Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I thought I'd listen to some Barcarolles, largely because a friend  mentioned Gieseking's and I'd forgotten about it. And yes he paints a very beautiful picture postcard of a boat on the water. I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed a late one from Cortot, in Vol 3 of the APR series - it really does feel like he's sight reading it in your living room. Mistakes, but I don't care.

The big surprise was Pletnev's recording. No picture postcard, that performance. This is great pianism: Pletnev can communicate stuff which matters, and he has ideas of his own about the music. What a loss it would be if he's stopped performing and recording solo piano music.

The whole experience has made me realise how much I  despise impressionism in music. I think that it is a move in the wrong direction: music is an interesting art form precisely when it isn't a representation of the external world.  In Op 60  I feel that Pletnev and Sofronitsky are deeper just because they don't paint an external image -- whatever Chopin's intentions may have been, or whatever the performance traditions are.

Here's the Pletnev I like so much

http://www.youtube.com/v/KKp7NtDueOY

And here's the  Gieseking, which I would say is shallower.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Kfx4kG9qCnU

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

This site brings up some very interesting contenders for the Barcarolle

http://www.forte-piano-pianissimo.com/ChopinBarcarolle.html
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on September 18, 2011, 01:01:42 AM
This site brings up some very interesting contenders for the Barcarolle

http://www.forte-piano-pianissimo.com/ChopinBarcarolle.html

Thanks -- the Pouishnoff is epic and completely new to me. This is a pianist to explore I suspect -- there's quite a bit on youtube.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Clever Hans

Holden

I've already purchased this on preorder - like the rest of you I can't wait to hear this recording!
Cheers

Holden

Holden

Thanks to Naxos Music Library I got to listen to this last night. I think that Sudbin is one of the best of the new pianists around nowadays and eagerly await all his new recordings. I'm afraid I was underwhelmed with the whole CD.

We've talked in previous posts about being able to 'play' Chopin and it's a skill that some pianists have and others don't. Sudbin just doesn't appear to understand how to play Chopin. He plays the music very simply without trying to overdo the rubato and it's a style with Chopin that I like but it just doesn't resonate with me.

For those who have access to NML/COL/MOG have alisten and say what you think
Cheers

Holden

Dancing Divertimentian

Momo Kodama's Chopin recital is one of those discs that comes along every once in a while which instantly separates itself from the rest of the pack.

Recognizable is a distinct musical personality with startlingly fresh ideas and integrity to burn.

Interesting to me is her appearance: waif-like, innocent, pensive. Interesting because it stands in direct opposition to her playing: bold, penetrating, with big, sweeping gestures. This is not limp Chopin. But neither is it overblown (not by a long shot). She simply knows how to plug into the romantic, troubled heart of the music, giving it a strong, confident feel. Her's is not the salon-esk variety of Chopin, thankfully.   

Yes, it's an expensive disc but forget it. MP prices are more reasonable, however.

[asin]B0013GBD9W[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mn Dave

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 06, 2011, 10:00:38 AM
Momo Kodama's Chopin recital is one of those discs that comes along every once in a while which instantly separates itself from the rest of the pack.

Recognizable is a distinct musical personality with startlingly fresh ideas and integrity to burn.

Interesting to me is her appearance: waif-like, innocent, pensive. Interesting because it stands in direct opposition to her playing: bold, penetrating, with big, sweeping gestures. This is not limp Chopin. But neither is it overblown (not by a long shot). She simply knows how to plug into the romantic, troubled heart of the music, giving it a strong, confident feel. Her's is not the salon-esk variety of Chopin, thankfully.   

Yes, it's an expensive disc but forget it. MP prices are more reasonable, however.

Hm. Same pieces here on Spotify.

Different cover?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 19, 2011, 06:20:09 PM
Hm. Same pieces here on Spotify.

Different cover?

Did a little searching.

Both labels, Exton and Triton, apparently belong to the same parent company, Octavia Records Inc. Though I can't tell what distinguishes one label from the other or why the interchangeability. 

What do think of the performances?

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mn Dave

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 19, 2011, 09:08:55 PM
Did a little searching.

Both labels, Exton and Triton, apparently belong to the same parent company, Octavia Records Inc. Though I can't tell what distinguishes one label from the other or why the interchangeability. 

What do think of the performances?

I didn't get a chance to listen yet. This disc can me sampled in mp3 format on Amazon, if you're curious.

Drasko

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 06, 2011, 10:00:38 AM

When was that recorded? I hazily remember Sidoze being wildly enthusiastic abut her Chopin, especially 3rd Scherzo, if I'm not mistaken, but that was at least five or six years ago.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 20, 2011, 03:50:42 AM
I didn't get a chance to listen yet. This disc can me sampled in mp3 format on Amazon, if you're curious.

No, I already have it. It's the bee's knees. I though my posting about it piqued your curiosity about the disc.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Drasko on October 20, 2011, 04:33:24 AM
When was that recorded? I hazily remember Sidoze being wildly enthusiastic abut her Chopin, especially 3rd Scherzo, if I'm not mistaken, but that was at least five or six years ago.

Ah, yes, here's the discussion.

The disc was recorded in October, 2003.

Mn Dave

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 20, 2011, 09:36:52 AM
No, I already have it. It's the bee's knees. I though my posting about it piqued your curiosity about the disc.

I meant if you were curious about the discs being the same. Yes, your post piqued it. I hope to listen soon.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 20, 2011, 09:45:54 AM
I meant if you were curious about the discs being the same. Yes, your post piqued it. I hope to listen soon.

:)

Drasko

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 20, 2011, 09:43:11 AM

Aha, so it's the same recital as was discussed back then. Thanks. Can't recall what were my thoughts on it but most likely I still have a copy of of the disc somewhere, need to dig.

Holden

My copy of the Pollini Etudes on Testament has arrived and I'm listening to it now.

(Why no image tool?)

The DG Etudes that Pollini recorded have often been described as cold and somewhat unmusical and I can see where this came from. I must admit that when I heard them for the first time I went wow, this is amazing piano playing and even by today's standards it still is but when I compare it to the likes of Ashkenazy, Cortot and Anievas I can see where these pianists bring out the musical aspects of these works in far more detail than Pollini.

The first impression of this earlier performance is clarity. You can hear both hands and the way that Pollini gives emphasis to whichever one he chooses. The second impression is of facility, these pieces don't sound hard to play, they don't sound like the virtuoso works that they actually are. You are very aware of this in Pollini's DG recording. The third thing that strikes me is the lack of oversentimentality that we are used to in so many Chopin recordings. Op10/3 is played simply as it is written. There are no overdrawn pauses between phrases, no obvious use of rubato (though it is definitely there). I hear similarities in approach to the few etudes that Solomon recorded.

My first listen has me favouring Op 25 over Op 10. I was happy to skip through a couple of tracks in Op 10 but when I came to Op 25 I listened to it without wanting to skip over anything. I've now gone back to Op 10 for a more detailed listen and maybe I've been unfair to the initial opus but timw will tell.

Finally, I realise that I am listening to an 18 year old and this just blows me away. This is certainly much better than Pollini's DG recital and I would heartily recommend it. If I had one small criticism it would be that maybe the pianist could have used a slightly wider range of dynamics though maybe this is down to the recording engineer. I'll listen to Ashkenazy (Moscow 1960) later to make some comparisons. I am really glad that I bought this recording.
Cheers

Holden

Peregrine

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 20, 2011, 09:43:11 AM

Those were the days! Still haven't purchased the Kadama disc, but then Chopin has been off my radar for quite some time. Perhaps this will re-ignite my enthusiasm...

The Pollini disc also sounds very exciting. Thanks for the write up, Holden.
Yes, we have no bananas

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Peregrine on October 24, 2011, 05:21:16 AM
Still haven't purchased the Kadama disc, but then Chopin has been off my radar for quite some time. Perhaps this will re-ignite my enthusiasm...

She'll definitely make you listen to this music with fresh ears, something a great artist ought to be able to do.