Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on August 25, 2020, 06:30:29 PM

Yesterday, whilst driving, I heard part of a performance of 18/5 unlike any I've heard.  I finally got around to checking what it was on the radio station's playlist, and it is from the Eybler Quartet.

When they came out amw and I exchanged ideas I think, and I recall we both felt that what they do is interesting. There's some basis in their approach, it was in the booklets, but I can't remember the details.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on August 26, 2020, 06:25:14 AM
They're very good. Kind of like the Budapest Quartet's 1951-2 or 1929-41 sets, but on period instruments, and with better intonation.

Ah yes, just saw that.

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

I came upon this and wonder if anyone heard it ?

betterthanfine

JBS

Quote from: André on August 30, 2020, 11:46:47 AM

It's in the mail to me. Given the current state of the US mail, that means I should have it sometime in September.
Quote from: betterthanfine on August 30, 2020, 01:21:20 PM
^That's not out yet, is it?
Official release date was two days ago.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Quote from: JBS on August 30, 2020, 01:41:41 PM
It's in the mail to me. Given the current state of the US mail, that means I should have it sometime in September.Official release date was two days ago.

Well, keep us posted, then !!

:)

JBS

Quote from: André on August 30, 2020, 03:52:57 PM
Well, keep us posted, then !!

:)

I will. But given the state of our mail, I have no idea of when. Arkivmusic sent that and the Werner Bach box on the same day. One of them has (per tracking) reached Florida and has a decent chance of landing on Tuesday. The other is marked "in transit" from Pennsylvania, meaning there's no telling when it will show up, and I have no way of knowing which is the one that will, fingers crossed, come Tuesday until it actually gets into my mail box.  The Gould Bach box has been marked "in transit" from Pennsylvania since August 20.  Delenda est Trump!

Madiel

I think you'll find the rest of the world's mail services aren't that hot right now either, different governments notwithstanding.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on August 30, 2020, 06:07:16 PM
I think you'll find the rest of the world's mail services aren't that hot right now either, different governments notwithstanding.

But I would guess those countries don't have a Postmaster General (equivalent) who seems intent on making things worse.

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on August 30, 2020, 08:08:27 PM
But I would guess those countries don't have a Postmaster General (equivalent) who seems intent on making things worse.

Well... around here it's never been a political issue in the same sense, but then around here voting is compulsory and there's no reason to try to make it difficult... and let's not tread on the territory of another thread any further.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Turned out that in today's round of Post Office roulette, this landed, and not the one I was expecting (Gielen's Beethoven set). Just put it into the player, will report later in the Listening thread.

Florestan

That looks right up my alley, thanks for posting it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

I look forward to reading your reports, gentlemen !

Mandryka

(There's a relation between Feldman and Sciarrino I think.)

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on September 01, 2020, 12:06:38 AM

(There's a relation between Feldman and Sciarrino I think.)

Very interesting. Are there any pieces you think especially illustrate this connection?

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 01, 2020, 02:04:12 AM
Very interesting. Are there any pieces you think especially illustrate this connection?

I don't know for sure yet. I was struck by it when listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/v/XtYADRz2VHs

staxomega

Quatuor Danois in Debussy and Ravel's String Quartets - anyone have any thoughts? I can't find a place to stream/sample this. Thanks.

vers la flamme

Thoughts? I know absolutely nothing of the composer except that he's a major name in early Baroque (or would it be late Renaissance?) keyboard music, but this is going for very cheap.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 13, 2020, 04:22:19 AM

Thoughts? I know absolutely nothing of the composer except that he's a major name in early Baroque (or would it be late Renaissance?) keyboard music, but this is going for very cheap.
Lively performances, with foot tapping, swinging rhythms. Fun. See if you can hear Vartolo -- that's my advice.