Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

The perceived Boegner jog, including a final stage of exhilaration ;) : finish---!

http://www.youtube.com/v/o5AICmEp5MY

Yes, there is anxiety, desire, madness, horror... in this performance, maybe making it too dark for Warsaw Chopin Society. :) I guess this makes superb background music though if one feels like going for a lone/long drive in the country.  Can be at night. 

ps. Dang Thai Son has recorded a similar programme of nocturnes on a modern instrument for the same label's 'white' series.
Would be interesting to see if he merely went through the same moves on a Steinway or Yamaha keyboard. 

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bogey

Quote from: Holden on January 20, 2011, 11:24:11 PM
Watch this - from her Chopin Competition recital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9MvizSf78&playnext=1&list=PL33FED512C8EEA1D5&index=17

I don't know how to post the actual Youtube video

Wonderful stuff, Holden.

Just got back from the record shop.  For $2 I grabbed this 6-Eyed Columbia vinyl pressing:

Spinning it now and really enjoying it.  The mono sound is superb.

:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: George on January 20, 2011, 06:36:37 PM
Most men would be happy to be stuck with Argerich, especially ca. 1961.  0:)

Yeah, Martha was a real hot number back then ...    ;D

Bogey

Just grabbed these four....27 bones:

[asin]B000056VUR[/asin]    

Thanks, George for the info on the APR releases....that first one goes for a mint.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Here is my latest acquisition for my Chopin collection ...

Bogey

.....this:

Polonaise 1-6 in mono.

George

Nice, Bill! What year(s) are those?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Quote from: George on July 09, 2011, 06:50:18 PM
Nice, Bill! What year(s) are those?

Been trying to find that out.  I am guessing '50-'51 buddy.  Does that sound right?  His first run of these was '35-'36.  Too clear for that.  Old vinyl hardly ever has the recording dates. :-\

kishnevi

Quote from: Bogey on July 09, 2011, 06:53:43 PM
Been trying to find that out.  I am guessing '50-'51 buddy.  Does that sound right?  His first run of these was '35-'36.  Too clear for that.  Old vinyl hardly ever has the recording dates. :-\

He recorded them in 1934-5 for EMI, in 1950-51 for RCA in mono--that's the one you have there--and in 1964 for RCA in stereo.    I have the EMI and the RCA stereo recordings (the liner notes gave me these dates), but not the RCA mono.   Is the mono actually worth looking for, seeing as how I have the other two?  I'm a completist, but not necessarily that bad of a completist.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on July 09, 2011, 06:53:43 PM

Bill,  Vinyl pressed in the 50's and 60's are noticeably thicker and heavier than those pressed in the 70's and later.  I took some 1960's DG recordings from my parents a few months ago and have noticed the difference.

George

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 09, 2011, 07:13:39 PM
He recorded them in 1934-5 for EMI, in 1950-51 for RCA in mono--that's the one you have there--and in 1964 for RCA.    I have the EMI and the RCA stereo recordings, but not the RCA mono.   Is the mono actually worth looking for, seeing as how I have the other two?  I'm a completist, but not necessarily that bad of a completist.

I have read that the first two recordings were the better ones, especially the second one. In the Nocturnes and the Mazurkas I much prefer the earlier mono sets to the later stereo one. 

kishnevi

Quote from: George on July 09, 2011, 07:19:27 PM
I have read that the first two recordings were the better ones, especially the second one. In the Nocturnes and the Mazurkas I much prefer the earlier mono sets to the later stereo one.

I have the EMI Icon box with all his EMI Chopin recordings, and for most of them the mono gets in the way of my enjoying them, especially the concertos.   The 1965 Nocturnes is probably my favorite recording of those pieces, period.

George

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 09, 2011, 07:26:17 PM
I have the EMI Icon box with all his EMI Chopin recordings, and for most of them the mono gets in the way of my enjoying them, especially the concertos.   The 1965 Nocturnes is probably my favorite recording of those pieces, period.

I am glad he recorded them three times, for we each have a favorite set as a result.  :)

My favorite for the Nocturnes remains Arrau.

Bogey

For me, and speaking in generalities, the earlier the Rubinstein Chopin the more I enjoy it. 

DieNacht

QuoteFor me, and speaking in generalities, the earlier the Rubinstein Chopin the more I enjoy it. 

totally agree, in fact as regards most of the composers he played. It is remarkable how he changed his style gradually, from the Horowitzian fury of the 30s into something far more subdued. But one could say that the same about Klemperer, Arrau and Serkin ...

Papy Oli

A forthcoming re-release of a Moravec/Chopin CD :

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//SU40592.htm

Previous incarnation :

[asin]B000001Q8O[/asin]
Olivier

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2011, 10:56:24 AM
A forthcoming re-release of a Moravec/Chopin CD :

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//SU40592.htm

Previous incarnation :

[asin]B000001Q8O[/asin]

The Mazurkas on that CD are very good
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Picked up a new/used copy of Katsaris's Polonaises on SONY. Sure wish he'd cut his fingernails prior to recording this.  >:(

prémont

Quote from: DieNacht on July 09, 2011, 11:46:56 PM
totally agree, in fact as regards most of the composers he played. It is remarkable how he changed his style gradually, from the Horowitzian fury of the 30s into something far more subdued. But one could say that the same about Klemperer, Arrau and Serkin ...

This may be a natural consequence of aging. They turned rather old all of them.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on April 04, 2010, 10:09:34 PMI strongly recommend a disc in [Horowitz's] GPE Vol. 3 which has a selection of Mazurkas, Etudes and Preludes, selected from his entire career.

Since I bought a few more RCA "Horowitz plays Chopin" CDs today, I wanted to see how many of the performances appeared on the GPOTC set you recommended. Using the Horowitz discography site, I just did a bit of detective work on those performances. There are 24 Chopin tracks in all. Tracks 2-9 appear on a 2CD Pearl set that I had already. Tracks 10, 11 and 16 appear on RCA's "Horowitz Plays Chopin, Vol. 2." Tracks 18-23 appear on RCA's "Horowitz Plays Chopin, Vol. 3." That just leaves 1, 12-15, 17 and 24:

Track 01 - Barcarolle in F-sharp major, Op. 60 - rec. 23 February 1957 at Town Hall
CD: RCA Victor GD 60463; Philips 456 841-2; Naxos 8.111282; Sony COJC vol. 22 

Track 12 - Etude in C-sharp minor, Op. 25 No. 7, rec. live at Symphony Hall, Boston, 13 April 1980
CD: RCA Victor GD87752; RCA 74321 63471-2; Philips 456 841-2; Sony COJC vol. 37

Track 13 - Etude in G-flat major, Op. 10 No. 5 (Black Key), rec. live at Avery Fisher Hall, N.Y., 4 May 1980
CD: RCA Victor GD87752; Philips 456 841-2, Sony COJC vol. 37

Track 14 - Mazurka in B-flat minor, Op. 24 No. 4, rec. live at Carnegie Hall, 5 March 1951
CD: RCA GD 60463; Philips 456 841-2; Sony COJC vol. 21 & 68

Track 15 - Mazurka in B minor, Op. 30 No. 2, rec. live at Carnegie Hall, 28 March 1945
CD: RCA 09026 62643 2; Philips 456 841-2; Sony COJC vol. 60

Track 17 - Mazurka in D-flat major, Op. 30 No. 3, rec. 28 December 1949
CD: RCA Victor 09026 60986 2; Philips 456 841-2; Sony COJC vol. 4

Track 24 - Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53 (Heroic), rec. 6 October 1945
CD: RCA Victor GD87755; RCA 74321 63471-2; Philips 456 841-2; Aura Music AUR 231-2; Sony COJC vol. 7

QuoteAlso his Op. 44 Polonaise in F#-minor and the Introduction & Rondo in E-flat major, Op.16.

Can you give me the dates of these performances?