Frasier - One Of The Greatest Sitcoms Of All-Time?

Started by Mirror Image, February 26, 2012, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Continuing with the TV theme that's occurred on GMG lately...

For me, Frasier was one of the most sophisticated comedies on television. I remember watching the pilot of the show thinking "This is absolutely first-rate." Usually shows take awhile to get really comfortable, but I always thought Frasier was a success from the very beginning. This is a thinking man's comedy, but they did have many moments of purely accessible humor thanks to Frasier's dad, Martin (played John Mahoney).

Anybody else a fan of this, now classic, sitcom?

eyeresist

I found Frasier (note correct spelling) quite enjoyable, but think you might be overselling its intellectual qualities. The two brothers mentioned various highbrow consumer items, but the humour was fairly generic (to my recollection - it's been a while). I did enjoy the moment when Frasier's plot to conceal his non-Jewishness from his girlfriend's mother fell through...

Mirror Image

There were many moments that I found incredibly funny throughout the entire 11 seasons. I own all seasons and have watched the series from the beginning to the end twice. I thought the series took a bit of dive when Niles and Daphne finally got together. For me, a lot of the show's tension, besides Frasier's and his Dad's relationship, came from Niles drooling with animal lust over Daphne. I do think the show was very intelligent and I don't feel I'm overselling those qualities at all. The show was remarkable, but, as with anything, it's all subjective.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

fridden

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
Anybody else a fan of this, now classic, sitcom?

This is really a coincident. A few weeks ago I started a run-through and I am currently on season 2 episode 4. :-)
This is one my favorite sitcoms for sure. I also agree that it really did hit off right away.
I also think they did a really good job in creating the characters around Frasier, like Ross, Daphne, His father and (my favorite) Nigel his brother.

/fridden

Lethevich

It's my favourite "normal" US sitcom - for something that follows a very standard format, it's consistently interesting - partly because of the setting, partly because of the scripts, but mostly for the characters (typical "fiasco" plots seem to have added bite when conflicted with the characters individual pretentions, or lack of).

As to the intelligence, it can be hit or miss, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether the scriptwriters are just throwing things in to sound right, or whether they are setting up the characters. For example, at one point Niles (I think) was playing something harsh on the piano, and Frasier asked if it was Mahler, Niles said "god no" and they chortled together about how ghastly his music is. But really, the two characters represent the kind of American intelligentsia who would be great fans. There is a kind of scattered feel to such writing, but it's just me being pickly.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: fridden on February 26, 2012, 08:16:12 PM
This is really a coincident. A few weeks ago I started a run-through and I am currently on season 2 episode 4. :-)
This is one my favorite sitcoms for sure. I also agree that it really did hit off right away.
I also think they did a really good job in creating the characters around Frasier, like Ross, Daphne, His father and (my favorite) Nigel his brother.

/fridden

I'm glad you enjoy the show, fridden. :) It's surely one of the greats I think. The dynamic between all of the characters and how that dynamic grew organically season by season is really what made the show a success or at least in my opinion. Niles really was one of the key factors in what made this show such a hit.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethevich on February 26, 2012, 08:23:14 PM
It's my favourite "normal" US sitcom - for something that follows a very standard format, it's consistently interesting - partly because of the setting, partly because of the scripts, but mostly for the characters (typical "fiasco" plots seem to have added bite when conflicted with the characters individual pretentions, or lack of).

Yes, it did follow a pretty standard format, but, like I mentioned to fridden, what made the show incredibly unique is the character dynamic and how it, over 11 seasons, grew and matured. Not too many shows pay attention to this, but it's one of the reasons this show was a big hit early on because people seemed to respond to the brother/brother and father/son aspect of the show, but also because of the natural feel that these incredible actors brought to their characters.

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethevich on February 26, 2012, 08:23:14 PMFor example, at one point Niles (I think) was playing something harsh on the piano, and Frasier asked if it was Mahler, Niles said "god no" and they chortled together about how ghastly his music is. But really, the two characters represent the kind of American intelligentsia who would be great fans.

The piano works of Mahler??? I wonder what the music actually was.

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethevich on February 26, 2012, 08:23:14 PM

As to the intelligence, it can be hit or miss, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether the scriptwriters are just throwing things in to sound right, or whether they are setting up the characters. For example, at one point Niles (I think) was playing something harsh on the piano, and Frasier asked if it was Mahler, Niles said "god no" and they chortled together about how ghastly his music is. But really, the two characters represent the kind of American intelligentsia who would be great fans. There is a kind of scattered feel to such writing, but it's just me being pickly.

I liked it because it had, much of the time, a rather dry and understated sort of humor, and when the actors hammed it up,  they managed to do so in a restrained and understated way (which may sound impossible, and is certainly paradoxical, but it's the best way I can describe many of the best moments).  Added to this was the feeling that there was a strong bond of love among Frasier, Niles and their father, and respect for the other major characters as well--something that is often lacking from other so-called hit shows.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethevich on February 26, 2012, 08:23:14 PMAs to the intelligence, it can be hit or miss, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether the scriptwriters are just throwing things in to sound right, or whether they are setting up the characters. For example, at one point Niles (I think) was playing something harsh on the piano, and Frasier asked if it was Mahler, Niles said "god no" and they chortled together about how ghastly his music is. But really, the two characters represent the kind of American intelligentsia who would be great fans. There is a kind of scattered feel to such writing, but it's just me being pickly.

Yeah, it's just you being pickly. ;D It was a known fact that both of the Crane brothers didn't like Mahler and this was only mentioned a few times during the entire series. I do remember the Crane brothers being more into the Classical and early Romantic era composers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 26, 2012, 08:40:42 PMAdded to this was the feeling that there was a strong bond of love among Frasier, Niles and their father, and respect for the other major characters as well--something that is often lacking from other so-called hit shows.

Which is exactly what I've been saying all along about the character dynamic.

Lethevich

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 26, 2012, 08:40:42 PM
I liked it because it had, much of the time, a rather dry and understated sort of humor, and when the actors hammed it up,  they managed to do so in a restrained and understated way (which may sound impossible, and is certainly paradoxical, but it's the best way I can describe many of the best moments).  Added to this was the feeling that there was a strong bond of love among Frasier, Niles and their father, and respect for the other major characters as well--something that is often lacking from other so-called hit shows.

The strange thing is they are not spectacular actors elsewhere, but something about each character worked perfectly for them.

eyeresist

Well, I'm afraid I'm not very well-connected in the doo-wop world, Dad.  Uh, if there's ever a "Mahler-palooza", I'm your man.

fridden

Quote from: fridden on February 26, 2012, 08:16:12 PM
His father and (my favorite) Nigel his brother.

Ouch, of course I meant Niles.  :-[

I also like the way this show could bring up serious issues in a natural and humorous way. I don't know how to express this in English, but sometimes sitcoms can be too PC and write it on your nose somehow, something I feel is not the case with Frasier.

So whats your favorite episode, or since it perhaps has been a long time, the episode you most remember?
One of my favorites, is The Club, where Niles and Frasier tries to get membership to Seattle's prestigious Empire Club.

Lethevich

Quote from: fridden on February 26, 2012, 09:16:05 PM
So whats your favorite episode, or since it perhaps has been a long time, the episode you most remember?
One of my favorites, is The Club, where Niles and Frasier tries to get membership to Seattle's prestigious Empire Club.

Is that the one where they end up shut outside because they went through a fancy exit trying to reach the next tier? I like that one too - I also like the one where Frasier buys a painting that turned out to be a fake.

fridden

Quote from: Lethevich on February 26, 2012, 09:30:05 PM
Is that the one where they end up shut outside because they went through a fancy exit trying to reach the next tier? I like that one too - I also like the one where Frasier buys a painting that turned out to be a fake.

No, the one where they end up shut outside is called Door Jam, from season 10. It's a really good one too  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: fridden on February 26, 2012, 09:16:05 PM
So whats your favorite episode, or since it perhaps has been a long time, the episode you most remember? One of my favorites, is The Club, where Niles and Frasier tries to get membership to Seattle's prestigious Empire Club.

Actually, one of my favorites is the one that aired just prior to The Club: from season 2 episode 17, Daphne's Room. This is the one where Frasier is caught several times in Daphne's room, including once when he is accused of spying on Daphne from the closest as she's about to take a shower. Some superb physical comedy by all the characters...and the quick cuts to each of the Crane men's faces (including Eddie's) when they are caught seemingly going through her belongings is priceless.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 27, 2012, 03:12:54 AM
Actually, one of my favorites is the one that aired just prior to The Club: from season 2 episode 17, Daphne's Room. This is the one where Frasier is caught several times in Daphne's room, including once when he is accused of spying on Daphne from the closest as she's about to take a shower. Some superb physical comedy by all the characters...and the quick cuts to each of the Crane men's faces (including Eddie's) when they are caught seemingly going through her belongings is priceless.

Sarge
Frasier was not my personal favorite, but it sure could be funny (and was so well written). One that comes to mind - the episode that takes place entirely in the coffee shop. Frasier keeps returning his coffee - while the discussion is in turns serious, light, and philosophical (and of course often rediculously funny). The back and forth is so natural and really builds well. Are you Happy?

Frasier: Do you love her (Maris)?
Niles: Of course. But it's a different kind of love.
Frasier: You mean it's not human?

Niles: I don't think she (Roz) likes me.
Frasier: It's not a question of liking or not liking. She despises you. 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!