drogulus

"As an empiricist I continue to think of the conceptual scheme of
science as a tool, ultimately, for predicting future experience in the
light of past experience. Physical objects are conceptually imported
into the situation as convenient intermediaries - not by definition in
terms of experience, but simply as irreducible posits comparable,
epistemologically, to the gods of Homer. Let me interject that for my
part I do, qua lay physicist, believe in physical objects and not in
Homer's gods; and I consider it a scientific error to believe otherwise.
But in point of epistemological footing the physical objects and the
gods differ only in degree and not in kind. Both sorts of entities enter
our conception only as cultural posits. The myth of physical objects
is epistemologically superior to most in that it has proved more efficacious
than other myths as a device for working a manageable structure
into the flux of experience."

-W.V.O. Quine, Two Dogmas of Empiricism
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

North Star

"I weep over my imperfect pages, but if future generations read them, they will be more touched by my weeping than by any perfection I might have achieved, since perfection would have kept me from weeping and, therefore, from writing. Perfection never materializes. The saint weeps, and is human. God is silent. That is why we can love the saint but cannot love God." Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet (tr. Richard Zenith)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Spineur

Confidence is gained in drops, and is lost in liters.

Jean-Paul Sartre

SymphonicAddict

"We are an impossibility in an impossible universe."

Ray Bradbury

drogulus

If something can happen it has. That leaves what can't happen, which hasn't.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Spineur

drogulus

Florestan

I spent the whole week with Moritz Moszkowski's music and it was time well spent. Not least because I found this:

Moszkowski's most celebrated bon mot immortalised  him — a  riposte  to the  pompous pronouncement by  Hans  von  Bülow,  'Bach,  Beethoven, Brahms: Tous les autres sont des crétins' ('All the others are idiots'), to which Moszkowski replied: 'Mendelssohn, Meyerbeer and your humble servant Moritz Moszkowski: Tous  les  autres  sont  des  chrétiens!'  ('All  the  others  are christians!').

(from the liner notes to the Moszkowski / Paderewski volume of the Hyperion Romantic Piano Concerto series).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SurprisedByBeauty

Schreker is my cup of tea:
No one wrote quite so ambiguously -
In elusive harmony.
And if you listen you'll agree.

-

There are rumors which are crippling
It seems he did some fiddling -
On the other hand he sounds sublime:
Tricky business - James Levine.

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Jaakko Keskinen

"Miss Marrable was that hardest of all born tyrants - an only child." - Wilkie Collins
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF

"Your silence must rouse her curiosity, one conversation must leave her wanting more. You've got to play on her feelings all the time. She'll scorn public opinion a dozen times for your sake and call it a sacrifice, but she'll get her own back by tormenting you, and then later simply declare that she can't stand you. If you don't get the upper hand, her first kiss won't give you the right to expect a second." - Lermontov
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Florestan

My chief objection to the innovators is that they aspire to go beyond Beethoven, and altogether dethrone Mozart and Haydn, hitherto the acknowledged keystones to the foundation of music; of course, we lesser lights are to be buried under the ruins of the tottering temples, and I for my part consider myself honored by such sepulture; who knows if we shall not some day or other be dug up like Herculaneum and Pompeii? - Ignaz Moscheles, 1857
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Personally, I consider that we have in Medtner one of the few remaining oases of the old musical outlook - when music was music and not a sport; when it still served as the language of expression; when it was permissible and not ridiculous to feel, and to disclose one's feelings. - Leonid Sabaneyev, The Musical Times, March 1, 1928

RTWT here: http://www.medtner.org.uk/sabeneev_1928.pdf

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

A music critic was sentenced to death and stood before the firing squad. He was asked if he had any final requests — a cigarette perhaps, or a blindfold.

"Yeah," he said, "play 'Achy-Breaky Heart,' but shoot me first."

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on September 24, 2018, 06:52:20 PM
A music critic was sentenced to death and stood before the firing squad. He was asked if he had any final requests — a cigarette perhaps, or a blindfold.

"Yeah," he said, "play 'Achy-Breaky Heart,' but shoot me first."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Just started researching H.P. Lovecraft and I really like this quote:

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind."
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo