Frasier - One Of The Greatest Sitcoms Of All-Time?

Started by Mirror Image, February 26, 2012, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2012, 08:41:25 PM
It was a known fact that both of the Crane brothers didn't like Mahler and this was only mentioned a few times during the entire series. I do remember the Crane brothers being more into the Classical and early Romantic era composers.

Quote from: karlhenning on February 27, 2012, 04:08:20 PM
Speaking as one who enthuses over fewer than half a dozen US TV shows, myself ... this is is exactly the sort of "known fact" one cannot expect a casual fan of such a show to have picked up.

The Crane brothers also love Wagner...so, Karl, I understand completely why you don't like Frasier  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2012, 06:11:40 PM
I hate Big Bang Theory. Such annoying, dreadful characters. Seinfeld had annoying characters too...

And Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) has to be the single most annoying, and embarrassing, character ever invented. If, in fact, he is an invention and not the real Larry David  ;D  But see, you admit annoying characters can be extremely funny. That's what makes Sheldon such a remarkable character  8)

Sarge

Lethevich

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2012, 06:11:40 PM
Seinfeld had annoying characters [...]

You're too well-adjusted - I share so many George characteristics that I view him as a rolemodel.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 28, 2012, 03:43:05 AM
The Crane brothers also love Wagner...so, Karl, I understand completely why you don't like Frasier  ;D

Sarge

I had no idea, Sarge — truly! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethevich on February 28, 2012, 04:40:33 AM
You're too well-adjusted - I share so many George characteristics that I view him as a rolemodel.

I sincerely hope you haven't poisoned your partner because you were too cheap to buy the good stuff  :D

Sarge

Lethevich

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 28, 2012, 05:44:05 AM
I sincerely hope you haven't poisoned your partner because you were too cheap to buy the good stuff  :D

I'm plenty capable of doing that with my cooking ::) I've managed to follow George's "do the exact opposite of what you think best" wisdom for so long, I've almost become a capable individual by complete accident :P

Kontrapunctus

It's absolutely one of my favorites! (I have the complete series on DVD.) The acting, writing, cast chemistry, memorable characters--just one of the best.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 28, 2012, 04:09:31 AM
And Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) has to be the single most annoying, and embarrassing, character ever invented. If, in fact, he is an invention and not the real Larry David  ;D  But see, you admit annoying characters can be extremely funny. That's what makes Sheldon such a remarkable character  8)

Sarge

Sheldon in annoying in a bad way, Larry David is annoying in a truly funny way. I just hate Big Bang. Sorry...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on February 28, 2012, 08:44:41 AM
It's absolutely one of my favorites! (I have the complete series on DVD.) The acting, writing, cast chemistry, memorable characters--just one of the best.

+1

I own all seasons on DVD too.

Kontrapunctus

I sometimes use the episode when Frasier invites the new station manager over to meet Daphne (but the man is gay and thinks he's on a date with Frasier) to teach the concept of dramatic irony to my high school literature students! It's one of my favorites.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on February 28, 2012, 09:49:58 PM
I sometimes use the episode when Frasier invites the new station manager over to meet Daphne (but the man is gay and thinks he's on a date with Frasier) to teach the concept of dramatic irony to my high school literature students! It's one of my favorites.

Yes, that's a fantastic episode. I know  this was an early episode. Was this on the second season? I can't quite remember.

Lethevich

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 08:09:25 AM
Yes, that's a fantastic episode. I know  this was an early episode. Was this on the second season? I can't quite remember.

Yip. In fact, many of the suggestions seem to be (Empire Club, Daphne's Bedroom). I've been watching what I can on Youtube, like the cheapskate I am, and most of series 1 is not available, so I began with series 2, and found myself immediately familiar with all these things people had been mentioning earlier that day ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethevich on February 29, 2012, 08:42:32 AM
Yip. In fact, many of the suggestions seem to be (Empire Club, Daphne's Bedroom). I've been watching what I can on Youtube, like the cheapskate I am, and most of series 1 is not available, so I began with series 2, and found myself immediately familiar with all these things people had been mentioning earlier that day ;D

I remember the second and third seasons being especially great. I'm re-watching the entire series again (for the third time) and I'm on the last episode of the Season 1 now.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 28, 2012, 09:15:32 PM
Sheldon in annoying in a bad way, Larry David is annoying in a truly funny way. I just hate Big Bang. Sorry...

Sheldon suffers from Asperger syndrome; his annoying habits make sense, and are forgivable. Larry David is just a clueless asshole  :D  I wouldn't care to associate with either, but they are both fun to watch.

Sarge

Lethevich

We don't suffer, per-se, we... unintentionally infuriate both others and ourselves - often in impressively long combo chains :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 29, 2012, 11:25:34 AM
Sheldon suffers from Asperger syndrome; his annoying habits make sense, and are forgivable. Larry David is just a clueless asshole  :D  I wouldn't care to associate with either, but they are both fun to watch.

Sarge

I don't think Sheldon is fun to watch. You do, that's fine, but I can't stand the character, whereas with David, in some instances, I understand where he's coming from. I associate more with David than Sheldon, which makes David the more approachable character for me.

mc ukrneal

With all this talk of best sitcoms, I really think there are a few that are not mentioned, but are as good or better than Frasier.
All in the Family - a real consideration for best ever. The characters were incredible - Archie was an SOB that you could not help watching. The social issues they touched upon were quite different from most other sitcoms (especially today). Some great writing here.
M*A*S*H - The only other that gives All in the Family a run for its money in its quality and ability to merge drama into a sitcom. Sometimes it's hard to tell what kind of show you are watching and that is special. Many of the issues dealt with are still relevant today.

Both shows are a bit different from the usual sitcom in their ability to mix drama and humor together. The tension on both could be unbearable and there still episodes of both that I have difficulty watching - because they are too true, hit too close to home, or are just painful to watch. There are not many sitcoms like that and perhaps not appreciated or liked by all. But it is precisely these qualituies that draw me to them.

There are others like the Jeffersons or Sanford and Son, though they come behind the other two (IMO). The Cosby Show ranks up there too.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 29, 2012, 12:45:11 PM
With all this talk of best sitcoms, I really think there are a few that are not mentioned, but are as good or better than Frasier.
All in the Family - a real consideration for best ever. The characters were incredible - Archie was an SOB that you could not help watching. The social issues they touched upon were quite different from most other sitcoms (especially today). Some great writing here.
M*A*S*H - The only other that gives All in the Family a run for its money in its quality and ability to merge drama into a sitcom. Sometimes it's hard to tell what kind of show you are watching and that is special. Many of the issues dealt with are still relevant today.

Both shows are a bit different from the usual sitcom in their ability to mix drama and humor together. The tension on both could be unbearable and there still episodes of both that I have difficulty watching - because they are too true, hit too close to home, or are just painful to watch. There are not many sitcoms like that and perhaps not appreciated or liked by all. But it is precisely these qualituies that draw me to them.

There are others like the Jeffersons or Sanford and Son, though they come behind the other two (IMO). The Cosby Show ranks up there too.

Never have cared for any of the shows which you listed. M*A*S*H wasn't particularly interesting, but, then again, I never thought the idea of a show in the middle of a war was particularly funny or even amusing. Sanford & Son had some good moments, but I found it to be one-dimensional and just not entertaining enough. The Jeffersons was never funny IMHO. All In The Family didn't do much for me either. I didn't relate at all to any of the characters. The writing wasn't particularly noteworthy either.

Mirror Image

Anyway...getting back on topic ::)

Another episode I liked from the second season is when Frasier and Niles felt compelled to get into politics and chose a complete nutjob candidate to support while Martin's candidate of choice was a war veteran.

One of the more memorable lines from this episode was when, during a break from Frasier's commercial with Phil Patterson (the Crane brothers' choice) being filmed at Frasier's apartment, was when Niles walked up to Patterson and said "The Crane family has a long history of political involvement. You know, my wife Maris actually has all our servants down at your campaign headquarters licking envelopes. She'd do it herself, but the poor thing can't produce saliva."

I also like this line from Daphne when she talks to Phil Patterson: "You know, my uncle was a political writer for one of those
London tabloids. I can still remember his biggest scoop. The headline read: "High-ranking politician caught wearing
women's clothing." Of course, you turn to page two and you found out it was Margaret Thatcher, but by then you'd already bought the paper."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethevich on February 29, 2012, 12:01:00 PM
We don't suffer, per-se, we... unintentionally infuriate both others and ourselves - often in impressively long combo chains :P

I didn't mean suffers in the sense of suffering...just as a synonym for has. Sheldon seems quite content most of the time with his condition.

Sarge