German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Georg Böhm (1661-1733) - Werke für Lautenwerk
Geoffrey Thomas, lute-harpsichord (Keith Hill)
New Classical Adventure – NCA, 2002

This disc was in my wishlist during a long time. One month ago, I ordered it from JPC (EU 4.99). I just can say it's an excellent recording, very well played by Geoffrey Thomas and superbly recorded. I was pleased to see the name of the multi-instrumentalist Gergély Särközy in the digital editing.

I liked the whole package, including the interesting liner notes by the performer himself. Here some extracts of those notes:

"The suites of Georg Böhm contain a manylayered aural landscape with a constant variety of textures and timbres. They extract a rich variety of sonorities from the instruments and constantly delight the listener".

"In his earlier works J.S. Bach belongs to the musical world of Böhm and the 17th century German masters. The fifteen years old J.S. Bach came to Lüneburg as a chorister when Böhm 14 years his senior, had recently assumed the organist post at the Johanniskirche. We do not know if Bach studied with Böhm, but it is tempting to imagine that the ambitious young musician would have sought out the city's leading composer. The music which the young Bach encountered was fluid, irregular and rhapsodic. This is not to suggest, however, that the structure or architecture is lacking. The music has a firm two-part structure with the bass in constant dialogue with the soprano. Inner voices entre and exit like supporting roles in a theatrical work"
. [you can hear this feature in the CD]

"Styles of performing in the 18th century were infinitely more varied than today. We could compare them to the wide variations in German dialects or to the many varieties of Cabernet Sauvignon from locations as diverse as California, Chile and Hungary". [it's a more long idea, but I am quoting just because he mentions my own country  ;D]  

It's possible to listen to an entire track here:

http://bgthomas.com/music/

:)

prémont

Generally Böhm´s Claviesuiten have been neglected on CD, but there are a few excellent recordings all worth a consideration (do not know Wolley BTW).

Other than Geoffrey Thomas on NCA there are

Gustav Leonhardt on Telefunken OOP ?

Gustav Leonhardt on Sony:
http://www.amazon.fr/George-B%C3%B6hm-Keyboard-Georg-Bohm/dp/B0000028U7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251668804&sr=1-1

Mitzi Meyerson on Glossa (complete edition):
http://www.amazon.fr/B%C3%B6hm-Suites-clavier-Mitzi-Meyerson/dp/B0000C8WY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251668885&sr=1-1

Rinaldo Alessandrini on Astreé : http://www.amazon.fr/Suites-Partitas-Georg-Boehm/dp/B000025UA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251668296&sr=1-2

Robert Wolley on Meridian:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dclassical&field-keywords=b%F6hm+wolley&x=11&y=19
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on August 30, 2009, 01:52:19 PM

Other than Geoffrey Thomas on NCA...

Gustav Leonhardt on Sony:
http://www.amazon.fr/George-B%C3%B6hm-Keyboard-Georg-Bohm/dp/B0000028U7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251668804&sr=1-1

Fortunately this recording is available again in the Leonhardt's Jubilee Edition box set (Sony), so highly praised few days ago on the board.

Quote from: premont on August 30, 2009, 01:52:19 PM
Mitzi Meyerson on Glossa (complete edition):
http://www.amazon.fr/B%C3%B6hm-Suites-clavier-Mitzi-Meyerson/dp/B0000C8WY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251668885&sr=1-1

I have considered this recording; it seems excellent on the basis of a few samples (and it's included in a MDT offer). But I must fight with some rejection against Meyerson. Some years ago, I bought a highly recommended disc dedicated to Gaspard Le Roux, but I hated that disc.

:)

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 30, 2009, 12:43:40 PM
Georg Böhm (1661-1733) - Werke für Lautenwerk
Geoffrey Thomas, lute-harpsichord (Keith Hill)
New Classical Adventure – NCA, 2002

This disc was in my wishlist during a long time. One month ago, I ordered it from JPC (EU 4.99). I just can say it's an excellent recording, very well played by Geoffrey Thomas and superbly recorded. I was pleased to see the name of the multi-instrumentalist Gergély Särközy in the digital editing.

Thanks for the comments - interesting read.  :)
Just to compare notes I've dug up my own comments:

Quote from: Que on November 30, 2007, 01:42:35 AM

Got this cheap at jpc. The music by Georg Böhm reminds me most of early keyboard works by Bach. Nice, but not as original as, say Froberger. An important attraction here is the sound of the lute-harpsichord (Lautenwerck), which is wonderful and full of character. Geoffrey Thomas is a sensible and competent player, but misses that extra imaginative approach that could have given this music just an extra edge.
Nevertheless - a very nice bargain for lovers of the lute-harpsichord! :)

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on September 09, 2009, 07:45:09 AM
Thanks for the comments - interesting read.  :)
Just to compare notes I've dug up my own comments:

We agree almost totally, Que.

Anyway, I appreciate the mainly "textual" approach of Geoffrey Thomas and his effort to show objectively the different voices in these pieces.

BTW, what a wonderful piece is that Präludium, Fugue and Postludium in g-Moll! Besides, that name recalls the Bach's Toccata, Adagio & Fugue BWV 564 (not included for our contributors among the greatest Bach's organ pieces!).

Here the aforementioned Böhm's piece played on organ:  

http://www.youtube.com/v/WLS3x-OFAFI

Antoine Marchand

Johann Jacob Prinner, Musicalischer Schlissl (1677):

"If you want to play the violin properly you must hold the instrument so firmly with your chin that there's no reason to hold it with the left hand, otherwise it would be impossible to play quick passages which go high and then low... Nevertheless, I have known virtuosi of repute who irrespective of this put the violin only against the chest, thinking it looks nice and decorative, because they have taken it from a painting where an angel is playing to St. Francis and found it more picturesque: but they should have known that the painter was perhaps more artful with his paintbrush than he would have been with the violin bow".

(Biber, Violin Sonatas, Romanesca, 2 CDs, HM USA)

snyprrr

Quote from: Que on July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM
Here is a thread to discuss works by other composers of the German baroque than Bach.

Recommendations - queries - discussions.

Btw, "German" in the title of this thread means that I'm refering to all baroque composers from the Germanic Empire (or Holy Roman Empire) and/including Bohemia.
Oh, and yes, and I assume someone will give Georg Friedrich Händel his own thread! 8)

Several composers come to mind:

Composers linked to a site specially dedicated to them, are indicated in bold.
BTW I'll continously update the list of composers, and will add links to websites on them - if anyone knows interesting sites, please PM them to me!

Thanks! :)

Bach: check
Haendel: check
Zelenka: check
Telemann: check

Abel: one SQ
Richter: four SQs

ok, so Biber, Westhoff, and Pisendel for violin? Telemann, also has some solo violin, no? The more strings, the better.

Froberger for cool harpsichord music? And Buxtehude for organ???

Telemann seems to have cornered the market on "trios" and "quartets". I had a bout of Telemann chamber buying in the early days, and what survived was a very nice Nueva Era disc with some really nice minor key "quartets". Not so hot on the "Paris" Quartets, as I remember, but Telemann has a few minor key chamber works that rival the best; however, the Zelenka trio sonatas are da bomb!

Que

.[asin]B0001AP1DU[/asin]

Quote from: premont on October 03, 2009, 12:30:58 PM
She has recorded seven volumes so far. Is the music substantial enough to be considered in that quantity?

Quote from: Bulldog on October 03, 2009, 01:00:34 PM
I acquired the first two volumes.  The music is rewarding but not compelling, so I decided to stop at 2.

Well, my bank manager warned me: "think of the financial consequences", he said. :o Naturally, I went through with it anyway. ;D But I was sceptical: Graupner? Would he be interesting?  I mean, can there be anything worthwile besides the giant Bach and the illustrious Froberger? ::)

Well, yes, on the basis of this one disc I think there might be.  :) Though the real proof in these matters is hearing more music and living with it for a while - as is definitely my intention here. Maybe I end up aborting this project as Don has, or maybe not - I have a hunch that the character of Graupner's music might play a decisive role in how one will ultimately respond to it. The esteemed Scott Morrison clearly loves it (more), for example. But... so does the infamous Hurwitzer! ;D ("Graupner rocks!:o)

Okay, a bit more down to earth now. Graupner was a contemporary of big J.S. but the style (and character) in which Graupner wrote his harpsichord music is quite different. Like Froberger, Christoph Graupner was clearly influenced by the French harpsichord School. Though I wouldn't say as Scott did that he sounds French through and through - this music is more linear with more forward thrust and stylistic characteristics oft the German style are also clearly noticeable. Graupner's music is playful, elegant and virtuosic, but also bold at times, always in a very bright, uplifted and "witty" mood - much less of the seriousness à la Bach or Buxtehude. It is very expressive music: plenty of variety in in expression of rhythm, musical motives and dramatic gestures. When comparing with other composers Louis Couperin, Jean-François Dandrieu and Pancrase Royer come to mind, with a hint of Froberger. I like it, it is good stuff. But then again: I am a harpsichord nut... 8)

But the taste of the pudding is in the eating - do try the samples at the Analekta site - linked above.

A word about the performance. Hadn't heard Geneviève Soly before. She does quite an excellent job - doing full justice to the virtuosic and playfull nature of the music, playing swift and very articulated. Naturally she studied with old master Gustav!  8) (Also with Kenneth Gilbert.) She plays a double manual harpsichord by Hubbard & Broekmann, based on designs by H.A. Hass in Hamburgian style, with a buff stop (or lute stop) - which is used to beautiful effect on several occasions here.

Yes, sorry, for now: recommended! 8)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on October 04, 2009, 02:03:20 AM
Well, my bank manager warned me: "think of the financial consequences", he said. :o Naturally, I went through with it anyway. ;D But I was sceptical: Graupner? Would he be interesting?  I mean, can there be anything worthwile besides the giant Bach and the illustrious Froberger? ::)

Have I missed something here?  I have noticed only 7 volumes of Graupner's harpsichord works and these CD's are available on Amazon for about $14 on average.  How is it going to break anyone's bank? 

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on October 04, 2009, 04:38:17 AM
How is it going to break anyone's bank? 
Many banks are already broken.

71 dB

Never underestimate Fasch and Graupner. These two are mighty composers. Fortunately their music has got more attention/recognition recently.

Naxos has released one dics of Graupner's Partitas for Harpsichord.

The reviews seem flattering: "What an excellent performer she is and i hope Naxos will enable her to make further cd's. In direct comparison with Genevive Soly on Analekta who is an authority on Graupner she easily holds her own and in the great A major chaconne i actually prefer her to Soly." says one reviewer. Sounds good. I will buy that Naxos disc sooner or later.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on October 04, 2009, 05:23:16 AM
Many banks are already broken.

Like most big American and British banks ...    ;D

prémont

Have I missed something here?  I have noticed only 7 volumes of Graupner's harpsichord works and these CD's are available on Amazon for about $14 on average.  How is it going to break anyone's bank? 

As far as I can see, the complete edition will take about 20 CDs, making the total cost $280.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 31, 2009, 04:43:08 AM

BTW another Staier/Schornsheim project is this CD I also ordered, a snapshot sampling of the great keyboard composers works from Hamburg 1734...........this is very interesting concept that I hope they continue and progress in time intervals and regions  :)

A great disc with some exceptional and interesting compositions for the harpsichord by Händel, Telemann, Buxtehude, Mattheson, Böhm, Wekcmann, and Scheidemann. And the particular instrument used - by Anthony Sidey after an harpsichord made in Hamburg 1734, by Hieronymus Albrecht Hass - is more than worthy. :)

Q

KevinP

One of the best discs in my entire collection.

Bulldog

I don't think it's an issue of breaking the bank, just value for the funds expended.  To me, Graupner isn't worth $98 plus shipping costs.

The new erato

Quote from: Bulldog on December 31, 2009, 04:16:02 PM
I don't think it's an issue of breaking the bank, just value for the funds expended.  To me, Graupner isn't worth $98 plus shipping costs.
I guess that just shows how different we are. Me, I would rather have a Graupner disc than the umpteenth version of at Bach work I love and which is already thoroughly well represented on my shelf. No offense meant!

Que

Quote from: erato on January 01, 2010, 02:20:00 AM
I guess that just shows how different we are. Me, I would rather have a Graupner disc than the umpteenth version of at Bach work I love and which is already thoroughly well represented on my shelf. No offense meant!

FWIW I liked that Graupner disc and intend to explore further. His harpsichord music seems more interesting than for instance Buxtehude's (or Böhm's), just to give an impression of how I qualify it - not to turn Buxtehude down. :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on October 04, 2009, 10:30:22 AM
As far as I can see, the complete edition will take about 20 CDs, making the total cost $280.

Even $280 is not exactly bank account busting unless the account has only $500 in balance.    ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on January 01, 2010, 02:46:32 AM
FWIW I liked that Graupner disc and intend to explore further. His harpsichord music seems more interesting than for instance Buxtehude's (or Böhm's), just to give an impression of how I qualify it - not to turn Buxtehude down. :)

Q

Q, Erato;  Happy New Year. 

Same view here, I do not need to own EVERY version of Goldberg Variations or WTC out there and clearly do not believe every version out there for these works is worth collecting.  I am happy with already owning about at least 15 versions of each performed on either piano or harpsichord.  I strive to have as comprehensive a collection as it can be and may be able to source all the Graupner CD's at prices much better than they are now available on Amazon.  Most slow selling CD's eventually make their way to BRO, though it is not clear what postage to Europe may set you back if and when the Graupner CD's become available on BRO - Lets hope ...   ;D