Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadko

Quote from: karlhenning on February 06, 2012, 10:41:30 AM
But that Amazon page says "Number of Discs: 1."

Don't know about this one, but the number given on Amazon is often wrong, a set often is listed as "1 disk".

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sadko on February 06, 2012, 10:46:25 AM
Don't know about this one, but the number given on Amazon is often wrong, a set often is listed as "1 disk".
Yes. Looks like they got it wrong - http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//SB4K87744.htm
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on February 06, 2012, 10:41:30 AM
But that Amazon page says "Number of Discs: 1."
That is a not uncommon error on Amazon. Crossley would have to be very fleet-fingered to play the complete piano music in 80 minutes  :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Quote from: Bulldog on February 06, 2012, 10:36:40 AMA lot more that $.30 cheaper.  An Amazon seller has it "new" for $14.27.

That's comparing the new box's pre-release price.  I'm betting various Amazon sellers will have a much lower price.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't go for $10-14, maybe even less.  The Kubelik Great Symphonies set from the same series has two sellers at around $10 for seven discs.  I can wait a week or so to find out.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

madaboutmahler

Looking for a new recording of both the Beethoven and Britten violin concertos, so this recording seems rather ideal... is it?

[asin]B002GJ3MRQ[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kishnevi

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 07, 2012, 11:54:05 AM
Looking for a new recording of both the Beethoven and Britten violin concertos, so this recording seems rather ideal... is it?

[asin]B002GJ3MRQ[/asin]

Modified yes, as to the Britten.
Modified because this was is (at the moment) my only recording of the Britten, but it certainly impressed me.  But because it's my only recording, I can't really say how to divide up the credit between Britten and Jansen.  (When the new recording from Hyperion lands, I might be able to give a more definite answer.)

The Beethoven is a nice entry into a field where alternatives are far from scarce.

marvinbrown

What is it with me and Scandinavian composers?? My last purchase was the complete set of Langgaard symphonies and recently I discovered a new composer, ALLAN PETTERSSON!

I spent the last 2 nights listening to Pettersson's 6th and 7th symphonies on youtube and have been hypnotized by the unrelenting darkness, the agony and pain of it all.  The brief tenderness that emerges  three quarters of the way through the 6th was a welcome gift after close to 40 minutes of torturous music!............... and I thought it couldn't get any worst than Richard Strauss' Elektra!!

I was planning on buying my first set of Haydn string quartets but now I desperately need a complete set of Pettersson's symphonies. Haydn will just have to wait.

There is only one complete set on the market and it's not cheap (the best I found it for was £70):

[asin]B000L42J7C[/asin]

So is it worth it or do I just stick to youtube??

marvin

jlaurson

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 08, 2012, 03:09:20 AM
  What is it with me and Scandinavian composers?? My last purchase was the complete set of Langgaard symphonies and recently I discovered a new composer, ALLAN PETTERSSON!

I spent the last 2 nights listening to Pettersson's 6th and 7th symphonies on youtube and have been hypnotized by the unrelenting darkness, the agony and pain of it all.  The brief tenderness that emerges  three quarters of the way through the 6th was a welcome gift after close to 40 minutes of torturous music!............... and I thought it couldn't get any worst than Richard Strauss' Elektra!!

I was planning on buying my first set of Haydn string quartets but now I desperately need a complete set of Pettersson's symphonies. Haydn will just have to wait.

...is it worth it or do I just stick to youtube??

marvin

I have a colleague* who insists that "if you say 'Sibelius', you have to say 'Petterson'".
I don't quite agree; that's like saying "if you say 'Shostakovich', you have to say 'Tubin'"... but the point is and remains valid that the difference in perception between the two composer pairs should be much smaller if the merits of the music were the sole concern. In short: I can't recommend any composer over Haydn, simply because Haydn is, just after Bach, the sine-qua-non of music... but if you're in for a romantic Scandinavian composer, by all means: go ahead! It's terrific music and a very rewarding musical journey.

[* Could also be because the colleague is German and Sibelius has a post-WWII tradition of being underrated in Germany, thanks (but no thanks) to the narrow ideologue Adorno.]

Lethevich

There is a chance you might dislike the rest - many who enjoy 6-8 feel that way (they are less melodic). I would suggest checking bits of these two out, if you enjoy them I wholeheartedly recommend the set - it's excellent, and diverse in impulse if not mood.

http://www.youtube.com/v/t7rphzFKJCY http://www.youtube.com/v/aWAF9KG-L_s
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

The price has dropped at JPC: €50 (or 41 pounds). Whether you actually need all his symphonies is another question. Some will tell you to buy 6, 7 and 8 and forget the rest. Others (me, Lethe) love some of the later symphonies too. I particularly like 10, 11 and 16 (a saxophone concerto in all but name).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 08, 2012, 03:09:20 AM
. . . and recently I discovered a new composer, ALLAN PETTERSSON!

No hope for you, then, MarvinSome composers are best left undiscovered . . . .

; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: jlaurson on February 08, 2012, 03:21:42 AM
I have a colleague* who insists that "if you say 'Sibelius', you have to say 'Petterson'".

Well, I do call that not merely eccentric, but unbalanced.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

not edward

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 07, 2012, 05:22:07 PM
Modified because this was is (at the moment) my only recording of the Britten, but it certainly impressed me.  But because it's my only recording, I can't really say how to divide up the credit between Britten and Jansen.  (When the new recording from Hyperion lands, I might be able to give a more definite answer.)
I've not heard the Hyperion recording of the Britten (that's with Anthony Marwood, right?) but I don't think Jansen can match the classic Lubotsky/Britten recording--Lubotsky's big sound suits the solo part down to the ground, and I felt Jansen over-Romanticizes the finale, which I find more effective in a reading that eschews short-term drama in favour of emphasising the development and disintegration of the music.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

marvinbrown

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 08, 2012, 03:32:21 AM
The price has dropped at JPC: €50 (or 41 pounds). Whether you actually need all his symphonies is another question. Some will tell you to buy 6, 7 and 8 and forget the rest. Others (me, Lethe) love some of the later symphonies too. I particularly like 10, 11 and 16 (a saxophone concerto in all but name).

Sarge

Sarge  8) thanks for the heads up!!  I appreciate that!

marvin

marvinbrown

Quote from: Lethevich on February 08, 2012, 03:24:08 AM
There is a chance you might dislike the rest - many who enjoy 6-8 feel that way (they are less melodic). I would suggest checking bits of these two out, if you enjoy them I wholeheartedly recommend the set - it's excellent, and diverse in impulse if not mood.

http://www.youtube.com/v/t7rphzFKJCY http://www.youtube.com/v/aWAF9KG-L_s

Lethe  This music suites me fine. I have always had a "dark" side that needs nurturing! 

marvin

Lethevich

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 08, 2012, 06:16:34 AM
  Lethe  This music suites me fine. I have always had a "dark" side that needs nurturing! 

:) You won't regret it - the performances are all of a high level, and even in the ones that people have other preferences for, I find this is an aesthetic choice as much as an objective one (for example, the wiry, stark quality of the CPO 7th I find as compelling as the popular, somewhat Romantic Segerstam recording). I would love to hear your impressions on each piece one once you get around to them.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 07, 2012, 05:22:07 PM

The Beethoven is a nice entry into a field where alternatives are far from scarce.
Quote from: edward on February 08, 2012, 05:06:19 AM
I've not heard the Hyperion recording of the Britten (that's with Anthony Marwood, right?) but I don't think Jansen can match the classic Lubotsky/Britten recording--Lubotsky's big sound suits the solo part down to the ground, and I felt Jansen over-Romanticizes the finale, which I find more effective in a reading that eschews short-term drama in favour of emphasising the development and disintegration of the music.

Thanks for the feedback Jeffrey and Edward. 
Edward, The Lubotsky is the recording of the concerto I have in my collection so far. It certainly is excellent. Would this make a good second recording though? The Hyperion disc that you mention as well, Jeffrey, also looks very tempting. Although, I do want a new recording of the Beethoven as well. Maybe I'll try and get both in the future.... so much to buy!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 08, 2012, 07:59:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jeffrey and Edward. 
Edward, The Lubotsky is the recording of the concerto I have in my collection so far. It certainly is excellent. Would this make a good second recording though? The Hyperion disc that you mention as well, Jeffrey, also looks very tempting. Although, I do want a new recording of the Beethoven as well. Maybe I'll try and get both in the future.... so much to buy!

Daniel, I just don't understand why you don't buy the Britten Conducts Britten Decca box set? The box with all the orchestral works. It's got everything you need right in there.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 08, 2012, 08:07:31 AM
Daniel, I just don't understand why you don't buy the Britten Conducts Britten Decca box set? The box with all the orchestral works. It's got everything you need right in there.
Maybe I will in the future. I already own some of these recordings and they are excellent. There is just so much to buy!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

I'm considering more and more Shostakovich! I can't get enough! I will be considering another string quartet cycle, some chamber works recordings, and more orchestral music.