German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: North Star on September 10, 2013, 01:22:55 AM
(Scheidemann's name I don't even recall seeing before, and haven't heard practically any Sweelinck  :-[)

I enjoyed listening to organ works by both, this lazy afternoon, from this disc:

[asin]B00003GPKK[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

North Star

Quote from: Opus106 on September 10, 2013, 06:04:12 AM
I enjoyed listening to organ works by both, this lazy afternoon, from this disc:
Looks nice, Nav!

There's also this recent (May) Weckmann release from Pierlot & Ricercar Consort, who, based on my limited experience are one of the very best German Baroque groups around.
[asin]B00B1VP2WI[/asin]
http://www.youtube.com/v/-12oJ6bLNaQ
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

This:

[asin]B00002EPMV[/asin]

...is in my wish-list at Europadisc. Has anyone heard it? Mostly keyboard pieces, interspersed with a few vocal works.

While I'm here, I might as well enquire about this Sweelinck:

[asin]B001RIGCCE[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: Sadko on October 09, 2013, 07:40:19 PM
Pachelbel

Hexachordum Apollinis

Marga Scheurich (harpsichord)

[asin]B0000268HP[/asin]

How is that? :)

EDIT: Is this an older recording (60's/'70s of the last century)? I'm listening to it at Youtube - rather nice but soo slow! :o :)

The music itself (listening to the Chaconne in F minor) is impressive.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 09, 2013, 09:20:17 PM

EDIT: Is this an older recording (60's/'70s of the last century)? I'm listening to it at Youtube - rather nice but soo slow! :o :)

Q

I'd be very interested to know if you find a better record of the complete Hexachordum Apollinis. I don't think that Chaconne is part of it -- it is indeed impressive.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sadko

Quote from: Que on October 09, 2013, 09:20:17 PM

Q

Well, if you have it on youtube you can judge for yourself. I like it very much, and the slowness doesn't put me off at all. I'm listening to "Sebaldina" again, to me the speed feels quite natural and fitting for an aria.

No the Chaconne is not part of it, but it's nice to have it too.

PS: Yes, it is from 1970.

It is available from here: http://www.bayermusicgroup.de/en/label/dacamera/daca77032.htm (6 Eur + postage)

PPS: Having reached the Chaconne again - I see your point now, but I still like it. The slowness gives it a more meditative or solemn character.

Que

Quote from: Sadko on October 09, 2013, 10:01:08 PM
Well, if you have it on youtube you can judge for yourself. I like it very much, and the slowness doesn't put me off at all. I'm listening to "Sebaldina" again, to me the speed feels quite natural and fitting for an aria.

No the Chaconne is not part of it, but it's nice to have it too.

PS: Yes, it is from 1970.

It is available from here: http://www.bayermusicgroup.de/en/label/dacamera/daca77032.htm (6 Eur + postage)

PPS: Having reached the Chaconne again - I see your point now, but I still like it. The slowness gives it a more meditative or solemn character.

Thank you, that is a steal! :)

Q

Mandryka

You know I'd never noticed that the F minor chaconne is the last track of that CD. I was knocked out  by Werner Jacobs playing it.

Ages ago now I uploaded this audience recording of a Leonhardt organ recital where he plays the Aria Sebaldina, it's still up and worth taking I think. It is an extremely moving performance.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5np36z898s13y

Gustav Leonhardt
Organ of Finnish St.Maria church, St.Petersburg (Martti Porthan, 2010)
Live recording, 15 September 2011

01 J.P.Sweelinck, Praeludium
02 Anonymous (Holland, ca.1625), "Windeken"
03 F.Correa de Arauxo, Tiento 54 (1626)
04 J.C.Kerll, Toccata di durezze e ligature
05 F.Couperin, Tierce en taille
06 A. van den Kerkhoven, Fantasia 131
07 A. van den Kerkhoven, Fantasia 132
08 J.A.Reinken, Toccata in g minor
09-11 J.Pachelbel, Three fugues
12 J.Pachelbel, Aria Sebaldina with variations (1699)
13 G.Boehm, "Christ lag in Todesbanden"
14 H.Purcell, "Crown the altar", ground
15 G.Muffat, Toccata 5 (1690)
16 --bis--

Unpublished recording.

What would be good now is if someone found a really exciting recording of the Magnificat fugues.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 10, 2013, 08:39:21 AM
You know I'd never noticed that the F minor chaconne is the last track of that CD. I was knocked out  by Werner Jacobs playing it.

It is generally considered an organ piece. I do not recall other harpsichord recordings of this piece than Scheurich´s. I think her slowpaced singing rather legato touch works remarcably well. Sometimes, as here, a deeply felt interpretation makes pedantic questions about historical accuracy irrelevant.

Quote from: Mandryka
Ages ago now I uploaded this audience recording of a Leonhardt organ recital where he plays the Aria Sebaldina, it's still up and worth taking I think. It is an extremely moving performance.

I deeply regret that I never have heard Leonhardt live. This performance makes one think, that his recordings aren´t but a pale reflection of his recitals.

Quote from: Mandryka
What would be good now is if someone found a really exciting recording of the Magnificat fugues.

There are 95 Magnificat fugues.A few of these are recorded by a few organists, Leonhardt among them. All the fugues are of course recorded in the two complete (about 11 CD each) Pachelbel sets (Payne/Centaur & Bouchard/Dorian). Both are horrible expensive. My experience with these two organists is unfavorable, so I have not investigated their Pachelbel sets for economic reasons. Franz Raml is embarking on a slowly progressing integrale for MDG, which includes harpsichord music and seems interesting, and the new Brilliant 5 CD volume I of the complete organ works may show to fullfill a need despite variable quality. If only Wolfgang Rübsam had completed his projected series.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Sadko

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 10, 2013, 01:06:56 PM
It is generally considered an organ piece. I do not recall other harpsichord recordings of this piece than Scheurich´s. I think her slowpaced singing rather legato touch works remarcably well. Sometimes, as here, a deeply felt interpretation makes pedantic questions about historical accuracy irrelevant.

Yes, that was what I liked about her performance, and made me prefer it over Payne's harpsichord CD.

QuoteThere are 95 Magnificat fugues.A few of these are recorded by a few organists, Leonhardt among them. All the fugues are of course recorded in the two complete (about 11 CD each) Pachelbel sets (Payne/Centaur & Bouchard/Dorian). Both are horrible expensive. My experience with these two organists is unfavorable, so I have not investigated their Pachelbel sets for economic reasons. Franz Raml is embarking on a slowly progressing integrale for MDG, which includes harpsichord music and seems interesting, and the new Brilliant 5 CD volume I of the complete organ works may show to fullfill a need despite variable quality. If only Wolfgang Rübsam had completed his projected series.

I too remember not being touched in any way by Bouchard's Pachelbel.

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Sadko

prémont

Quote from: Sadko on October 10, 2013, 02:36:43 PM
This one:

[asin]B00002642T[/asin]

I consider this to be one of Payne´s finest recordings, an important contribution to the sparse Pachelbel harpsichord works (particularly suite´s) discography. played with nice conviction, and generally Payne impresses me more as a harpsichordist than as an organist.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Sadko

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 10, 2013, 03:15:46 PM
I consider this to be one of Payne´s finest recordings, an important contribution to the sparse Pachelbel harpsichord works (particularly suite´s) discography. played with nice conviction, and generally Payne impresses me more as a harpsichordist than as an organist.

I don't own that CD, so I can't listen to it again to give more specific reasons.

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 10, 2013, 01:06:56 PM

Probably the music will sound quite different once the new bunch of the likes of Frisch, Meyerson or Stella try their hands on it. But I agree - the Scheurich sounds very nice as it is, it's on the shopping list. :)

BTW I just hope the pejorative term "pedantic" wasn't used with me in mind, since that would be uncalled for. I didn't question in the historical accuracy of the recording. Noting that the interpretation is on the slow side is an observation of a factual nature. It is not far fetched to assume a relation with the age of the interpretation, since present day fashion is generally different. Whether that would be more or less historically accurate, is something I wouldn't know and will gladly leave up to the experts... I just have and follow my personal preferences in these matters and trust that nobody will take offense... ::)

I found one other performance on the harpsichord:

AmazonFR

QuoteThere are 95 Magnificat fugues.A few of these are recorded by a few organists, Leonhardt among them. All the fugues are of course recorded in the two complete (about 11 CD each) Pachelbel sets (Payne/Centaur & Bouchard/Dorian). Both are horrible expensive. My experience with these two organists is unfavorable, so I have not investigated their Pachelbel sets for economic reasons. Franz Raml is embarking on a slowly progressing integrale for MDG, which includes harpsichord music and seems interesting, and the new Brilliant 5 CD volume I of the complete organ works may show to fullfill a need despite variable quality. If only Wolfgang Rübsam had completed his projected series.

You guys het me all excited about Pachebel's organ music! :) I did notice the Franz Raml recordings on MDG, sounds quite nice. Rübsam's series would be on Naxos, I presume? Just vol. 1 so far...

Any thoughts about this set, which did strike me as possibly interesting?

AmazonUS   jpc   samples at allmusic

The instruments that organist Andrus Madsen chose for this recording are the Austrian 1634 Andreas Putz organ, repaired and expanded in 1708 by Johann Christoph Egedacher, and finally restored in 1989 by Reil of the Netherlands. The German 1652 Ludwig Compenius organ, altered in the 1750s and eventually rebuilt by Rühle Orgelbau in 2000. The German 1735 Gottfried Silbermann organ, restored as recently as 2007 by the Jehmlich Orgelbau and Orgelwerkstatt Wegscheider firms of Dresden. A 1990 "ravalement" style Flemish Double Harpsichord built by Robert Hicks, and a 1974 Christopher Clarke Double-Fretted Clavichord.

Q

Octave

Since this thread is bumped up and Que mentioned a relevant recording in the Listening thread, I am keen to find some choice recordings of Buxtehude cantatas.  Namely curious about this recent reissue of ~1987 recordings by the Ricercar Consort:

[asin]B000PFUBBS[/asin]

Also interested in any other very fine recordings of these works.  I searched this thread but found little discussion aside from a brief flare of appreciation from ~2007.
There's an Immerseel disc on Channel that also sounded good, based on very brief samples. 

I don't know the works at all, aside from the masterpiece MEMBRA JESU NOSTRI.  I am impatiently awaiting my second recording of that piece/cycle/collection (Junghanel's) after falling in love with Fasolis' recording.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

71 dB

Quote from: Opus106 on September 13, 2013, 11:00:24 PM
This:

[asin]B00002EPMV[/asin]

...is in my wish-list at Europadisc. Has anyone heard it? Mostly keyboard pieces, interspersed with a few vocal works.

I bought that disc some time ago. I find the performances of vocal works a bit slow for my taste. Nothing else to complain.

Quote from: Octave on October 11, 2013, 12:38:03 AM
Since this thread is bumped up and Que mentioned a relevant recording in the Listening thread, I am keen to find some choice recordings of Buxtehude cantatas.  Namely curious about this recent reissue of ~1987 recordings by the Ricercar Consort:

[asin]B000PFUBBS[/asin]

Also interested in any other very fine recordings of these works.  I searched this thread but found little discussion aside from a brief flare of appreciation from ~2007.
There's an Immerseel disc on Channel that also sounded good, based on very brief samples. 

I don't know the works at all, aside from the masterpiece MEMBRA JESU NOSTRI.  I am impatiently awaiting my second recording of that piece/cycle/collection (Junghanel's) after falling in love with Fasolis' recording.

That Ricercar twofer is good.

Immerseel's disc on Channel Classics is perhaps my favorite Buxtehude cantata disc.

Fasoli's Membra Jesu Nostri on Naxos is absolutely brilliant. I haven't heard Junghanel's version.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: North Star on September 13, 2013, 03:28:26 PM
Looks nice, Nav!

There's also this recent (May) Weckmann release from Pierlot & Ricercar Consort, who, based on my limited experience are one of the very best German Baroque groups around.
[asin]B00B1VP2WI[/asin]

At least Pierlot & Ricercar Consort's disc "De Profundis" (cantatas by Bruhns, Becker, Tunder, Buxtehude and J.C.Bach) is very very good. I think the Weckmann is a must...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

prémont

Quote from: Opus106 on September 13, 2013, 11:00:24 PM

While I'm here, I might as well enquire about this Sweelinck:

[asin]B001RIGCCE[/asin]

Wooley is an academic and reliable musician, also in this release, and I think it is well worth to own the CD.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Que on October 10, 2013, 11:26:53 PM
Probably the music will sound quite different once the new bunch of the likes of Frisch, Meyerson or Stella try their hands on it. But I agree - the Scheurich sounds very nice as it is, it's on the shopping list. :)

BTW I just hope the pejorative term "pedantic" wasn't used with me in mind, since that would be uncalled for. I didn't question in the historical accuracy of the recording. Noting that the interpretation is on the slow side is an observation of a factual nature. It is not far fetched to assume a relation with the age of the interpretation, since present day fashion is generally different. Whether that would be more or less historically accurate, is something I wouldn't know and will gladly leave up to the experts... I just have and follow my personal preferences in these matters and trust that nobody will take offense... ::)

I found one other performance on the harpsichord:

AmazonFR

Any thoughts about this set, which did strike me as possibly interesting?

Of course the word "pedantic" was not written with you in mind. It wasn´t but a general (rhetoric) consideration. And never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that you might feel it intended for you.

Huguette Gremy-Chauliac is an outstanding musician, judged from her Dieupart suites and the two other recordings of hers I own (lesser known Händel suites and suites by L. Couperin). But mp3 download isn´t exactly me.

I do not know the Andrus Madsen double CD, but as late as yesterday I put it on my wishlist and shall acquire it within foreseeable time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν