What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Purcell: Instrumental Music from The Fairy Queen, Dido & Aeneas, King Arthur and Abdelazer
Freiburger Barockorchester/Hengelbrock

[asin] B000001TXS[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

listener

PFITZNER: 3 Preludes for 'Das Fest auf Solhaug'       Symphonies op. 44 (Short) & 46 in C (for large orchestra)
Bamberg Symphony Orch., Werner Andreas Albert, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

Maybe Manfred & Friends can help me like a symphony I've previously never connected with*:

*well, except for the movement everybody knows and loves

HIPster

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 10:55:29 AM
Purcell: Instrumental Music from The Fairy Queen, Dido & Aeneas, King Arthur and Abdelazer
Freiburger Barockorchester/Hengelbrock

[asin] B000001TXS[/asin]

Great choice!   ;)

I'll join you - and probably spin another disc from the FBO box after that.
[asin]B0054MEHZ8[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

bhodges

American Masterpieces for Solo Percussion (Tom Kolor) - Music from Milton Babbitt and John Cage.

[asin]B00HR990GW[/asin]

--Bruce

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on February 13, 2015, 12:43:05 PM
Great choice!   ;)

[asin]B0054MEHZ8[/asin]

When I did see your message, I was confused and thought you were listening to Cantus Cölln.  :-[

So you (indirectly) prompted me to listen to this fantastic disk:

BTW, that set of the FBO looks excellent, too.  :)

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

HIPster

Quote from: Gordo on February 13, 2015, 03:11:26 PM
When I did see your message, I was confused and thought you were listening to Cantus Cölln.  :-[

So you (indirectly) prompted me to listen to this fantastic disk:

BTW, that set of the FBO looks excellent, too.  :)
Hey Gordo!

Yes, the FBO is a winner in all regards.  I've returned, however, to the Amarillis set from earlier in the day (CD 2 Vivaldi).  I have to thank you for the tip on this one.   ;)

Really wonderful!   :)
[asin]B000VZN7KE[/asin]

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Walt Whitman

Telemann: Concertos for Wind Instruments
Camerata Köln

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on February 13, 2015, 03:27:51 PM
Hey Gordo!

Yes, the FBO is a winner in all regards.  I've returned, however, to the Amarillis set from earlier in the day (CD 2 Vivaldi).  I have to thank you for the tip on this one.   ;)

Really wonderful!   :)
[asin]B000VZN7KE[/asin]

You're welcome, dear friend. I love that you have liked: all performances included there have a kind of wonderful "electricity".  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Walt Whitman on February 13, 2015, 03:32:13 PM
Telemann: Concertos for Wind Instruments
Camerata Köln

IMO, the best ensemble playing Telemann's chamber music, especially when the flute is in charge.  :)
-- Voltaire

Todd

From the big Monteux box.  Early 50s.  Prime Kraus.  Prime Monteux.  Superb BSO.  What could go wrong?  Absolutely nothing, it turns out.  Supremely fine Mozart concertos. 

Now, if only the Sony bigwigs would issue Kraus' complete concerto cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Quote from: HIPster on February 13, 2015, 12:43:05 PM
Great choice!   ;)

[asin]B0054MEHZ8[/asin]

Yay! The Freiburger ensemble was a lot better than I expected and Purcell was a delight as always. It was a great compilation of his theater music. Thanks for reminding me about the Freiburger set, HIPster8)   
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Todd on February 13, 2015, 05:13:39 PM

From the big Monteux box.  Early 50s.  Prime Kraus.  Prime Monteux.  Superb BSO.  What could go wrong?  Absolutely nothing, it turns out.  Supremely fine Mozart concertos. 

Now, if only the Sony bigwigs would issue Kraus' complete concerto cycle.

I completely agree with you Todd! Such great performances should not be allowed to wither away deep down in the Sony vaults!
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Sea Drift w/ Thomas Hampson and Hickox conducting the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Fantastic performance. This is a BBC Music Magazine exclusive CD but fellow Delians shouldn't have any problems tracking it down.

Moonfish

Beethoven: Symphony No 7; Fidelio Overture          Chicago SO/Reiner

Anna Lappé

Wanderer

.[asin]B00E9E4HCA[/asin]

Today, the Piano Concerti.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2015, 07:49:12 PM
Now:

Listening to Sea Drift w/ Thomas Hampson and Hickox conducting the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Fantastic performance. This is a BBC Music Magazine exclusive CD but fellow Delians shouldn't have any problems tracking it down.

That looks like a lovely disk, John! Are you by any chance a subscriber of the BBC magazine or did you get that disk from a different source?
Anna Lappé

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B0050F6JQE[/asin]
Disc 8 with the Missa Ave Regina for 8 voices and assorted choral pieces.

All in all a splendid set. :)

Q

Moonfish

JS Bach: Harpsichord Concertos BWV 1056-1060          Leonhardt/Leonhardt Consort/Leonhardt

Probably no better way to slowly build an addiction for Leonhardt's artistry....

[asin] B000000SPD[/asin]
Anna Lappé