Frasier - One Of The Greatest Sitcoms Of All-Time?

Started by Mirror Image, February 26, 2012, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Could be part of why I never wanted to take up skiing . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bulldog on March 28, 2012, 09:44:34 AM
That was one of my least favorite episodes - way too contrived.

I liked it because of everything that was happening in such a limited space. Almost the entire episode revolved around that ski lodge. I find that the writing was really well done, especially considering, again, how limited their surroundings were.

TheGSMoeller

Philoctetes

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2012, 10:41:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/RlpDFJZ_5gs

Here is some proof that the show is not completely white.

You're right. There are different shades of white like egg-shell and off-white and off-off-white.

eyeresist

I don't have flash enabled. I will just carry on imagining this is a sketch with Frasier and Niles in blackface.

Philoctetes

Quote from: eyeresist on March 28, 2012, 05:02:36 PM
I don't have flash enabled. I will just carry on imagining this is a sketch with Frasier and Niles in blackface.

That's not far from the truth. It might even confirm your suspicions about racisms.

ibanezmonster

Good LAWD, man!!!!
This weekend was wack! On Saturday, I had just finished spittin' some rhymes wit my homie, when I realized I had to go to the grocery store. So, I picked up some dinner- a packet of Purple Kool-Aid, fried chicken, collard greens, watermelon, and a biscuit. I went to check out and saw that I didn't have no more food stamps!  :o So I dashed out and the cops got me! Good lawd, you can never outrun white cops if you're a black man!

Spent Saturday night in jail... got out Sunday and went to church- I'm the bass guitarist. Got in at 8am, got out at 4pm. Short service. Then I drove my pimped out Cadillac to the court to shoot some hoops, and I saw one of my homeboys sniffin' some crack from the sidewalk!  :o I said, "Good lawd, don't you know a white cop can sense a black man sniffin' crack from up to 20 miles away?" We organized a game, and this fool fouled me so hard that I wanted a flagrant foul! I told that jit, "Yo dawg, you gonna give me an extra free throw. That's a flagrant!" Then he pulled out a gun, pointed it at me, and said, "You want a flagrant foul? I'll give you a flagrant foul."

Good lawd, the white man hates the black man and the black man hates the black man. I think I'm gonna quit this rap stuff and listen to BB King. Nobody loves me but my mother, and she whips me with a belt daily!  :(

;)

eyeresist

I don't see how it denigrates anyone to say they like fried chicken. (Unless you - or they - are a hardcore vegetarian.)

Philoctetes

Quote from: eyeresist on March 28, 2012, 08:49:25 PM
I don't see how it denigrates anyone to say they like fried chicken. (Unless you - or they - are a hardcore vegetarian.)

Curious.

eyeresist

I used to live in a vegetarian household, and would sometimes sneak out to the nearby KFC for a big box of greasy chicken. It always made me feel a bit sick afterwards - karma or guilt?

Karl Henning

Quote from: eyeresist on March 28, 2012, 09:40:39 PM
I used to live in a vegetarian household, and would sometimes sneak out to the nearby KFC for a big box of greasy chicken. It always made me feel a bit sick afterwards - karma or guilt?

Neither: that stuff's purt near indigestible.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

I used to live in a vegetarian household
:'(

It always made me feel a bit sick afterwards - karma or guilt?
Probably the grease.

Hey, guess who also likes fried chicken? Mitt Romney!  :o He's really one of us!  :o

http://cnettv.cnet.com/mitt-romney-eats-lunch-kfc/9742-1_53-50018236.html

Karl Henning

Funny how, every four years, you learn that someone unlikely enjoys grits . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on March 29, 2012, 06:04:40 AMFunny how, every four years, you learn that someone unlikely enjoys grits . . . .

Also beer.

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2012, 07:11:38 PM

One of my favorite episodes of Frasier occurs in the 5th season. The episode is titled The Ski Lodge and here is a breakdown of the storyline:

Roz wins a free trip to a ski lodge, including lessons from a skiing instructor, but is talked into trading them to Frasier in return for a big screen TV. So Frasier decides to take the whole family to the ski lodge, including Daphne and her friend Annie, a swimsuit model. There they meet Guy (played by James Patrick Stuart), a gay ski instructor, who likes Niles and thinks he is gay too. This is confirmed by misinformation given by Martin who has hearing difficulty due to a blocked ear. Throughout the episode confusion arises as Frasier is lusting after Annie, who desires Niles. Niles, however, attempts throughout the episode to confess his feelings for Daphne, while Daphne attempts to pick up Guy, who thinks that Daphne and Annie are lesbians. Throughout the night, various people visit each other's rooms or discover someone in their bed. Once the truth is revealed, Frasier realized that no one is lusting after him.

This sounds like a classic farce scenario, which is hardly encouraging. Still, good new sitcoms are hard to find. Maybe the supply of situations has been exhausted. Also, we're sick to death of dysfunctional families.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

The new erato

Quote from: Ten thumbs on March 30, 2012, 01:31:12 PM
Also, we're sick to death of dysfunctional families.
Yes, Stuff like King of Queens (and several others) make me choke. When I occasionally stumble across it, all I can do is think "why don't she divorce the stupid slob?".

"How I met your mother OTOH" I find works.

Bulldog

Quote from: The new erato on March 31, 2012, 01:35:18 AM
Yes, Stuff like King of Queens (and several others) make me choke. When I occasionally stumble across it, all I can do is think "why don't she divorce the stupid slob?".

I guess you're not aware of the host of poor traits the wife exhibits.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bulldog on March 31, 2012, 08:13:36 AM

Her taste in men being the most obvious  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: Bulldog on March 31, 2012, 08:13:36 AM
Oh yes I am. But compared to him she's a peach. Anyway; the point is that such settings only can take so much before they go beyond the probable and ends in pure annoyance at the participants pure stupidity.