Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: ccar on January 14, 2012, 03:13:31 PM
There are a number of studio and live recordings of the Waltzes by Cziffra. The Philips 1962 (1-14) and the EMI 1958/61/74/77/78 (1-19; also some isolated versions of Op.64 No.1 & 2) – these studio recordings were all included in the EMI-France 40CD edition. And there are also a few live recordings - Op.42, Op. 64 No.1 & 2, Op. post E minor - from recitals (1969/77/84) published by Aura and RCP.   

http://www.youtube.com/v/BAeestBW7j0

that's interesting. I didn't know that the EMI CD was recorded over 30 years. I'm looking forward to exploring that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ccar

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2012, 09:26:36 AM
that's interesting. I didn't know that the EMI CD was recorded over 30 years. I'm looking forward to exploring that.

The "19 Waltzes", issued in a single EMI CD, were recorded in Feb/May 1977 and Nov 1978. The other recording dates - 1958 / 1974 - relate to the other  isolated versions of Op.64 No1 & 2, also recorded by Cziffra for EMI but issued in separate editions over the years.     

Drasko

Quote from: Bogey on January 15, 2012, 08:51:55 AM
So, for clarification, did he record ALL of Chopin in the 30's and what are the exact volumes I need to get.

No, he recorded Concertos, Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Scherzos and selection of Polonaises. Volumes 4, 5 & 6.
I have only Nocturnes/Concertos and Nocturnes are wonderful, some are on the fast side but some are truly breathtaking, like 32/2.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubinstein-Collection-Vol-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B00004V5X6
http://www.amazon.com/Rubinstein-Collection-Vol-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B00005426X
http://www.amazon.com/Rubinstein-Collection-Vol-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B00005426Y

Mandryka

In fact the only nocturne that I remember as being truly special from Rubinstein is 48/1. But I'll try to listen again to the Op 33/2.

I still think he's not the right style of pianist for nocturnes. Not deep enough, too straightforward. And I would say that anyone who wants to know this music should listen to all of these before Rubinstein:

, , Op. 9 No. 1, Rachmaninov, Kapell
2, , Op. 9 No. 2, , Sofronitsky Cortot, Rachmaninov (The naxos transfer was a real revelation here)
3, , Op. 9 No. 3, Sofronitsky Richter
4, , Op. 15 No. 1, Sofronitsky Richter, Cortot, Argerich
5, , Op. 15 No. 2, Soffronitsky, Cortot, Busoni, Rachmaninov
6, , Op. 15 No. 3, Pollini
7, , Op. 27 No. 1, Sofronitsky, Cortot, Brand, Virssaladze, Moravec (live),
8, , Op. 27 No. 2, Sofronitsky Moravec, Brand, Virssaladze, Pollini
9, , Op. 32 No. 1, Moravec (live)
10, , Op. 32 No. 2, Ciani, Moravec
11, , Op. 37 No. 1, Godowsky
12, , Op. 37 No. 2, Sofronitsky Moiseiewitsch (live),
13, , Op. 48 No. 1, Sofronitsky, Weissenberg, Pletnev, Gilels, Arrau, Argerich, Rubinstein
14, , Op. 48 No. 2, Arrau
15, , Op. 55 No. 1, Pletnev, Sofronitsky, Cortot, Hambourg, Pogorelich, Cherkassky
16, , Op. 55 No. 2, Cortot, Friedman, Pogorelich, Kapell, Argerich
17, , Op. 62 No. 1, Dino Ciani (Tribute CD), Arrau live on Ermitage, Sirota
18, , Op. 62 No. 2, Pletnev, Sokolov, Pogorelich, Richter
19, , Op. 72, Jonas, Virssaladze, Benno Moiseiwitsch
20, , Op. P 1 No. 16, Pletnev Weissenberg Sirota
21, , Op. P 2 No. 8, No idea

SonicMan46

Now, I have much of Chopin's solo piano works on many discs by different pianists (all on modern piano), but I was wanting to obtain a 'box set' - first thinking of the 'Real Chopin' w/ different performers on period instruments, but just acquired the disc below of the Sonatas w/ Garrick Ohlsson on Arabesque (inexpensive purchase from BRO) - enjoy!

Now there seems to be a number of options w/ this performer, i.e. how many times has he recorded these works?  And which one may be the better choice?  The Hyperion box (16 discs for $75 on the Amazon MP) seems to be a great offering - any thoughts or guidance - thanks - Dave :)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 15, 2012, 03:25:58 PM
Now, I have much of Chopin's solo piano works on many discs by different pianists (all on modern piano), but I was wanting to obtain a 'box set' - first thinking of the 'Real Chopin' w/ different performers on period instruments, but just acquired the disc below of the Sonatas w/ Garrick Ohlsson on Arabesque (inexpensive purchase from BRO) - enjoy!

Now there seems to be a number of options w/ this performer, i.e. how many times has he recorded these works?  And which one may be the better choice?  The Hyperion box (16 discs for $75 on the Amazon MP) seems to be a great offering - any thoughts or guidance - thanks - Dave :)

Dave,  It should be interesting to hear the Chopin Nocturnes performed on a fortepiano ...   ;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on January 15, 2012, 04:25:55 PM
Dave,  It should be interesting to hear the Chopin Nocturnes performed on a fortepiano ...   ;)

Hi Stuart - the box Real Chopin (shown below) is a Polish project which has multiple pianists performing the works on a variety of pianos (Erard & Pleyel) of the times - includes 21 discs - this box has been discussed on the forum, but I'm not sure that I've read any extensive comments from our members?  Maybe I've missed something, but I would be curious to hear from those who know this project and have some specific recommendations - thanks all!  Dave :)

George

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2012, 10:54:35 AM
In fact the only nocturne ...

, , Op. 9 No. 1, Rachmaninov,

He recorded that one?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Holden

Quote from: George on January 15, 2012, 05:21:56 PM
He recorded that one?

No, I don't think so. Op 9/2 and 15/2 are the only ones that I can find and I have the 10 CD set from RCA as well as the GPOTTC
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Mandryka on January 16, 2012, 07:23:58 AM
Deliberate mistake to check you're all still alive.

Yesterday was pretty rough for me, so I appreciate the confirmation.  ;)

Mandryka

I actually meant another pianist whose name begins with an R. For whom you used to be a sort of evangelist in your youth.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on January 16, 2012, 07:36:06 AM
I actually meant another pianist whose name begins with an R. For whom you used to be a sort of evangelist in your youth.

My youth is still alive and well.  >:(

Brian

Yevgeny Sudbin's new recital is a real stand-out in my opinion, and I'd like to hear some other opinions. He is certainly unabashed about his influences in the (fantastically but rather extravagantly written) booklet note: "When I first heard a recording of the Polish-born pianist Ignaz Friedman playing a Chopin mazurka it opened a door to a whole new world for me. The approach was in such stark contrast to everything that I had heard or learned previously; there was so much personality in the playing, with the beguiling rhythmic swings, incredible freedom in phrasing, delicate voicing, a rubato that is more paralyzing than an epidural and articulation that tickles you all over. The approach seemed so original yet extremely natural: a combination of qualities that...led me later to the recordings of de Pachmann, Rosenthal, Hambourg, and Moiseiwitch..."

Indeed, the best description I can think of for Sudbin's own Chopin is "original yet extremely natural," for his playing is both very bold and very 'right.'

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 15, 2012, 03:25:58 PM

Dave,
I just listened to that entire Ohlsson box set from cover to cover! All of Ohlsson's Arabesque recordings are in the Hyperion box; he recorded some Chopin twice, but the other recordings date from the 1970s and are on EMI.

I thought Ohlsson's Sonata 2, Ballades, Preludes, Nocturnes, and especially the Mazurkas were standout performances, while the Scherzi were a little too dry and unvirtuosic, and some of his romanticizing tendencies can become a little too-much (like in the Berceuse). But overall it was a wonderful experience, and the disc with Ewa Podles singing the complete songs is simply divine.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on January 16, 2012, 05:40:20 PM
Dave,
I just listened to that entire Ohlsson box set from cover to cover! All of Ohlsson's Arabesque recordings are in the Hyperion box; he recorded some Chopin twice, but the other recordings date from the 1970s and are on EMI.................

Thanks Brian for your comments on the Ohlsson box - the Amazonians seem to like the offering (9 5* reviews) and at $75 on the MP certainly a good deal; but still debating between that one & the 'Real Chopin' on period instruments w/ a wide assortment of performers; also $75 on the MP, so the price is the same - don't believe that I need both!   :D    Dave

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 17, 2012, 07:29:32 AM
Thanks Brian for your comments on the Ohlsson box - the Amazonians seem to like the offering (9 5* reviews) and at $75 on the MP certainly a good deal; but still debating between that one & the 'Real Chopin' on period instruments w/ a wide assortment of performers; also $75 on the MP, so the price is the same - don't believe that I need both!   :D    Dave

I've had my eye on that 'Real Chopin' box but haven't heard any of it!
Now, I got my Ohlsson box from Abeille Musique's great sale in 2010 - I think it might have cost me about US $40 including shipping. Sorry to make you envious :)

Oldnslow

I think any Chopin lover would enjoy The Real Chopin box. I find all of the performances, often by artists I had not heard, to be either excellent or of  high quality. Erard and Pleyel pianos are generally used, and the whole production is top notch. It is very interesting to hear the complete Chopin on pianos of his time.

Karl Henning

Yes, I've had that in my eye for a while, as well. Maybe in 2013 . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2012, 07:46:49 PM
I've had my eye on that 'Real Chopin' box but haven't heard any of it!
Now, I got my Ohlsson box from Abeille Musique's great sale in 2010 - I think it might have cost me about US $40 including shipping. Sorry to make you envious :)

Thanks Brian for the comments above - stimulated by a post in the 'considering...' thread, I just completed an order at Abeille Musique which included the Ohlsson box which today was about $40 ($35 less than on the Amazon MP) - decided to order 7 items (some smaller boxes - believe 30+ total discs!) - complete order even w/ S/H to the USA was just over $130 - for those interested there are some great deals there at the moment!  Dave :)

P.S. Now I need to decide on the other one?  ::)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 22, 2012, 09:41:39 AM
Thanks Brian for the comments above - stimulated by a post in the 'considering...' thread, I just completed an order at Abeille Musique which included the Ohlsson box which today was about $40 ($35 less than on the Amazon MP)

Nice, Dave!  I've got about five discs of Ohlsson playing Chopin, and I like them all a lot.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot