Good day

Started by Beale, May 31, 2012, 09:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beale

G'day from a music fan downunder. I have been collecting classical CD at a small scale for over ten years, but I am still very much a beginner. I don't play an instrument, so this music is very daunting for me. All I can rely on is repeated listening and my own instincts. I like going to live concerts and reading about classical music, and this site seems like the prefect place to learn.

I mostly enjoyed the music of Beethoven, Shostakovitch, Schubert, JS Bach, some Tchaikovsky and Mozart. In case someone ask, I am learning about Mahler's music. I found his symphonies 1, 4 and 5 more appealing.

North Star

Quote from: Beale on May 31, 2012, 09:33:34 AMIn case someone ask

;D

Welcome, Beale.

Your favorites are among my favourites, too (along with Bartók, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, Janacek, Prokofiev, Ravel, Sibelius, Stravinsky)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Welcome, and g'day to you!

Quote from: Beale on May 31, 2012, 09:33:34 AM
I mostly enjoyed the music of Beethoven, Shostakovitch, Schubert, JS Bach, some Tchaikovsky and Mozart.

I like that list!  What's some of your favorite Shostakovich?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Beale

Quote from: karlhenning on May 31, 2012, 10:10:17 AM
Welcome, and g'day to you!

I like that list!  What's some of your favorite Shostakovich?

Thank you. My favorite Shostakovich are his symphonies 10 and 7, violin concerto 1, and piano concerto 2. I am also trying some of his chamber stuff, like the string quartets, preludes and fugues for solo piano.

North Star

I recommend the Piano Trio no. 2.

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll have a nice time here! :)
Beautiful list, those composers you mentioned are among my favourites as well! Glad to hear you're learning about Mahler's music, apart from symphonies No.1, No.4 and No.5, also the 6th and the 9th are highly recommended. :)

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: Beale on May 31, 2012, 10:25:14 AM
My favorite Shostakovich are his symphonies 10 and 7

(* pounds the table *)

The Tenth has been a favorite of mine, ever since the Cleveland Orchestra played it at my undergrad college.

and I love the Leningrad, which I think is unfairly maligned in some quarters.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bhodges

Hello, Beale, and welcome. Hope you enjoy yourself here. (And another Shostakovich fan here, too - of Nos. 10 and 7 as well - as well as some of the other composers you mention.)

--Bruce

Conor71

Welcome Beale from another Aussie on the forum :) - Great Avatar, one of my favourite Australian movies! Enjoy yourself here!.

Beale

Quote from: Conor71 on May 31, 2012, 11:07:17 AM
Welcome Beale from another Aussie on the forum :) - Great Avatar, one of my favourite Australian movies! Enjoy yourself here!.

The use of the Emperor concerto slow movement in the film was absolutely haunting. Unfortunately I couldn't find out the pianist or recording used. There was no mention in the end credit.

Hollywood

G'day Beale! Greetings from a Yankee living in Beethoven's Vienna. Welcome to the forum.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Wanderer

Hello and welcome!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Welcome! I hope you find on this forum what you need! :)

Beale

Quote from: North Star on May 31, 2012, 10:30:41 AM
I recommend the Piano Trio no. 2.

Thank you for the tip. I was not aware of this work.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Beale on June 01, 2012, 05:15:03 AM
Thank you for the tip. I was not aware of this work.

It is marvelous; I should especially recommend Martha Argerich, Gidon Kremer & Mischa Maisky!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on June 01, 2012, 05:18:47 AM
It is marvelous; I should especially recommend Martha Argerich, Gidon Kremer & Mischa Maisky!
Indeed - available here:
[asin]B003W16TBS[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Beale

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 31, 2012, 10:33:39 AM
Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll have a nice time here! :)
Beautiful list, those composers you mentioned are among my favourites as well! Glad to hear you're learning about Mahler's music, apart from symphonies No.1, No.4 and No.5, also the 6th and the 9th are highly recommended. :)

Ilaria

Thanks. Which recording do you recommend for the 6th and the 9th?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Beale on June 01, 2012, 05:28:16 AM
Thanks. Which recording do you recommend for the 6th and the 9th?

Bernstein for the 6th and Karajan for the 9th.

Anyway, I think in general it's rather hard to beat Bernstein in Mahler's music, his interpretations are absolutely beautiful.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

TheGSMoeller

Greetings, and welcome!

Picnic at Hanging Rock, great film.  ;D

Conor71

Quote from: Beale on June 01, 2012, 07:03:20 AM
The use of the Emperor concerto slow movement in the film was absolutely haunting. Unfortunately I couldn't find out the pianist or recording used. There was no mention in the end credit.

Yes great choice of music for sure - I agree it would have been nice to know the performers. My favourite performance of this piece is by Kempff/Leitner :)

>