Judith Weir (1954 -)

Started by Mirror Image, April 04, 2012, 08:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Right now, I can't say I'm that impressed with Weir's music. There just isn't enough contrasts or melodic/harmonic tension in the music to sustain much interest from me. Now granted, this is only a first listen of the NMC orchestral recording, but I'm certainly not disappointed that I bought the recording, but the music just failed to make much of a connection with me. But, as always, I realize this purely my own subjective opinion and not the composer's fault. I like music that has more dramatic tension and that uses more dissonance and has a bit more edge to it. The music just never seemed to get off the ground much and it meandered too much and not in an exploratory type of way either.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2012, 08:16:39 PM
Right now, I can't say I'm that impressed with Weir's music. There just isn't enough contrasts or melodic/harmonic tension in the music to sustain much interest from me. Now granted, this is only a first listen of the NMC orchestral recording, but I'm certainly not disappointed that I bought the recording, but the music just failed to make much of a connection with me. But, as always, I realize this purely my own subjective opinion and not the composer's fault. I like music that has more dramatic tension and that uses more dissonance and has a bit more edge to it. The music just never seemed to get off the ground much and it meandered too much and not in an exploratory type of way either.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it as much as you thought you would, John.

I am still rather interested to listen to some of her music.... see if I agree.  :P
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 10, 2012, 06:29:19 AM
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it as much as you thought you would, John.

I am still rather interested to listen to some of her music.... see if I agree.  :P

Yeah, Daniel. Hopefully, with another listen will open the music up a little more for me. Again, there just wasn't enough contrasts in the music to hold my interest for very long.

By the way, have you received those Tippett recordings yet?

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2012, 06:32:38 AM
Yeah, Daniel. Hopefully, with another listen will open the music up a little more for me. Again, there just wasn't enough contrasts in the music to hold my interest for very long.

By the way, have you received those Tippett recordings yet?

Contrasts are certainly very important... maybe it's just the work?

No, none of the Tippett recordings have arrived yet... although, the Tennstedt Mahler cycle, Dutoit Ravel D+C, Prokofiev Nevsky Cantata (Jarvi) and my score for the Prokofiev classical symphony have arrived. It shouldn't be long. :)

THE RING CYCLE IS SO AMAZING, JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I have an urge to post this in every thread! I am now half way through... so great!!!!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 10, 2012, 08:29:50 AMTHE RING CYCLE IS SO AMAZING, JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I have an urge to post this in every thread! I am now half way through... so great!!!!

It most certainly is, Daniel. I've listened to the whole cycle twice, but there's no telling how many times I listened to just Das Rheingold alone. :D