Peter Racine Fricker(1920-1990): Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, February 22, 2012, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omicron9

Neither orchestral or choral, but I've barely been able to stop listening to this new Naxos disk of his string quartets.  If you're a fan of oh, say, Bartok string quartets, you'll be all over this.  Highly recommended.

[asin]B01MXZ79PQ[/asin]
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

vandermolen

Quote from: Omicron9 on August 23, 2017, 07:16:56 AM
Neither orchestral or choral, but I've barely been able to stop listening to this new Naxos disk of his string quartets.  If you're a fan of oh, say, Bartok string quartets, you'll be all over this.  Highly recommended.

[asin]B01MXZ79PQ[/asin]
Am looking forward to receiving the symphonies on Lyrita soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Part of a post I made in the "Re Lyrita,thread;at the Art Music Forum:

"One of the cheques was for the cd of Fricker's The Vision of Judgement. After listening to the Lyrita set of the symphonies I couldn't resist it. I thought I might not enjoy it,though. I had an idea it might be a bit forbidding! On the contrary! I just had to listen to it again,all the way through. I was bowled over by just how approachable it was.....in a good way! Quite thrilling in places;and even quite;dare I say it,lyrical. It seemed like Fricker in a more "public",outgoing mode,than in the symphonies.. I found it a bit of a surprise after listening to them. I'd love to hear it in state of the art sound. I don't see why a record label like Chandos would be put off by it's sound world. A sonic spectacular in lush Chandos sound?!! Nothing to be afraid of,there,imho. But this is what we need from a label like Lyrita. Eventually,other labels may take heed;and there do seem to be a few,hopeful signs,that Chandos are getting a little more adventurous........maybe?!!"

And in a reply to vandermolen,here,today:

Yes,I was really surprised by what I heard! I actually,didn't buy the cd,when it came out,because I thought it would be like the symphonies!!! Not that I didn't like them! But the thought of a big,choral work in the same vein!! ??? ;D Dundonnell,at the Art Music Forum,in replying to my post  there (in the Re:Lyrita,thread) about the work,noted that,perhaps,ironically (or not?) the "public qualities" of the work led Hugh Wood to criticise the "consequential loss of individuality". And,I'm going to have to continue this in a Fricker thread,aren't I?!! ::) ;D

And my response to Dundonnell's reply (concerning Hugh Wood's criticism,of The Vision of Judgement) also,at the Art Music Forum:

Interesting! I'll have to listen again,really;but I can understand what Hugh Wood meant;and I suppose (maybe?) he's right? At the same time I found it a very impressive piece of music. I think that the more "populist" attributes of the work could actually make it more appealing to those who might not,normally,respond positively towards Fricker's usually more introspective,astringent demeanour. It's not his most individual work;and it's not the most original choral work I've heard by a British composer. But then again, I had to put it on again,as soon as I'd finished listening. And not merely because,I was trying to find some good in it!! So far,I think the money on that cd was money well spent! Another reason why Lyrita need to continue with such releases."

I think it's my favourite Fricker,now! I don't see why Chandos couldn't record this one? If they can release a new recording of Bliss' The Beatitudes. I was on the verge of buying the 0.99p Dutton 2 cd set of the works premiere (in their bargain box,yesterday!) when I saw your post about the work being so boring you had to turn (a radio broadcast of it,off). I also think it's allot easier to digest than some other choral works that Chandos have issued on cd. With all due respect,I think Chandos should stop being such big babies about something being a little astringent (or,"difficult",anyway!! ::) >:(

Biffo

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 27, 2018, 04:57:48 AM

I think it's my favourite Fricker,now! I don't see why Chandos couldn't record this one? If they can release a new recording of Bliss' The Beatitudes. I was on the verge of buying the 0.99p Dutton 2 cd set of the works premiere (in their bargain box,yesterday!) when I saw your post about the work being so boring you had to turn (a radio broadcast of it,off). I also think it's allot easier to digest than some other choral works that Chandos have issued on cd. With all due respect,I think Chandos should stop being such big babies about something being a little astringent (or,"difficult",anyway!! ::) >:(

I also found the Bliss Beatitudes boring but I didn't make it to the end of Fricker's Vision either. I bought the Lyrita CD after reading an enthusiastic review in a French(!) music magazine. Perhaps I will give it another try sometime but not soon.

I think Chandos is a national treasure and I can't see that they shy away from recording 'difficult' works. However, with their stalwarts Handley and Hickox gone I am not sure who will take up the baton for them; Sir Andrew Davis can't conduct everything.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 27, 2018, 06:13:35 AM
I also found the Bliss Beatitudes boring but I didn't make it to the end of Fricker's Vision either. I bought the Lyrita CD after reading an enthusiastic review in a French(!) music magazine. Perhaps I will give it another try sometime but not soon.

I think Chandos is a national treasure and I can't see that they shy away from recording 'difficult' works. However, with their stalwarts Handley and Hickox gone I am not sure who will take up the baton for them; Sir Andrew Davis can't conduct everything.

Yes, 'The Beatitudes' was a great let-down and I'm not surprised that Britten's 'War Requiem' replaced it for the opening of the new Coventry Cathedral. Morning Heroes by Bliss would have been a much better choice.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I didn't know this! Not that I've seen the film!

http://www.classical-music.com/review/colin-davis-conducts-frickers-vision-judgement-and-symphony-no-5

I probably won't be returning to the work either,for a while!! ::) ;D  Unfortunately,if you use  cordless headphones,allot,like I do;the sound on the Lyrita cd seems to blast your brains out,if I have the volume control at it's usual level. I turned it right down;only to have to turn it up again to hear the quiet bits,and then have my ears blown to smithereens,when there's a noisy bit! I had a similar problem with the Lyrita cd of the symphonies;albeit,not as bad!! . I have never had these problems with any other cd I have ever listened to! Interesting!! ::) ;D  One to listen to via speakers,perhaps?!! Did you actually buy the Lyrita cd,by the way,vandermolen? Or just listen via Youtube?!
I wish I could be more enthusiastic about Symphonies 4 & 5. No 1 is,without doubt,the best,followed by No 2,particularly the finale;which is the highlight! I quite like No3;which was the first Fricker I ever heard. But Fricker's symphonic output does seem a good example of the law of diminishing terms,in some ways......even if you like his music! :(

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 27, 2018, 01:40:42 PM
I didn't know this! Not that I've seen the film!

http://www.classical-music.com/review/colin-davis-conducts-frickers-vision-judgement-and-symphony-no-5

I probably won't be returning to the work either,for a while!! ::) ;D  Unfortunately,if you use  cordless headphones,allot,like I do;the sound on the Lyrita cd seems to blast your brains out,if I have the volume control at it's usual level. I turned it right down;only to have to turn it up again to hear the quiet bits,and then have my ears blown to smithereens,when there's a noisy bit! I had a similar problem with the Lyrita cd of the symphonies;albeit,not as bad!! . I have never had these problems with any other cd I have ever listened to! Interesting!! ::) ;D  One to listen to via speakers,perhaps?!! Did you actually buy the Lyrita cd,by the way,vandermolen? Or just listen via Youtube?!
I wish I could be more enthusiastic about Symphonies 4 & 5. No 1 is,without doubt,the best,followed by No 2,particularly the finale;which is the highlight! I quite like No3;which was the first Fricker I ever heard. But Fricker's symphonic output does seem a good example of the law of diminishing terms,in some ways......even if you like his music! :(
Thanks for the link cilgwyn. In answer to your question I've ordered the Lyrita CD as it's the only one available. Looks like I don't need to bother about listening to Symphony 5! I like Symphony 2, especially the compelling final section. I recall that No.1 was coupled with Martinu's 5th Symphony on a RCA Gold Seal LP.,

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2018, 12:15:48 PM
Yes, 'The Beatitudes' was a great let-down and I'm not surprised that Britten's 'War Requiem' replaced it for the opening of the new Coventry Cathedral. Morning Heroes by Bliss would have been a much better choice.

Britten' War Requiem was always intended for the opening, the Bliss was an additional work commissioned for the celebrations - here is a bit from The Guardian -

'But Britten's War Requiem was by no means the only commission in 1962; new works from Lennox Berkeley and Wilfrid Mellers, as well as Michael Tippett's second opera, King Priam, were first performed in the city, and there was also a cantata from the then Master of the Queen's Music, Arthur Bliss, which was composed specifically to be performed in the new cathedral.

Yet to Bliss's dismay the first performance of The Beatitudes was severely compromised by the extra rehearsals required for the War Requiem. Instead taking place in the space for which it was conceived, the premiere was moved to the hopelessly cramped space of the Coventry theatre, with a portable Hammond organ substituted for the state-of-the-art cathedral instrument Bliss had written for. Later the same year The Beatitudes was performed in a cathedral acoustic, as part of the Three Choirs festival in Gloucester, but until this performance, with Paul Daniel conducting the BBC Philharmonic and the Sheffield Philharmonic Choir as part of the 50th-anniversary festival, it had never been heard in Coventry Cathedral itself'

Seems a bit of an unfortunate start to the work's life but I wasn't gripped when I tried it on Spotify.

I have never got on with 'Morning Heroes' either though I know others rate it very highly - we discussed it in the Amazon.co.uk forum a few years ago.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 28, 2018, 01:11:51 AM
Britten' War Requiem was always intended for the opening, the Bliss was an additional work commissioned for the celebrations - here is a bit from The Guardian -
'But Britten's War Requiem was by no means the only commission in 1962; new works from Lennox Berkeley and Wilfrid Mellers, as well as Michael Tippett's second opera, King Priam, were first performed in the city, and there was also a cantata from the then Master of the Queen's Music, Arthur Bliss, which was composed specifically to be performed in the new cathedral.

I have never got on with 'Morning Heroes' either though I know others rate it very highly - we discussed it in the Amazon.co.uk forum a few years ago.

Yet to Bliss's dismay the first performance of The Beatitudes was severely compromised by the extra rehearsals required for the War Requiem. Instead taking place in the space for which it was conceived, the premiere was moved to the hopelessly cramped space of the Coventry theatre, with a portable Hammond organ substituted for the state-of-the-art cathedral instrument Bliss had written for. Later the same year The Beatitudes was performed in a cathedral acoustic, as part of the Three Choirs festival in Gloucester, but until this performance, with Paul Daniel conducting the BBC Philharmonic and the Sheffield Philharmonic Choir as part of the 50th-anniversary festival, it had never been heard in Coventry Cathedral itself'

Seems a bit of an unfortunate start to the work's life but I wasn't gripped when I tried it on Spotify.
Thanks for the clarification Biffo. The only recording I have of 'The Beatitudes' is the one of the 'Hammond organ performance' so maybe I need to hear the versions on Chandos or Lyrita. I ofen return to the music of Bliss, whose music I generally admire greatly. The Beatitudes and late Lady of Shalott ballet are two of the few I have not got on with.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2018, 01:39:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification Biffo. The only recording I have of 'The Beatitudes' is the one of the 'Hammond organ performance' so maybe I need to hear the versions on Chandos or Lyrita. I ofen return to the music of Bliss, whose music I generally admire greatly. The Beatitudes and late Lady of Shalott ballet are two of the few I have not got on with.

Somehow my posting got scrambled - I got one of those error screens - but you seem to have got the gist of it.

cilgwyn

I went online last night to buy a copy of Solti's,Decca recording,of Mozart's Die mozart die entführung aus dem serail (Krips,Don Giovanni is on,right now!) and came across a cheap copy of this (see below) from a very well known and somewhat ubiquitous purveyor of cd's,dvd's and books (named after a well known garden bird! No not,Blue tits!! ::) ;D). Anyway,whenever I have looked sellers always ask huge prices,and unless it's signed by the composer,or conductors,I'm not going to,and can't afford to buy it! This copy was £2.73,post free!! ??? Needless to say,I bought it immediately,as I am always interested in first recordings and have a fondness for old mono recordings! One of the symphonies,is the only commercial recording,as far as I know? Although,I may be wrong!! I know that vandermolen likes this cd;and I have recently started to enjoy the symphonies of Robert Simpson (count me in calyptorhyncus!). I wonder what the painting on the front is of,by the way? (I'll find out soon,of course!).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 04, 2018, 02:05:42 AM
I went online last night to buy a copy of Solti's,Decca recording,of Mozart's Die mozart die entführung aus dem serail (Krips,Don Giovanni is on,right now!) and came across a cheap copy of this (see below) from a very well known and somewhat ubiquitous purveyor of cd's,dvd's and books (named after a well known garden bird! No not,Blue tits!! ::) ;D). Anyway,whenever I have looked sellers always ask huge prices,and unless it's signed by the composer,or conductors,I'm not going to,and can't afford to buy it! This copy was £2.73,post free!! ??? Needless to say,I bought it immediately,as I am always interested in first recordings and have a fondness for old mono recordings! One of the symphonies,is the only commercial recording,as far as I know? Although,I may be wrong!! I know that vandermolen likes this cd;and I have recently started to enjoy the symphonies of Robert Simpson (count me in calyptorhyncus!). I wonder what the painting on the front is of,by the way? (I'll find out soon,of course!).

It's a fabulous CD cigwyn. I'm at work so can't check the pictire for you. Maybe Kew Gardens or a Lunatic Asylum. The Orr Symphony was the great discovery for me but Boult's performance of the Simpson symphony is unrivalled in my view and that Fricker symphony has a very exciting last few minutes. Sounds like a great bargain as well.

cilgwyn

Of course,Elgar worked in one (an asylum) didn't he?!! If I remember correctly?!
By the way,has the Louisville recording of Fricker's Symphony No 1,ever been released on cd? And is the recording worth tracking down?!! Remember,I like old (mono?) recordings! I did actually have the Lp once;but Fricker hadn't "clicked" with me,then.

cilgwyn

I'm sure I've got the Whitney recording on a cd-r,somewhere? I must go and look! It would be nice to have modern digital recordings of the first two,one day.......and third,perhaps? I must admit,the law of diminishing returns does seem to set in with the Fricker symphonies,however. The First is undoubtedly the best;and I know that a few members here,think it's the only one worth listening to. I do like the Second,though;and,like vandermolen,I find the last few minutes exciting,edge of the seat stuff! That said,I can understand why some people would regard the First as the finer work. The third was the first Fricker I ever liked,when I heard,and taped a Radio 3 broadcast,back in the mid 90's (?). The pounding motif is arresting,and I feel it has some good points! It might even be quite an impressive work? Yet,I have to admit that it just doesn't hold the same appeal for me,as the first two! My initial enthusiasm having dwindled,since I heard,and began to appreciate,the first two. I wouldn't mind hearing it in state of the art digital sound;in a really good performance,though. It has an angry defiance,which might benefit from current technology;and maybe,if the performance is a really committed one,I might respond?!! Then there's the Fourth,which,I'm afraid,just seems a big step down. And,even bigger!! I tried to follow it;but it just seemed to lack the focus of the earlier works. Maybe,a state of the art recording might help;but I'm not convinced! I actually switched off before the end!! :( As to the Fifth?!! The Lyrita recording is,undoubtedly,in mono sound;and not exactly great,at that. I think I got through a few bars,then switched off. Again,poor sound doesn't help;but the feeling of diminishing returns and a fire,gradually,dwindling down,as the symphonies progress!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 04, 2018, 08:50:12 AM
Of course,Elgar worked in one (an asylum) didn't he?!! If I remember correctly?!
By the way,has the Louisville recording of Fricker's Symphony No 1,ever been released on cd? And is the recording worth tracking down?!! Remember,I like old (mono?) recordings! I did actually have the Lp once;but Fricker hadn't "clicked" with me,then.

I don't think that it has ever been issued on CD and I'm not sure that Martinu's Symphony 5 has been either. However, its companion on CD Roy Harris's Symphony 5 has been. I think that it is the music of American composers which seem to have been reissued on CD. I also liked those old Louisville recordings.

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on October 05, 2018, 01:13:50 AM
I don't think that it has ever been issued on CD and I'm not sure that Martinu's Symphony 5 has been either. However, its companion on CD Roy Harris's Symphony 5 has been. I think that it is the music of American composers which seem to have been reissued on CD. I also liked those old Louisville recordings.
That's a shame! :(

This just came through the letterbox,today. £2.73,it cost me! Every time I've tried to buy this,sellers are asking  huge prices.....then,one night! Anyway,I snapped it up! I'm listening to Fricker's Second Symphony,right now. The opening movement. Not the kind of music I usually like;but for some reason this does appeal to me. I particularly like his slow movement's. Desolate,grey,soundscapes,that seem to curl into the corners of your mind. The faster music has a propulsive,visceral energy,that's often exciting;at least for me! I wish Chandos,Bis;or some other record label would give this music,new,state of the art recordings. The law of diminishing returns does seem to apply to Fricker's symphonies,though. I switched off No4,before the end;and No5,after only a few bars!! To be fair,the poor mono sound didn't help! The First is the finest. I like this one,too. The finale is quite thrilling,imho! The third was the first Fricker symphony I heard,back in the mid 90's;when I heard,and taped,a Radio 3,broadcast of it. I'm not so keen on that one now;but it has an angry defiance,which might just convince me,if a really first rate recording was released?! The mono sound seems to add atmosphere. In fact,with a bit of a boost,from the bass,it's pretty good to my ears.

I haven't got to the Simpson,or Orr,yet! I find myself warming to Simpson's muse,of late;which is interesting,considering his critics often describe his music as lacking in warmth. Oh,and Nielsen,without the tunes!! ??? ;D (I must stop humming the "Inextinguishable",and doing all the timpani,on the way to the shop!! ::) ??? ;D)

cilgwyn

I'm listening to the Orr symphony,now! Wow! I can see (hear,rather!) why vandermolen and Johan have been so impressed by this!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 06, 2018, 03:44:53 AM
I'm listening to the Orr symphony,now! Wow! I can see (hear,rather!) why vandermolen and Johan have been so impressed by this!
Yes, it's a very fine concise work which reminds me a bit of Carlos Chavez's 'Antigone' Symphony. Glad you enjoy it. I can't lay my hands on my copy at the moment so you can let me know where the cover image is of! I think you meant Fricker's Second Symphony unless you were referring to a different CD. Yes, it's funny how prices go up and down significantly for second hand CDs.

cilgwyn

I meant,Fricker's Second Symphony. Above post amended,now! I think it was the late night & the lager (only two pint cans,mind! :( ;D). Actually,it was part of the second movement (Andante) that went around in my head,afterwards. There's one rather mysterious bit,where the music gets very quiet,which really grabs my attention. You find yourself playing that bit,over and over in your head,like a,sort of,tape machine in your head!! I haven't heard the Chavez symphony you refer to,but it was great to finally hear the Orr in decent stereo sound,and I was impressed! Orr seems to be another neglected composer. I'm surprised a label,like Toccata,haven't turned their attention to his music?

I think Fricker's first two symphonies (particularly the first) are the pick of the bunch;but the third was the first Fricker work I ever really got to know,or enjoyed. That,thanks to a Radio 3 broadcast,around the mid 90's,which I taped. Around the same time,they broadcast Arnell's Piano Concerto,which I also taped. My enthusiasm towards the third has waned since then;especially since hearing his first two symphonies,his Vision of Judgement;and some other orchestral pieces. It does seem to have something going for it,though. I would like to hear it in a really state of the art,digital recording,of Bis,or Chandos,style,quality! I think it would benefit from that......and I might even start liking it,again?!! I just wish I could feel more (if any?) enthusiasm for the Fourth and Fifth!! I'll have another go at No 4,though,before long! I'll have to turn of Don Giovanni,though!! :o ;D

I really do think it is a shame that we can't have spanking new recordings of some of Fricker's best orchestral music. And I would run to buy a brand new,Chandos,or Bis,recording of The Vision of Judgement. Others might run the other way?!! ;D Still,anyone who enjoys Fricker,should be grateful to Lyrita for these releases. I just wish they'd complete their Daniel Jones Symphony cycle,though!! >:(

NB: The painting on the back of the Fricker/Simpson/orr emi cd is "The Pittville Pump Room,Bath,with Nissen huts" (1939) by William Gaydon (Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museums).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 07, 2018, 01:15:04 AM
I meant,Fricker's Second Symphony. Above post amended,now! I think it was the late night & the lager (only two pint cans,mind! :( ;D). Actually,it was part of the second movement (Andante) that went around in my head,afterwards. There's one rather mysterious bit,where the music gets very quiet,which really grabs my attention. You find yourself playing that bit,over and over in your head,like a,sort of,tape machine in your head!! I haven't heard the Chavez symphony you refer to,but it was great to finally hear the Orr in decent stereo sound,and I was impressed! Orr seems to be another neglected composer. I'm surprised a label,like Toccata,haven't turned their attention to his music?

I think Fricker's first two symphonies (particularly the first) are the pick of the bunch;but the third was the first Fricker work I ever really got to know,or enjoyed. That,thanks to a Radio 3 broadcast,around the mid 90's,which I taped. Around the same time,they broadcast Arnell's Piano Concerto,which I also taped. My enthusiasm towards the third has waned since then;especially since hearing his first two symphonies,his Vision of Judgement;and some other orchestral pieces. It does seem to have something going for it,though. I would like to hear it in a really state of the art,digital recording,of Bis,or Chandos,style,quality! I think it would benefit from that......and I might even start liking it,again?!! I just wish I could feel more (if any?) enthusiasm for the Fourth and Fifth!! I'll have another go at No 4,though,before long! I'll have to turn of Don Giovanni,though!! :o ;D

I really do think it is a shame that we can't have spanking new recordings of some of Fricker's best orchestral music. And I would run to buy a brand new,Chandos,or Bis,recording of The Vision of Judgement. Others might run the other way?!! ;D Still,anyone who enjoys Fricker,should be grateful to Lyrita for these releases. I just wish they'd complete their Daniel Jones Symphony cycle,though!! >:(

NB: The painting on the back of the Fricker/Simpson/orr emi cd is "The Pittville Pump Room,Bath,with Nissen huts" (1939) by William Gaydon (Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museums).
Thanks for the painting info. I owe you an enormous vote of thanks for alerting me to the qualities of 'The Vision of Judgment' which I still play regularly. The last part is especially moving but I enjoy the work as a whole. I like the appreciative shout-out by a member of the audience at the end. I'm not too keen on Symphony 5 and agree with you that symphonies 1 and 2 are the best or at least most enjoyable.
My wife has informed me that not only am I 'having an affair' with my CD collection but that I'm also addicted to my 'online music and cat group' (two separate groups by the way in case you thought it was one group). I don't even belong to a cat group any more. Must get on with my domestic chores whilst listening to the original version of Sibelius 5th Symphony. Thought you'd appreciate a bit of context.
8)