Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 09, 2011, 07:13:39 PM
He recorded them in 1934-5 for EMI, in 1950-51 for RCA in mono--that's the one you have there--and in 1964 for RCA in stereo.    I have the EMI and the RCA stereo recordings (the liner notes gave me these dates), but not the RCA mono.  Is the mono actually worth looking for, seeing as how I have the other two?  I'm a completist, but not necessarily that bad of a completist.

Yup.  I will be trying to complete this run on vinyl....and probably cd too. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mandryka

Quote from: George on July 23, 2011, 12:00:23 PM

Can you give me the dates of these performances?

The Op 44 is from a 1968 TV concert.  The Op 16 is from 1976 at Pasadena College, on yourube.

http://www.youtube.com/v/gnFXbSqqhVw

Have you heard the Horowitz Hexameron on youtube? It's not at all bad. Is it on CD?

http://www.youtube.com/v/nlDlc34cW1Q
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on July 23, 2011, 09:36:59 PM
The Op 44 is from a 1968 TV concert.  The Op 16 is from 1976 at Pasadena College, on yourube.

http://www.youtube.com/v/gnFXbSqqhVw

Thanks!

QuoteHave you heard the Horowitz Hexameron on youtube? It's not at all bad. Is it on CD?

http://www.youtube.com/v/nlDlc34cW1Q

No, I haven't heard it. And no, it doesn't appear to be on CD: http://vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_34_Alphabetical-L-Z.html
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on July 23, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

Morning Bill.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried digitizing any of your vinyls?  I would like to start on that project at some point ...

Bogey

No I have not, Stuart.  I have so much on cd now that I will probably never get to it all again so I keep the vinyl separate and enjoy it more as am entirety of playing the album, looking at the cover, etc.  Doubt that I ever will.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

George

Quote from: Bogey on July 23, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

On CD you'll want the Rubinstein Collection masterings.

I think that I read that the entire set will be reissued at budget price! Though I am not sure when that will happen.

Holden

Quote from: George on July 29, 2011, 05:26:08 AM
On CD you'll want the Rubinstein Collection masterings.

I think that I read that the entire set will be reissued at budget price! Though I am not sure when that will happen.
[asin]B000026OW3[/asin]
It already has been - can't get cheaper than this!
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on July 29, 2011, 03:43:54 PM
[asin]B000026OW3[/asin]
It already has been - can't get cheaper than this!

Hey Holden,

Bogey was referring to the mono Rubinstein Chopin recordings (which I also prefer to his later stereo recordings in the box you pictured.)

kishnevi

Well, EMI has done its part.
[asin]B0032700TY[/asin]

You just need to raise a clamor with RCA.

George

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 29, 2011, 07:20:34 PM
Well, EMI has done its part.

Perhaps, but EMI is the last place I would look for any historical releases. The Rubinstein collection wasn't subjected to the noise reduction that EMI is famous for.

Clever Hans

Quote from: George on July 30, 2011, 04:26:45 AM
Perhaps, but EMI is the last place I would look for any historical releases. The Rubinstein collection wasn't subjected to the noise reduction that EMI is famous for.

Yes, the Rubinstein collection has some of the best sound for historical recordings that I have heard.

I also much prefer his earlier mono sets of the Mazurkas, Nocturnes, and Polonaises, both 30s and 50s, and the 50s mono Waltz set. The middle period is a nice compromise for when one prefers a less Romantic or Polski sound.  In terms of music criticism, his reputation as a chopin interpreter would seem to stem from Gramophone reviews that began with his early recordings, which sound very different. I find the reviews of the stereo recordings pretty lazy and too full of reverence.

It's a shame most people know Rubinstein through his later more studied stereo recordings.

In terms of subtle authority and wise aristocratic playing style, Moriz Rosenthal did it more naturally, and by many accounts he was the greatest pianist of his age, in his prime perhaps even better than his teacher Liszt.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on July 29, 2011, 04:04:28 AM
No I have not, Stuart.  I have so much on cd now that I will probably never get to it all again so I keep the vinyl separate and enjoy it more as am entirety of playing the album, looking at the cover, etc.  Doubt that I ever will.

With a little over 4000 LP's on classical music, it is just a very daunting task to digitize them all.  But with my CD collection closing in on 5000, I find myself ever less likely to turn to my LP collection.

George

Quote from: Clever Hans on July 30, 2011, 08:32:12 AM
Yes, the Rubinstein collection has some of the best sound for historical recordings that I have heard.

I also much prefer his earlier mono sets of the Mazurkas, Nocturnes, and Polonaises, both 30s and 50s, and the 50s mono Waltz set. The middle period is a nice compromise for when one prefers a less Romantic or Polski sound.  In terms of music criticism, his reputation as a chopin interpreter would seem to stem from Gramophone reviews that began with his early recordings, which sound very different. I find the reviews of the stereo recordings pretty lazy and too full of reverence.

It's a shame most people know Rubinstein through his later more studied stereo recordings.

I agree, though many love them, so it can't be such a bad thing.

QuoteIn terms of subtle authority and wise aristocratic playing style, Moriz Rosenthal did it more naturally, and by many accounts he was the greatest pianist of his age, in his prime perhaps even better than his teacher Liszt.

Yes, Rosenthal is something very special. A few years back I tracked down all of his recordings on CD (2 on Biddulph, 2 on Pearl and a 2CD set on APR.) I treasure these CDs.

kishnevi

Quote from: George on July 30, 2011, 04:26:45 AM

I don't doubt that there are better remasterings, but the only works which I would describe as having bad sonics in that set are the concertos.

Bogey

I like this guy's touch....

You feeling me, George?

George

Quote from: Bogey on August 06, 2011, 08:14:30 AM

You feeling me, George?

100% I was spinnin' some early Moiseiwitsch myself just the other day. He was a special pianist.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on August 06, 2011, 08:14:30 AM

You feeling me, George?

I have the same recordings (I think) on Naxos Historical  reconstructed/remastered by Ward Marston ...

Mandryka

This is a new Alexis Weissenberg recital CD .

The Chopin playing is very alive and spontaneous. Of course there's no  fudge and treacle.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

I was surprised that I enjoyed his ^ 2 CD set on EMI of Chopin. Right now I am trying to curtail CD buying, but I'll keep that one in mind.