Facebook, Twitter and Social Media

Started by mc ukrneal, March 21, 2012, 08:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

Quote from: North Star on May 08, 2014, 06:27:17 AM
I thought you meant it in the sense it fits me..  0:)

That was you I just friended back, eh? :)

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Glad you gents have got together there, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

Mookalafalas

I think facebook is kind of miraculous.  When I started an account, old friends from junior high school and high school, ex-girlfriends, found me--people I hadn't heard about in 20 or 30 years.  I don't post much, and most of them don't either, but I check every morning, and if someone's child won an award or something, yeah, it's trivial, but I like to say "congrats" and stay that little-bit connected to people who used to be very important in my life.  I guess it's kind of like "7-Up"--but built around your own life.
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 08, 2014, 06:10:55 PM
I think facebook is kind of miraculous.  When I started an account, old friends from junior high school and high school, ex-girlfriends, found me--people I hadn't heard about in 20 or 30 years.  I don't post much, and most of them don't either, but I check every morning, and if someone's child won an award or something, yeah, it's trivial, but I like to say "congrats" and stay that little-bit connected to people who used to be very important in my life.  I guess it's kind of like "7-Up"--but built around your own life.

Agreed, it's a wonderful medium to keep in touch, and to keep it light.

Separately, one borderline vexatious thing I find in social media is:

. . . hang on, I've got to restart the machine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

I try to quit FB but they keep dragging me back in.  >:(

Karl Henning

One Machine Re-Start Later . . .

One borderline vexatious thing I find in social media is:

A celebrity dies, 'tis pity. Because the deceased is a celebrity (and by definition world-famous) social media erupts with an effusion of variations on Oh, this person meant so much to me;  and to a certain degree, that's fine.  After all, the person's celebrity (to state the obvious) depended on the appearance of some sort of contact with many individuals who, in fact, do not know the celebrity personally.  I say to a certain degree because the proceedings soon become an unseemly kind of circus:  it is not grief personal to the vast majority of us, yet -- can't stop the gushery.

All that is actually something I consider a serious concern with, let us say, social disproportion.

The relatively trivial complaint is, sorry:  I do not now give, have never given, much of a damn about Joan Rivers, fine person though I must suppose her to have been.  But, hello, week in which J. R. is the 500-lb. gorilla in the virtual room.

Rant over.  Thank you for your time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on September 05, 2014, 06:28:51 AM
The relatively trivial complaint is, sorry:  i do not now give, have never given, much of a damn about Joan Rivers, fine person though I must suppose her to have been.  But, hello, week in which J. R. is the 500-lb. gorilla in the virtual room.

Rant over.  Thank you for your time.

Lovely. She has always irritated me.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 05, 2014, 06:30:52 AM

Wishing to think the best of people, I always assumed that it was her act.  And her act was not to my taste.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

I've never had a FB account. While considering registration, my wife's account has been hacked, twice --- so I gave up. I guess GMG is more than enough for my socializing on the web.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Well, and I am glad to "meet" you here, Andrei.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 05, 2014, 06:30:52 AM

Not to be an apologist for her (she doesn't need it) I believe that was her point...

Karl's is well-taken though. Before long, the person assumes godlike proportions; my favorite is "(s)he was an icon!". The post Michael Jackson frenzy was the best, followed by the woman who snorted her fame up her nose, can't remember her name now. She was a diva though, a freaking icon, I'm sure of that... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on September 05, 2014, 06:34:46 AM
I've never had a FB account. While considering registration, my wife's account has been hacked, twice --- so I gave up. I guess GMG is more than enough for my socializing on the web.  ;D

Joining Twitter would give you a great opportunity to work on your prolixity though... just sayin'...   :D :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on September 05, 2014, 06:31:50 AM
Wishing to think the best of people, I always assumed that it was her act.  And her act was not to my taste.

Her act is vile. :)

mn dave

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2014, 06:36:02 AM
Not to be an apologist for her (she doesn't need it) I believe that was her point...

Her point was to irritate me? I'm flattered.

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2014, 06:37:09 AM
Joining Twitter would give you a great opportunity to work on your prolixity though... just sayin'...   :D :D

8)

First put your entire Haydn Seek site on Twitter; then I might consider joining it... ;D

mn dave

A message board forum where you discuss TOPICS will always be better than Twitter or Facebook where you discuss the cupcake you just ate and that it was delicious. PEOPLE LOVE TALKING ABOUT THEMSELVES, in case you hadn't noticed.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 05, 2014, 06:43:05 AM
Her point was to irritate me? I'm flattered.

Clearly she did it well. :)  I'm not sure of the root of "insult comedy", but there is no question the audience should be edgy during and after. I always was...

8)