New Jazz Releases

Started by San Antone, September 14, 2012, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

[asin]B00LM9IWGM[/asin]

Purchased both.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

torut

Harmolodic Monk (2014)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LHK7MGC

Matt Lavelle (cornet, flugelhorn, alto clarinet) & John Pietaro (vibraphone, bodhrán, congas, percussion) play Monk's tunes based on Ornette Coleman's Harmolodic Theory. Intimate and direct.

Harmolodic Monk - at Dissident Art Festival - El Taller, NYC - Aug 16 2014
https://www.youtube.com/v/82y703SdUvI

torut

Ernst Reijseger - Crystal Palace
http://www.ernstreijseger.com/2014-crystal-palace/
Sound and color: A thrilling experiment, with Ernst Reijseger's music not being played after a score but according to the colours of Jerry Zeniuk. The music »Crystal Palace« is inspired by the colors of Jerry Zeniuk: Sound pictures at an exhibition.
[asin]B00JU5DGZM[/asin]

The latest solo cello album of Reijseger is more adventurous and freer than the previous one, and still the melancholic lyricism is always there.

Jerry Zeniuk
http://www.bernhardknaus-art.de/Jerry_Zeniuk_E.html

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just picked up a Hiromi CD from Amazon. Heard this on KCSM tonight--wonderful stuff.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Henk

toledobass

Quote from: Henk on June 26, 2014, 10:40:42 AM
Now playing, love it as well! Reminds me a bit of Erimaj - Conflict of a man. Maybe you like that as well.

Henk,

I need a late pass for this response, but yes I do like that album as well.  I like what that whole group of musicians is doing.  A big lean towards hip hop but it is woven into and integrated into the texture as if it was part of the language at all times.  Have you checked out Next Collective? 

Allan

Henk

I know of the existence of that band, but didn't check it. Probably will do!

toledobass

It's all those same guys....very cool album.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Henk on October 24, 2014, 03:06:58 AM
Like her work too!

Yes, thanks--actually it was your post that brought her to my attention (and wow, she's cute!). When KCSM played a track from this CD, and I looked on the playlist to see who it was, I was instantly reminded of your post.

Henk

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 24, 2014, 01:06:13 PM
Yes, thanks--actually it was your post that brought her to my attention (and wow, she's cute!). When KCSM played a track from this CD, and I looked on the playlist to see who it was, I was instantly reminded of your post.

OK, cool. Check out Orrin Evans as well. "Faith in Action" and "It was Beauty" are amazing recordings.

toledobass

I've been listening to Melissa Aldana & Crash Trio's new album. 

Henk

Quote from: toledobass on October 24, 2014, 04:32:28 AM
It's all those same guys....very cool album.

I listened to it. Indeed good stuff. Christian Scott, the trumpeter is included here. I find his compositions a bit depressing however. However, this one is also a very good recording by him (double recording):

[asin]B007VP6Z1K[/asin]

(As I said, somewhat on the depressive side.)

Henk

My expectations for this one are high.

Henk

[asin]B00M31V4QI[/asin]
[asin]B00F23SSXG[/asin]

The Corea (3cd) has got very good reviews. The other one is lesser known.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I liked the first Christian Scott CD I bought a few years ago a great deal. I didn't realize he had gone all Kunta-Kinte recently. Will have to check out this release you posted. Coung Vu is another very talented young trumpeter in a somewhat similar style, also veering quite a bit into free jazz.

Just picked up my first Gretchen Parlato CD. I like her songs on the radio, and I like her voice well enough, but this CD seems to take a bit of getting used to. Maybe she is an acquired taste--at least for more than two songs in a row.

Henk

XB-70

This is a very good album as well, very relaxed stuff:

[asin]B00GZ0NQUK[/asin]

toledobass

I've listened to him a bit and can't seem to get behind him.  I don't know, his tone isn't particularly interesting, and I find his note choices and phrasing to lead me nowhere.  I can take one or the other but not both together.  I will give it another go though!

A

Quote from: Henk on October 30, 2014, 01:59:44 AM
I listened to it. Indeed good stuff. Christian Scott, the trumpeter is included here. I find his compositions a bit depressing however. However, this one is also a very good recording by him (double recording):

[asin]B007VP6Z1K[/asin]

(As I said, somewhat on the depressive side.)

toledobass

I do like this album.  Excellent grooves that  I love to listen to.  I like his song writing and arranging, and am interested in how he develops as a soloist as his career progresses.

Quote from: Henk on November 09, 2014, 09:45:31 PM
XB-70

This is a very good album as well, very relaxed stuff:

[asin]B00GZ0NQUK[/asin]