going to record it all.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #15786 on: May 22, 2020, 12:45:56 AM »

This incarnation of Schnabel's Beethoven sonatas is currently available for an absolute steal of a deal. Any opinions on the transfers, packaging, etc?

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #15787 on: May 22, 2020, 04:31:33 AM »

This incarnation of Schnabel's Beethoven sonatas is currently available for an absolute steal of a deal. Any opinions on the transfers, packaging, etc?

I owned it some time ago but culled it, because it is too filtered if not quite as bad as the first EMI CD release. It was probably George and/or Que, who advised me to acquire the Naxos set, which is much better remastered with just about the right filtering to my taste, and which I have been generally satisfied with. I have not heard the Pearl set. Rumors say that it is as well as unfiltered and very noisy -  so not my cup of tea.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #15788 on: May 22, 2020, 05:19:02 AM »
The Warner release (remastered 2016) is less filtered than the original EMI CD release, but also more noisy. Haven't purchased it. I think the piano tone is less natural than on the Naxos release. Samples here:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8151562--beethoven-the-complete-piano-sonatas
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #15789 on: May 22, 2020, 05:44:30 AM »
I have never heard the EMI and only a sonata or two from the cheapo TIM/Documents/whatever, but Naxos and Pearl. The latter is very noisy (on purpose to keep also most of the sound) but I also prefer the Naxos as the best compromise.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #15790 on: May 23, 2020, 05:21:43 AM »
Well I ordered the Documents set for 15 bucks. I couldn't find any samples online, but if I hate it I'm only out 15 bucks I guess. Sounds like Naxos is probably the way to go, but also the most expensive as it entails buying them all one at a time. The Pearl set is obscenely expensive and totally out of the running.