What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

yesterday, amongst other (non-classical) things:

[asin]B00005NYAK[/asin]
[asin]B00E6G20E8[/asin]
[asin]B00JM29Q2K[/asin]
disc four of the Schuricht - some Wagner, the funeral march from Ludwig van's third, a Sinfonia by JC Bach, and finally a Beethoven 7.

now:

[asin]B0044ES62M[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

dang - ordering the Pavarotti box, I'm doing a little sneak a peek ... after all, I just bought two of the operas from that box, recently (since I had actually made up my mind to skip this one - too pricey, too much taxes and stuff if I ordered it ... aw hell)

[asin]B005G4YEF2[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Que

Quote from: Gordo on December 06, 2014, 05:14:20 PM
Mozart: Sonatas for Piano & Violin
Gustav Leonhardt, fortepiano nton Walter, Vienna, ca. 1795-1805]
Sigiswald Kuijken, violin [Maggini School, Brescia, mid-17th century)

[asin]B0000029VV[/asin]

Amazing disk in crystal clear sound quality. Here Mr. Leonhardt is by far better than in his (a bit disappointing) solo Mozart recorded on SEON. Even I think these are some of the best renditions of these sonatas that I have ever listened to. Lovely sound of the instruments, specially the keyboard; playful spirit of the performers; tremendous interplay between them and so. Highly recommended.  :)

Is this from the SEON ? I need one! :o ??? 8)

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 06, 2014, 05:57:27 PM
  Although the price of the big SEON box is reasonable, I am convinced it will go much lower, and so am trying to wait a few months before I get it.  You guys are making it very difficult to stick to my plan >:(

indeed, it's torture! :o :D

Q

Que

Quote from: king ubu on December 07, 2014, 12:34:24 AM
yesterday, amongst other (non-classical) things:

[asin]B00E6G20E8[/asin]

Most of your new acquisitions look enticing!  How is is this? :)

Thread duty - from my BRO haul, smuggled in my suitcase through Dutch customs in the early hours of the morning: :D

[asin]B000EHS5QA[/asin]

It was definitely worth it..... 8)

listener

Sunday selection, somewhat out of season
SCHÜTZ: Musikalischen Exequien and 4 Motets
The Monteverdi choir, English Baroque Soloists, Hid Majesties Sagbutts and Cornetts
John Eliot Gardiner, cond.
C. FRANCK: Les sept paroles du Christ en Croix
Choir of the Deutsche Schule Brussels      Sinfonia Classica
Ulrich st. Fauth, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2014, 09:50:41 PM
Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 1. Great work and performance.
I love Mahler 1!

Quote from: edward on December 06, 2014, 05:20:47 PM
Dorati's Chronochromie.

[asin]B001EC6JO4[/asin]

This recording (along with Baudo's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum) was responsible for me having a brief period of great enthusiasm for Messiaen's music many years ago. It didn't last, but hearing it again reminds me what I was so excited about.
Recording noted. I need help with Chronochromie :(. I feel left out for not liking/understanding it, for some reason.

I've only heard the Boulez. What is your opinion of that one?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

mc ukrneal

Quote from: king ubu on December 07, 2014, 01:46:10 AM
dang - ordering the Pavarotti box, I'm doing a little sneak a peek ... after all, I just bought two of the operas from that box, recently (since I had actually made up my mind to skip this one - too pricey, too much taxes and stuff if I ordered it ... aw hell)

[asin]B005G4YEF2[/asin]
I don't know all the contents of that box, but this Lucia is a winner in every sense.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Beethoven String Quartet No.11 F minor op.95 "Serioso" played by the Chiaroscuro Quartet

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Que

Quote from: Gordo on December 06, 2014, 08:08:58 AM
It's great, Que! I know you have had this box set in your wish-list for a long time. You're a methodic guy.  :)

A warm recommendation for this one:

:)

What I do is to let the order in which I get stuff be determined by the opportunity to get it as a bargain or special offer.
Sometimes an opportunity arises quickly, sometimes items are on my wish list for quite some time, until I decide it is enough. 8)
In any case, considering the length of my wish list, I'm never without new stuff to explore! :)

Taking your advice on the Brüggen set:  :)

[asin]B000000SM7[/asin][asin]B009PHRIAE[/asin]

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 06, 2014, 03:48:18 PM
Thanks Que for the alert - I've loved the recorder since my college years and wife plays several among her many other instruments - Amazon MP had it for just over $30 (12 CDs!) - may already own a few of these recordings but will cull out the duplicates - looking forward to receiving the box - look him up and he just died in August of 2014 (age, 79 y/o) - Dave :)

I'm sure you won't regret it, Dave! :) And a good price too, that's what I paid in euros...
Though his early career as a recorder player became somewhat eclipsed by his later achievements as a conductor, Frans Brüggen was an extremely accomplished recorder player and a HIP pioneer in that field.

Q

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on December 07, 2014, 02:20:49 AM
Is this from the SEON ? I need one! :o ??? 8)

indeed, it's torture! :o :D

Q

It's from the SEON box, indeed. One of those rare disks that impresses as perfect from its very beginning... and it's true: this box is a treasure, even considering I previously had more than one third of its content.  :)   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Sergeant Rock

Lloyd Symphony No.7, the composer conducting the BBC Phil

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Lloyd Symphony No.5, the composer conducting the BBC Phil

Sarge

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 2. Amazing work. The criticism that always seems to be given to Bernstein's performances which are he's overtly emotional, excessively self-indulgent, brash, etc. are the very criticisms that could apply to Mahler's own music. But you know what? Lenny crack corn and I don't care! ;D Bernstein's performances always check all the right boxes for me, especially in Mahler.

king ubu

Quote from: Que on December 07, 2014, 02:28:01 AM
Most of your new acquisitions look enticing!  How is is this? :)
I enjoyed it! Though I have to add I'm not familiar with Hasse at all yet, and not overly familiar with Genaux either (I have her great "Arias for Farinelli" disc, as well as one titled "Bel Canto Arias", and then she turns up on a fabulous A. Scarlatti dics, "Oratorio per la Santissima Trinintà", the first one on HM, the other two Virgin Classics).

Now, just popping open this one:

[asin]B00GBJVK0S[/asin]
Discs 1 and 2 - Scherchen doing Beethoven 3 & 6 (Vienna State Opera Orchestra, 1958) and Beethoven 2, 4 & 8 (RPO, 1954) - actually the later three are also on the Tahra Scherchen/Beethoven sets, I assume ... don't feel like looking for them right now, but orchestra and year are identical.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2014, 05:52:08 AM
Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 2. Amazing work. The criticism that always seems to be given to Bernstein's performances which are he's overtly emotional, excessively self-indulgent, brash, etc. are the very criticisms that could apply to Mahler's own music. But you know what? Lenny crack corn and I don't care! ;D Bernstein's performances always check all the right boxes for me, especially in Mahler.

There is a video of him rehearsing Mahler, in Germany, I think, and that's exactly what he says to the orchestra: if you don't make it extreme its not Mahler.
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 07, 2014, 06:02:10 AM
  There is a video of him rehearsing Mahler, in Germany, I think, and that's exactly what he says to the orchestra: if you don't make it extreme its not Mahler.

Yes, I think to somehow downplay the sometimes vulgar nature of this music would be to entirely miss the point. Also, I seem to prefer Lenny's earlier recordings to his older ones.

André

Symphonies by Haydn, Frans Brüggen conducts the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. Sweet.

Anders Eliasson. Horn Concerto. Violin Concerto. On the Caprice label

Monteverdi: various discs of Madrigals. That by Savall and friends is the one I will return to.

springrite

Dvorak: Stabat Mater

Recording one: Sinopoli
Recording two: Shaw/Atlanta

I know the Sinopoli had mixed reviews and its overly dramatic and operatic treatment may not be to everyone's taste, but I just love it!
The Shaw is good but uninspiring by comparison.

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jo498

mystery Schubert quintets, but very good ones!!!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

New, but not from the BRO haul:

[asin]B00C0YN2Z4[/asin]

I was sold on this disc after the first few bars! :)

Edge-of-your-seat kind of intensity.

Q